Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly where to post this, sorry...

I have read (and remember my mother using it) that Calamine Lotion could be a great way to get a nice white coverage, as in a ghost like look or whatnot. My mother has passed away so I cannot just ask her what she did exactly...so I am coming to all of you... Again, I also read this in several places on the internet, that applying Calamine lotion could get this nice white, ghostly look -or a nice white base to start with for other looks.

Today I bought some and did a test try on my son, and the lotion dried a light pink- not white. I am wondering if they changed the formula / if the tips were old or if there is a specific brand or what.

Also I thought I remembered quite well that my mother used Calamine lotion and cotton balls to make a horrifying texture- along with some oatmeal... I applied the lotion and cotton to my sons face and it did give a pretty gruesome texture...but in pink/fleshy tone...not white...and I *think* the thinner areas appeared to stick well enough...but the thicker, more built up areas were taking forever to dry...so on that point alone, Im not sure if the process is worth it or not.

Anyone else hear of this concoction? know why the lotion is drying pink now and not white? or anything else in regards to this subject?

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
well most likly they changed the formula in it i think, it could also be the skin type it is put on

·
Banned
535 Posts
Buy the generic brand i just had a outbreak of hives few weeks ago from spicy foods and i had that stuff all over and it turned white but it was the dollar store brand so i think it depends on brand and how much dye they put in it if any dye at all ...i dunno if they put dye in at all but my skin was WHITE!

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
well most likly they changed the formula in it, it could also be the skin type it is put on
I am 56 years old and my father is 86 and owned his own drug store. The formula for Calamine lotion has not changed in all that time and as long as I can remember it has been pink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok my brand is goodsense from dollargeneral and i have on hands now and its white as can be.
Okay, thanks! That goes along with the comments that the bottles are only a dollar, too- not the $5 I just spent. :p I hope I can find that brand around here... BTW, I was looking at google images and most the photos look like the lotion turns white. I hope I can find it and it works- would be great to have a cheap easy way to get that base look. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, yea...not. I don't think I want to spray paint myself or anyone else! :p I am just trying to duplicate what my mother did decades ago, using this process. It turned out way kooler than anything you can buy from the stores.

·
Registered
260 Posts
hope you can find it lol hell you should go really awesome and add some old faded blood on parts of the body like they are a murdered ghost

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hope you can find it lol hell you should go really awesome and add some old faded blood on parts of the body like they are a murdered ghost
:)

I've watched my Mom do several things with it; she used it with cotton balls to form an extended witch nose on me (then covered in green), she made my cousin into a mummy, complete with a gruesome undead face (lotion, cotton, oatmeal), and ghosts.

I think it'd be great for ghosts, undead, porcelain doll and so forth. I can't wait to see if I can find it and if it works- it will help me figure out how to achieve several friends and family costume projects. :)

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
When calamine lotion is applied evenly to the skin, it dries in a milky white hue which resembles the ghost white shade that perfectly accents any Halloween festivities.

To use Calamine lotion for a ghost costume for Halloween, you need a bottle of calamine lotion, a few cotton balls, and about an hour of time. Begin by dabbing a little calamine lotion on a cotton swab. Gently and evenly apply the calamine lotion evenly first on the forehead and then down over the nose. Be sure to evenly apply the lotion so that it doesn't dry in pink blotches on the face repeat this process three times to ensure that you get the perfect ghost white hue you want for your ghostly Halloween costume.

In order to achieve the maximum effectiveness for the ghost Halloween costume, be sure to apply the calamine lotion a few layers thick on each area of the skin which is visible. Once you have the calamine lotion applied, you can then put on the costume and apply more calamine lotion to any places where the calamine is visibly thin or applied too thick.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Okay, thanks! That goes along with the comments that the bottles are only a dollar, too- not the $5 I just spent. :p I hope I can find that brand around here... BTW, I was looking at google images and most the photos look like the lotion turns white. I hope I can find it and it works- would be great to have a cheap easy way to get that base look. :)

Just checked DollarGeneral website and they aren't located in western U.S.. Maybe DollarTree is the next place to try for some knock-off brand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts