Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I turned our front office into a Victorian parlor but I wanted to switch it up this year without having to replace all the decorations. So I'm doing a Cabinet of Curiosities / gypsy / Tia Dalma theme. So here are a few pictures I'm using for inspiration:

And the pictures below show the start of my collection. I plan on spending the next 3 months gathering bottles, apothecary jars, wall/spice cabinets, tabletop curios, and other oddities for my collection. I've been hitting up Goodwill, antique stores, and Freecycle so far. I plan on going to my parents house in the country to hike and keep my eye out for birds nest, snake skin, turtle shells, etc.

The jars with water in them are just test runs. I plan on putting coffee grounds in them come time for the party to dirty them up. I've not really put anything together yet, it's all just kind of piled up there. But I think it's already looking fairly cool!

Any opinions or input would be great!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Rikki those are great finds and a fantastic start. I noticed one of the origional pics had a birds wing in the back, maybe you can find one on a fake bird of course:rolleyes:
I love the all the jars and that pic with the skull is F A B U L O U S!!!

Oh and the bird cages I love the bird cages, I would love to see a skull in one of those. Oh and how about some large dark dripping candles???

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking for taxidermy birds or other small animals but they are OUTRAGEOUS! I found a little wren for $60 and a small fox for $110. :eek: But I like the wing idea, maybe I can fashion one out of feathers...

I have a lot of other relevant stuff but it's all put away with the Halloween decorations right now so I'll just have to wait until decorating time to dig it out. I have a very large list (32 items, some of which I need multiples) of all the stuff I'll be looking for.

The bird cages came from a guy on Freecycle. Nice score huh? :cool:

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Great start, Rikki...my favorite thing is the oval picture of the skull sitting on top of the book, that is SERIOUSLY cool. I have that very same black cake stand with the bell jar top, got it at Cracker Barrel (of all places) last year. You have such an excellent eye, I wish I could take a pile of junk and make it look good, but mine all just look like.....a pile of junk!! LOL!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Great finds Rikki!
I'm kind of like hooch though. A pile of jumk is a pile of junk when I try to arrange it. My mother had a really good eye like you....too bad I didnt inherit it!

MsM

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Oh and butterflies, y ou need to have a butterfly in there somewhere:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rikki -- you off to an amazing start. I is already amazing. Can't wait to see the end result. I have a hallway in my house with shelves on each side that I usually cover with creepy cloth because I could never figure out what to put on them. You've inspired me!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Rikki, what a great idea. I like the skeleton keys, I have some from my Grandpa's house. The birdcage was a great find. Were those real parakeets, maybe former pets? (I knew somebody who had their pet pirahna taxidermied.)

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Rikki I was in Homegoods last night and on clearance they had these little boxes of scented flowers and in the middle was one great sea urchin. They were marked from 20 bucks to 5. Check your Homegoods out. I was thinking if you bought or I bought sea urchins not sure they would be cheaper than 5 bucks. anyway check your home goods out they also had coral pieces too.

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
B Scary, glad to be of service! :D
Skulkin, not sure about the parakeets. I saw a stuffed wren at the antique store and it was priced at something like $80!
Spooki, I was just in Home Goods on Wednesday and I didn't see anything like that. :( They had a section of nautical stuff but nothing I could use. Thanks though!

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Let me know if you want me to pick them up for you. I will keep an eye on them Ihave a feeling they will go even cheaper:) If so I can get them for you:)

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a few large crows, a bunch of the Dollar Tree crows, and a big latex owl. There's a little crow in the smaller cage in the pictures...not sure if I'll leave it that way or not.

Spooki, that would be great! If you're in there regularly just watch for them to get marked down more if that's okay. You're so helpful! :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
You should be able to find a wing on ebay, they were popular on womens hats in the prewar years. 1920s - 1940s or so.

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input guys! It's much appreciated.

Here's my (long) list of the natural items I'm keeping an eye out for:
coral, odd rocks, bones, antlers, dried plants/flowers, frog specimen, bugs, moss, bird eggs, snake skin, chicken foot, sea horse, wasps nest, teeth (human or animal), hair, sea urchin, birds nest, butterfly.

And here's my (again, long) list of other items I need:
antique looking globe, hourglass, hand (preferably wood but ceramic would do), old leather books, specimen jars, old photos, tarot cards, terrariums, scrolls, mortar & pestle, curios, wall cabinets, spice cabinets, scarves, vials, apothecary jars, odd/morbid pictures.

I figure I can come by most of this with a little effort. I've got another three months to gather it all. My budget is very small compared to previous years so this will be all the new decorations I'll be getting (unless I find extrememly cheap to free items!). I think it will make an impact though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts