Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend in the Virginia Gazette, their was a picture of several severed heads from Busch Gardens' Howl-O-Scream event in Williamsburg. A few posted that they were offended by the severed heads in light of the recent events overseas with ISIS. When I say a few I mean like 6-7 people. Due to these complaints, Busch Gardens today decided to take down all severed heads that it uses in Howl-O-Scream.

I go to this event every year. I'm very upset, as are alot of other park goers, that Busch Gardens' gave in so easy to a small group of complainers. This is a Halloween event; totally separate from ISIS. I wish they would grow some balls and move on.

http://http://wavy.com/2014/09/17/busch-gardens-pulls-gory-display-amid-complaints/

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Link not working... That is absolutely pathetic. These companies need to grow some backbones, not give in to appease a few feeble-minded morons who think that the world revolves around them and their say is all that matters.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,606 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of political correctness, whatever that may be, I think BG made the right decision. The head props may have been inoffensive to most but in light of the recent atrocites in the Middle East, props like this could trigger a lot of emotions and complaints. Better to be proactive than put up with a lot of crap from others. i'm sure the severed head props won't be missed by many. I remember not putting out a Don Post head on a stake prop years ago after the first publicized beheading of an American in Iraq. I didn't do it to avoid complaints, but I just thought it was in poor taste given the event. I felt better having not used it. JMO.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
The Halloween after September 11, 2001, there were a few news stories (opinion pieces) that asked if Halloween should be cancelled that year.

People were afraid, scary costumes and fake blood might trouble people, etc.

They even found a few people who vehemently agreed that yes, Halloween should be cancelled.

It wasn't.

After weeks of being afraid, angry, worried and stressed, people went out in spooky outfits and attended parties. They collected and gave candy. They watched horror films and read holiday books, listened to creepy music and had fun.
They turned their fears into entertainment, just like we do every October, because they needed a break.

Don't get down when a few raise a ruckus. Don't be upset when worried merchants overreact.
Halloween is waaaaaay too profitable for businesses to hinder it, at least not much.

A few years from now, when someone decides that skulls are taboo, or ghosts, blood, witches, etc., this severed head thing will be long gone from memory.

And the new outrage, whatever it will be?

Like the green of spring and the fruits of summer, it too shall pass, carried away by the gray winds of Autumn.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Once again simple-minded extremely small interest groups get corporations to bow and bend to their every will. 6 people complain and yet 1000's enjoy it. I am so sick of these ***** douchebags complaining about anything and everything. If you dont like something ,don't go, don't look....but please don't ruin it for everyone else.
Selfish ******, the lot of them.

Reactions: StanFam3

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I guess I will be in the minority on this one. I have never considered "severed heads" to be family appropriate. And while hostages are actually having their heads cut-off, I think that their removal from an American tourist attraction is a reasonable reaction. Now, what people do on their own private property is up to them. But a multi-million dollar venue does not need a protest to spring up over "severed heads", especially when be-headings are occurring to Americans and our allies.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
The big mistake was the newspaper that thought, "Hey, of all the pictures I could take of the park and plaster on the front page of my newspaper... I think the best one is of the severed heads." They of all people should have known better. In this light it wasn't really the park's fault.

This debate reminds me of the annual discussion of whether to use a hanging man prop. For my haunt, thought that it would be easier to just avoid things that would obviously offend some groups. But that is for each haunter to decide. Yes, it's stupid to be constantly offended by things that weren't intended to be - but on the other hand there are those people out there and who wants the hassle?

So, at least for this year - if I had any severed heads in the inventory - they'd stay in the box.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
I gotta agree w/Terra & the Col.

I'm also not big on the Halloween PC Police either, but since this is big business we're talking about here, I can't say I blame them. I'm sure the rest of their set up will be fine & yes it was a bad choice of pics. They're in this for the $$$ & if this would hinder that, they're going to take things down or change things.

If it were someone asking to take EVERYTHING down, I'd be against it & I can't imagine their whole scenes are about beheading people, but I totally understand this.

There will always be someone that gets offended by this stuff, but this just feels different for some reason.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Meh. Seems like it's just being done out of respect for the people being killed to me. No biggie, the severed heads will be back eventually. I'm going there tomorrow and I'm sure I won't even notice a few missing props out of all the other great displays and haunted houses they do. Thumbs up for them being willing to do that since I'm sure it would be on the minds of some people.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I agree that we all have to decide for ourselves what our line of respect is - or isn't. Yes, it's true that everything we do at Halloween could be considered disrespectful of some people or some religions, but I'm personally okay with ignoring religious complaints. But I'm not okay with gory severed heads or dummy children eating body parts - so I don't put those in my yard. Just like I don't put potential "real names" on any of my tombstones. Call it superstition, call it respect - either way, I have my own ideas of what is appropriate & what isn't. But I know that others have THEIR ideas of that too, and what they do in their haunt is their decision and not for me to judge.

However - when it comes to a public place/event like a theme park, I think it's the right choice to err on the side of tact & respect at times. I think those kinds of places can still find a zillion scary things to do without a few props going out this year, and like others have said, time will pass & they'll be "acceptable" again by the masses.

If they had never put out the severed heads to begin with, probably no one would even notice that they were missing - but that they took them down after complaints is what makes us notice it. Sometimes it is true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I'm sure in this instance it's the worry about the bottom line being affected that makes the decision.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
I have to agree! I've been to HalloScream many times in Tampa and a couple of times in Williamsburg. They both put on a great event. I am so sick of a few people getting their way over the majority.
I agree that in light of present situations it is inappropriate, but I think they should've had enough sense to either not put it up or to replace them quietly without a big to do.
We all have our preferences for our decorations and if someone doesn't like something they can just avoid it.

Over the weekend in the Virginia Gazette, their was a picture of several severed heads from Busch Gardens' Howl-O-Scream event in Williamsburg. A few posted that they were offended by the severed heads in light of the recent events overseas with ISIS. When I say a few I mean like 6-7 people. Due to these complaints, Busch Gardens today decided to take down all severed heads that it uses in Howl-O-Scream.

I go to this event every year. I'm very upset, as are alot of other park goers, that Busch Gardens' gave in so easy to a small group of complainers. This is a Halloween event; totally separate from ISIS. I wish they would grow some balls and move on.

http://http://wavy.com/2014/09/17/busch-gardens-pulls-gory-display-amid-complaints/

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
How about severed animal heads instead? Oh, wait--that would be for Busch Gardens, Tampa.

Oh, just replace the heads with lighted Jack-o-lanterns. Now, THAT is what I call Halloween!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm alright with them taking the heads down this year out of respect for current events. It's one set of decorations, not an entire celebration. I'm sure they'll make their way into future celebrations. I'm sure the event will be pretty awesome even without them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts