Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Wow ! Nice work! How do you decide on a price when selling something like this?
I know how much time I put into the custom builds and even small detail work....
I find it is best to not think about how many hours I have into them or if I sold something I would be barely covering my materials cost and working for free?
I factor in all of my material costs for sure, but I'm definitely underestimating my labor hours by a lot most of the time. I enjoy making things though so I don't sweat it too much. I'm not looking to make a full time career out of prop making and usually I come to a figure in my head I that feel is reasonable for my time and the materials I have into a project plus factoring in how well it turned out. Whatever profits I make go right back into my Halloween fund to finance more projects.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Not a ton of progress today, but I finished making char on the entire post and put a coat of black latex paint over it to sturdy up the foam a little. I've got one more day off to work on it tomorrow before I start my next shift rotation at work. Hopefully I'll get the post finished so I can move on to starting the hot coals. No new pics other than the feet reattached to the footrest.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got the post char finished today and reattached the hands to the back of the post. I've got some rusty chains cooking in vinegar salt and peroxide that will be added later. Now I'm finally at the point where I can set the post and body aside and start work on covering the base with hot coals. I'm still trying to make the post and base separate for storage and transport because this thing is getting heavy and I fear the post may break at the base if it was lifted wrong. Working on the first two of three tutorials for this build. #1 for the post and #2 for the body. #3 will cover the hot coals. I hope to upload at least one of them later tonight. Until then, here is some video of it in action from today...

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am impressed with the quality of work you do and the "Art work" is amazing! Best of luck with the sale of it!

Last year I made 3 Swaying Zombies with the intent of selling one off as it is easy to make multiple props after the design is done on first one. People kept telling me that he looked so awesome I should sell them and make $....
I advertised on buy and sell with a video attached even and had 800 views but NO Sale?
I reduced price to less than the cost of materials even..... nothing? this was even in September...
Just a heads up to others that our "hobby" is not a money making venture!
Do it for the fun.....!
I have made nearly every sale on every item I have ever sold through my Facebook following. Even Etsy shows the majority of traffic to my store comes via Facebook. I have considered posting larger things on Ebay or Etsy, but shipping such big items seems to be way too expensive so I only ship small items and sell big ones as local pickup only, or the buyer will need to arrange for shipping it at their own expense and risk of damage.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
TUTORIALS ARE UP for the pvc post and the burnt body. Once I get the glowing coals built underneath I'll post that one too, but we have all pretty much seen 100 different versions of Great Stuff with lights in it. Once built mine will probably be no different in basic construction other than general appearance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You are an amazing craftsman. I have "borrowed" many of your ideas for my props over the years. Just a quick off topic question if I may. How do you make the Trachea for your corpsed skeletons? That little intricate detail is what makes your props so unique. If you want to keep it a secret I understand. :)
The "Burnt Witch" is just awesome. I would love to visit your haunt someday. Great job!!🎃

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I searched high and low fot it locally and nobody close by carries it. Not even Home Depot or Lowe's. I wound up ordering a case of 12 online for around $80. Winds up being around $7 a can from where I ordered. It was not the pond stuff. It's called great stuff multipurpose and comes in a grey and black can.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts