Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone feeling burnt out with the coming Holiday? I spent all summer working on just three props and they aren't even done yet. After going on vacation, I no longer even feel like working on them and finishing them up. I'm in a slump and need some pep. I love seeing all the other haunts coming together but, I feel mine now will be so underwelming after all the stuff from last year. It doesn't help that it's in the 50's and raining. I'm usually all gung ho about this time of year.:(
Am I the only one that feels it will not come together in time and depressed about it?

·
Banned
535 Posts
Not depressed about it but bunred out for sure. When i get like that i take a break from it and do something else for a few days if possible.

·
Hauntless
8,349 Posts
I'm burned out too. I think I pushed myself a bit too hard this year and so I'm taking it easy this week. I want to keep this holiday fun for me so I'm taking a breather so the enthusiasm kicks back in. I'm sure it will.

By the way, I've taken off a few projects off the list so I can do this. I believe that's a good call. Thank goodness for next year ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
when I start to feel burned out ,i watch the great pumpkin to remind me how fun halloween is. Maybe that'll work. I'm feelin kind of upset because I can't go out for halloween and can't really decorate because I fractured my leg. I have trouble going out shopping for decorations. MOvies like Halloween can also get you in the spirit.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I'm stressed this year. My house and garage are overcrowded with things I picked up this year for my Mother Goose theme. I'm starting to not be able to find items I bought. The majority of my Halloween stuff is still up in the attic, and though I'm not going to use a lot of it, I still need to go through the bins. I can't bring them down until I move stuff out of the garage and onto the lawn. But I'm still making some things. I should have stuck to my original game plan but then I got sidetracked into doing a couple additional scenes. My set up is going very slowly. The weather has been great but I had to work yesterday so I lost that time. Today is still warm but then the bottom falls out this week! I just want to be done with this set up already. I guess I need a little positive attitude adjustment!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I can sympathize. I've been feeling burnt out on making things this season because there's been so much going on lately. That and I seem to be catching every little sickness that goes around.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I tried to get back into the spirit yesterday. I figure I already had a week off with my vacation out of town so had at least do a little. I opened my box of pnuematic parts I ordered just before leaving and of course something they sent was the wrong size. That didn't help me at all. So I started cleaning some windows to hang more stuff in. Didn't find the things I really wanted to hang so ran to Spirit. I bought some new stuff for my windows. Let me tell you, the Door Gore are NOT cling on. The two cats they have that are black with orange backgrounds are so large they don't fit any of my windows. You almost have to cut the cat into a third to get it to fit so I never even tried. They are almost door size! The big green face I found taped up with four squares of sticky tape went pretty well. The light shines through it and looks great outside. I just wish they had the cat eyes still. I think I'll put my light flasher in the room with the face so it shows off and on. I put out my blow mold pumpkins and chained them to the trees and the little signs I've had for years for the little kids.
I'm doing a little better today, Tue. I think some of the depression was from coming back from the vacation and thinking of all the stuff I still need to get done. Today I'll work on my pneumatic spiders and put out my small blow mold pumpkins around my deck.
Maybe the trip to Spirit really worked for me. Just looking at all the great stuff they had and thinking of the future of what I can do. Thankfully, I'm so broke I couldn't really buy much. lol

Good luck to the rest of you. I hope some of the spirit returns to you and you can do a little at a time to get over the slump.

Growler

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
I'm getting a bit burnt out myself this year.

I really shouldn't have taken on the school project at the last minute like this. Everything with it seems to be holding a curse, running over budget and requiring re-design. I've never built anything like it to be PORTABLE before, which is causing me some headaches. The parts I really NEED were not in stock in any of the hardware stores, so I've been forced to make my own, only to have them break 3 times now, before settling on the ugly, but effective, duct tape.

Everything else was under control and going well. Now there's too much to do and not enough time, and some things will get trimmed.

So, I'll be better once I finish this school project. (HOPEFULLY, I'll be done with everything but the painting by tomorrow...unless something ELSE goes wrong) And, with it's basics done, I shouldn't have the same problem NEXT year, assuming I'm asked back, that is. I'll just be adding details, not building from the ground up.

So, I'm DOING stuff just fine. I've committed to a deadline. I'm just not ENJOYING it much right now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Besides the personal feeling of accomplishemnt with creating something out of your own imagination that you can't buy in any store, just imagine what the ToT's think as they walk up your walk or drive towards your front door. Imagine the awe , the "man is that scarey....or cool!", or the "How did they do that?" the little ones, and older ones, will feel as they walk past or stare at your props and decorations.

Once, I had a little Tot taking insterest in alot of the props I made. He was just 3 or 4 I think and I couldn't bring myself to break my statue pose and jump out at him in custome on the way in but he must have seen me do that to an older Tot soon after (or heard them scream...hehe) because he walked over to me with his Mom on his way out to say thank you and heard him talking to his Mom about "how great this house was". That is my inspiration, and makes all the time & effort I put into it well worth it! You can borrow that but I will need it back!

Make a list of what you need to finish and start on the first one. You will be amazed that you will find the energy, drive, and desire to create something that will amaze.

Good luck and Happy Haunting. If you need help with anything create a post and help will arrive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
OMG I thought I was the only one! I am so burnt out! My husband made me go outside and work on our exorcist bed yesterday! Now I have to finish and just don't feel like it at all!! We even planned to have some people over on Halloween and I'm just not feeling it all. Maybe April was to early to start this year. Growler I know what ya mean about the window things. I bought 2 this year the mummy which is really cool and the eyes. I agree they are SO BIG you have to cut so much off they kinda lose the whole effect. Well I hope we all get back in the mood soon!!

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Oh I so get what your saying. I mean, I was wipped out a month ago but somehow the halloween spirit always finds me. :-D Also, if I were spending so much time on something like that, I'd be exctied to show it off. Hang in there. 17 more days!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,875 Posts
I'm burnt out too!

My house got damaged by Hurricane Ike back in September (I'm in Houston, TX) and we just last week got the worst of the damage repaired.

I've got stuff strewn all over a two-car garage in pieces and a couple of big projects that I just can't get to work (flying crank ghost is really messed up).

We're going ahead with a party on Nov. 1st.

I am feeling overwhelmed and depressed and having anxiety filled dreams about things screwing up, me forgetting something or things breaking. :(

I kind of want to just cancel the whole thing and go away for the weekend, but I'm hoping to work through the crappy feelings and get back into the spirit of things.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
I'm burnt out too!

My house got damaged by Hurricane Ike back in September (I'm in Houston, TX) and we just last week got the worst of the damage repaired.

I've got stuff strewn all over a two-car garage in pieces and a couple of big projects that I just can't get to work (flying crank ghost is really messed up).

We're going ahead with a party on Nov. 1st.

I am feeling overwhelmed and depressed and having anxiety filled dreams about things screwing up, me forgetting something or things breaking. :(

I kind of want to just cancel the whole thing and go away for the weekend, but I'm hoping to work through the crappy feelings and get back into the spirit of things.

Wow, sorry to hear about the house damage.

We've been remodelling, and have had a few things go awry in the process, so it's still not finished. And to top it off, I had to fix a leaking roof last weekend in the snowstorm, and a water main burst right in front that made the city tear out our street and part of our curb.

I know exactly how you feel about the dreams of screwing up. I got 1/2 my school project's frame set out last night, and didn't sleep for fear it was going to fall apart AGAIN. It was still standing this morning. We'll put the other half up tonight, and hopefully get it all painted. That'll take a huge load off my mind.

I don't work tomorrow, and the kids are out of school. We'll be setting up Project Nightfall in the yard. I'm hoping that will help snap me out of it and let me start enjoying the process.

This is, basically, the make-or-break weekend for me. Everything goes right, we'll be back on schedule and I can settle down a bit. My luck stays how it's been, and more things go wrong, I will be having a very bad 2 weeks to end the month.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,875 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about the house damage.

We've been remodelling, and have had a few things go awry in the process, so it's still not finished. And to top it off, I had to fix a leaking roof last weekend in the snowstorm, and a water main burst right in front that made the city tear out our street and part of our curb.

I know exactly how you feel about the dreams of screwing up. I got 1/2 my school project's frame set out last night, and didn't sleep for fear it was going to fall apart AGAIN. It was still standing this morning. We'll put the other half up tonight, and hopefully get it all painted. That'll take a huge load off my mind.

I don't work tomorrow, and the kids are out of school. We'll be setting up Project Nightfall in the yard. I'm hoping that will help snap me out of it and let me start enjoying the process.

This is, basically, the make-or-break weekend for me. Everything goes right, we'll be back on schedule and I can settle down a bit. My luck stays how it's been, and more things go wrong, I will be having a very bad 2 weeks to end the month.
Yeah, we had roof damage with water damage inside the house because of the roof. LOTS of fun. :mad:

It sounds like you've filled your quota on bad luck - it just has to get better, now, right? (oh crap, did I just jinx you? :eek: )

I hope this weekend works out for you and you're over the worst of it. At least you'll have most everything set up or figured out and that always seems to make me feel better.

Lots of (good) luck on getting things done and feeling more in the spirit!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have seen it here, and another forum, some of us are just burnt out or having "haunter's block" as I call it. I have been this way all year, I have had no creative thought processes for my haunt this year.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
Well, we didn't quite get everything done this weekend, but I identified the problem I've been having.

We use Powergrab to hold just about everything. Been using it for the last 6 years with no problems. For whatever reason, either they've changed formulas or I bought a bad case of it this last purchase, but it's crumbling. Just crumbling into dust...which is rather odd for a glue...
It's the whole case of the stuff, too. Bad lot or something. Locktite has said they'ld look into it.

So, at whit's end Sunday evening, it has come down to....

DUCK TAPE! woohoo!

The heck with it. I even bought BLACK duck tape today so I can pre-paint everything tonight and just tape the heck out of it for the show on Wed.

Got a dry run tomorrow night to make sure all the switches work and we're not blowing the school's fuse. I can start setting up for real at 1:30 on Wed, and need to be able to get it all up, and into my costume for the 4:30 start.

There's a light at the end somewhere, I just can't see it yet.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope everything goes well with your school setup. I wonder if duct tape comes in flat black? It would make life much easier for you.

This last weekend was spent on the boat. So much for getting things done around here too. I've spent hours on trying to set up my piccoboo and the wireless remote to work with my fake rock and spider popper. Nope, this morning I finally gave in to the fates and tore the rock down and I'm just using the spider. Disappointing to the extreme but, now I at least know that it will work correctly each time and not try to blow the spider right through the rock. I can also put the stuff back in my trash can pop up and use that again this year.
Send us some pics of the school set up.
Oh, one year while in 6th grade I helped my teacher set up a scarey haunted house at some other school. We used the chairs/desks and tarps and black sheets. The kids had to crawl their whole way through it. We hid under the non passageways and used things to make eery sounds and reached out and touched kids. You could hear them screaming all over the classroom. lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
try going to a professional haunt for fun. It really gets me excited. And then, if you have pics or vids from some of your past stuff, you could look through them. Hang in there. I flip flop back and forth sometimes with burn out too, but then those SCREAMS bring it all back around.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
I hope everything goes well with your school setup. I wonder if duct tape comes in flat black? It would make life much easier for you.

This last weekend was spent on the boat. So much for getting things done around here too. I've spent hours on trying to set up my piccoboo and the wireless remote to work with my fake rock and spider popper. Nope, this morning I finally gave in to the fates and tore the rock down and I'm just using the spider. Disappointing to the extreme but, now I at least know that it will work correctly each time and not try to blow the spider right through the rock. I can also put the stuff back in my trash can pop up and use that again this year.
Send us some pics of the school set up.
Oh, one year while in 6th grade I helped my teacher set up a scarey haunted house at some other school. We used the chairs/desks and tarps and black sheets. The kids had to crawl their whole way through it. We hid under the non passageways and used things to make eery sounds and reached out and touched kids. You could hear them screaming all over the classroom. lol

Have you thought about re-shaping the rock to avoid the problem with the spider? Probably for next year at this point.

The Black duck tape I have is not exactly flat, more of a satin type finish....which is actually ok, since all the stores were OUT of flat black, so I'm painting everything satin black anyway.

Or, I should say painted everything.

It's all painted, and I finished my appliances last night, so the makeup's all ready to go.

I gotta tape 3 lights into place, and the 2 main switches. Make 'curtain rings' out of a bunch of zip ties, and download the 2 MP3's I need tonight, putting one on the ipod and one on a cd.

I'm now at the nervous/excited stage or hoping everything works, and that people like it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts