Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very excited about this prop, so i'm going to post pics along the way. i need a fullsize skeleton. I am searching for a cheap one as i want to keep this prop affordable, I've been able to find some online for the $20 range but am always defeated by ridiculous shipping charges...

Here are some pics showing my progress on the "Pit of coals"
01.jpg starting with a 42"D piece of 3/8 plywood

02.jpg make sure the lights work

03.jpg first can of great stuff

03.jpg onto the 3rd can here

04.jpg lights on in the light

05.jpg dark

07.jpg some paint, and lights on

08.jpg adding some bones, and charred logs... still fine tuning the paint

09.jpg smoldering log

012.jpg hollowed out the skull to accept some light, logs need more paint still

a little video as the prop sits now, what do you think? ideas? criticisms? all welcome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks awesome! Cant wait to see the finished project! Question, what color lights are those? They look orange but i could be wrong. I'm gonna do the same thing on my cauldron creep this year

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fantastic effect, and nice touch with hollowing out the skull to pick up some of the light. As with Dangleman, can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for posting this I am going to be doing one probably this weekend. How many strings of lights? I am going to steal your idea of cutting up bottles to make it higher in spots. My only fear is what happens if the lights die. I've had string lights die quickly on my Christmas tree!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi

That looks great. I was having the same trouble as you with poseable skeletons been very expensive in the UK, so I decided to have a go at making my own. I needed pirates but I was thinking as you are probably doing a burnt witch, I thought you may be able to use the same idea but dress it with a burnt sort of gown/nightdress and tie it to the stake. I have just put a post on how I made cheap and easy pirate skeletons and thought it may save you some cash also.:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
great look wish I would have put lights in my lave/bunt earth on my skull panels, in response to lights burning out the thing I would have done differently that I
did do on my skull panels was to aply the lights behind the plywood by drilling holes my light go into the eye sockets have put three colors to flash differently to music

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used 4 strings of 35 light in this one. I debated putting them through the bottom to allow for fixing burnt out strings. But I decided not to. I may regret it, however it is possible to carefully cut the foam away from the plywood if absolutely necessary. I can not take credit for the pop bottles as I stole the idea directly from another thread on here, but I did use other plastic packaging scraps as well as bottle tops and bottoms. The lights are orange, with one string flashing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put in a couple more shifts on my prop last week, here are some step by step pics.
First i got to work making my Stake. I used foamboard for this.
014.jpg
015.jpg
Lets give it a smoldering effect
016.jpg
018.jpg
The victim, i cracked and bought a 5'2'' Skelly (just doubled the cost of this prop) oh well
017.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg
022.jpg
test hang.

So after standing back and looking, it still needs work, maybe a few more logs smoldering, a few more bones. wondering if i should "corpsify" the skelly, blacken it, dress it in charred rags...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very creative! Yeah, same as you I need a full size skeleton for a good price.....but shipping charges are insane. I wanted to build a " Iron" cage for the skeleton and hang the hole thing from a tree limb in the yard. Perhaps next year. I like your prop a lot! Now if you could get a fog machine to pump "smoke" up through the ashes....?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am already trying to think of a way to hide a fog machine in/near it. Easy enough if I stack up some real logs for it to sit on, just not sure how it would look. If I were to build a second one I would make the "coals" tall enough to hide it beneath, as well as acess to the lights. I also have 2 fire light from grandin road on order that I will try and incorporate into the prop as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Very creative! Yeah, same as you I need a full size skeleton for a good price.....but shipping charges are insane. I wanted to build a " Iron" cage for the skeleton and hang the hole thing from a tree limb in the yard. Perhaps next year. I like your prop a lot! Now if you could get a fog machine to pump "smoke" up through the ashes....?
That's my plan for mine. I'm going to build a great stuff glowing log for the stake that's hollow. Punch holes through the GS with a screwdriver and cap the top of the stake so that it smokes out the hole and through the coals. Flipping between "charred corpse" and "BBQ pit" scented fog.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts