Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to win a custom mask from a new business. Our theme this year is asylum and the mask we chose was based on a plague doctor. The company does all of their masks hand stiched and burlap. So ours is a full head mask that will have the long nose and will be black burlap with white stiches and some silver steam punk type goggles. (with a zipper mouth) Its really cool but...WHATS the costume going to be???

I was wanting to attempt an orginal costume with the unique mask but I'm having a HUGE mental block. I still havent decided if my asylum should have a more specific theme like german asylum or steam punk or old world feel etc etc.

At first I thought to con't the design though out with like black body paint and white thread but that would take a long time and I am going to be running around with finishing touches for the party.

Any ideas on what I could have the costume be? I would show the mask but it hasnt been released to me yet, I just saw the work on instagram. :)

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I picked up a similar sounding mask at HAuNTCon this year and I am making my own costume as well. I picked up the wool cape at Goodwill for $10.00 which I am currently distressing. I also purchased burlap I will be making a tunic and long skirt to go under the cape. The distrssing of the cape fabric is done (but not shown :)), it has been tea stained, spray painted, leather dyed, etc. etc, I am just in the process of attaching zippers and stitching all over it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think you should go with steampunk as a base -- it lends itself to a lot of things, like post-apocalyptic, SF, fantasy, 18th through mid-20th century (plus the aforementioned medieval) ... you can turn a lot of things into steampunk.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trex, you got the mask from the same company I remember that one there. Yeah we received ours in the mail and the zipper they put on...lol makes it look like he is smiling. Reminds me of a weird joker situation. Everytime I look at my husband in the mask I start to laugh. We also realize that he can't see out of the goggles. I dont want to alter the mask but maybe add to it with out destroying. But I think I might have some ideas now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts