Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scatter, I was actually just looking into getting some burlap to possible make a mask to cover my lopsided Ground Breakers (still under construction) head... and found this Burlap - Assorted Colors : Utility Fabrics : Home Decor Fabric : Fabric | Joann.com since there is a joanns sorta close i might just go up there.. but the price doesnt seem to bad.
I know JoAnns carries burlap...so you should be in luck. I'm also looking for the old potato sacks to make scarecrows with

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
JoAnn's, with a coupon. Entire rolls at a time...

The Swap meet in Riverdale has some occasional goodies, including fabric, you being local and all...

The local (riverdale) potatoe farmer died about 10 years ago, and they've turned the land into homes. I still see lots of vegetables for sale at the swap meet, but not too many potatoes (and thus sacks). Might try a farmers market in the fall.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JoAnn's, with a coupon. Entire rolls at a time...

The Swap meet in Riverdale has some occasional goodies, including fabric, you being local and all...

The local (riverdale) potatoe farmer died about 10 years ago, and they've turned the land into homes. I still see lots of vegetables for sale at the swap meet, but not too many potatoes (and thus sacks). Might try a farmers market in the fall.
I've never been to that swap meet...might have to check it out

·
Registered
326 Posts
It actually looks like it's cheaper to buy at Home Depot. Unless, my math is off, HD is charging about $2.02 per sq yd and Joann is charging $2.99 per sq yd. You can get the fabric in wider pieces at Joann's, so that something to consider. I am surprised that the fabric store is so much more. I need to find a feed store and see where they buy their feed sacks.

EDIT: My math was wrong. I thought the roll from HD was 2ft x 24ft, but it is actually 3ft x 24ft which makes it $1.20 per sq yd.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
It actually looks like it's cheaper to buy at Home Depot. Unless, my math is off, HD is charging about $2.02 per yd and Joann is charging $2.99 per yd. You can get the fabric in wider pieces at Joann's, so that something to consider. I am surprised that the fabric store is so much more. I need to find a feed store and see where they buy their feed sacks.
That's why you need the 50% off coupons for JoAnn's. It covers "a single cut of cloth", usually. :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's why you need the 50% off coupons for JoAnn's. It covers "a single cut of cloth", usually. :D
Even with a 50% coupon you would be paying $1.50 per sq yd versus $1.20 per sq yd.

I think I will make friends with a local rancher or farmer who buys feed or corn in burlap bags. :D

I can see myself now! Rolling around in the mud fighting pigs to get one measly feed sack for my monster mud creature! Oh the things I do......:eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
You're talking about the gardening cloth at home depot? The online price is 10.47 for a 3' x 24' (8 sq yards), breaks down to $1.35 per sq yard. (shipping and etc would need to be added to that, but I bet the price is the same in the store)

Last year Big Lots had that stuff for dirt cheap. I'ld check there if that's what you're after.

As for JoAnns, there's a number of kinds of burlap they have, different weaves and thicknesses. I don't think they are all $2.99.

And, you sometimes get better prices for buying entire bolts.

Last year, I bought a 40 yard bolt for $102. With that 50% off coupon, it was $51 for a 40 yard bolt. That's $1.27 per sq yard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts