Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some of you know I normally don't set up until the end of the month. For various reasons, I'm taking a much slower and longer route to setup.

This is also my first year "back" to full time haunting after 3 years of construction at the house.

The main project for the year is Trevor 2.0.

You can see much of it's work here: https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/2019-follow-along-cadaver-tomb-trevor-2-0.201025/

As such, a lot of the yard is reusing what items I have left from Trevor 1.0's outing in 2012. https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/the-recondite-unorthodoxs-2012-theme-open-discussion.112312/

I'm not a big keeper, preferring to start largely fresh, but many of the 'tombstones' were still available with some touchup, along with a few newer 'stones' that will fit in with future plans as well.

Then I have a slew of "small" projects.

I really wish I could find the post where this idea originates, but someone last year made some paper mache 'spirits' coming up out of their graveyard. And, I marked the thread for reference later as I knew I was going to 'steal' the idea. Unfortunately, the forum 'upgrade' has made it where I can't search up my mark...

So, if you are that person, thank you, but I'm taking the concept a little different direction. This first attempt was a packing tape ghost concept of the idea...I've since moved on to a heatgun and plastic means of production, but only seem to have video, not stills, with no way of uploading...so concept:

On the setup side of things, we've started with the fence...I'm not completely happy with the idea of the pallet fence and fitting with Trevor, but it's free, and a 'proper' fence is on the list for future years, plus that pallet fence will serve as a good shelf for pumpkins at the carving party, and as support for a few of my famous bifurcated pumpkins to light the sidewalk.

I've broken the yard into 3 sections this year.

Front will be the graveyard. Depending on what I have time for, the 'return of the living mounds bars' concept from last year will return, with coconut either forming a walking path or breathing graves (time permitting) or both.

The side yard, and into the back will be our traditional harvest area we normally have out front, while the back yard is going to stay focused on the circle, candy drop, and creatures

I'll try to get more pics up and running soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good so far. The rising spirits idea sounds fun id like to see that thread too!
Looks like they quietly rolled out an advance search update, so I found it!

The Skeleton Crew, I'm blatantly stealing your ideas!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like they quietly rolled out an advance search update, so I found it!

The Skeleton Crew, I'm blatantly stealing your ideas!
Your welcome.

My original concept was to mount them on a translucent acrylic base to be lit with a black light from below so they would glow. After much tinkering I just couldn’t get the lighting to work so I ended up painting them with UV reactive paint instead. They look solid during the day and glow at night. I have since created a second version (2.0) that is made entirely out of cheesecloth and freaky fabric; very similar to your clear tape version. This allows me to light them from within to give them a freakishly ethereal appearance. By the way Killer revamp on the sarcophagus.

Prototype with acrylic base

Night view (no lighting) just glow reaction from UV paint

Night view with yellowish / orange LED lighting

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Looking good. I like the idea of the packing tape ghosts coming up out of the graves. That may be something I'll steal for next year for my cemetery. As far as the path lights go, maybe throw some creepy cloth over them, or use gels to tone them down. I don't know what other lighting sources you will have that will help safely mark the path the TOTs will be taking through the yard so it's really hard to say if you should turn them off completely or incorporate them somehow in to the haunt.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good. I like the idea of the packing tape ghosts coming up out of the graves. That may be something I'll steal for next year for my cemetery. As far as the path lights go, maybe throw some creepy cloth over them, or use gels to tone them down. I don't know what other lighting sources you will have that will help safely mark the path the TOTs will be taking through the yard so it's really hard to say if you should turn them off completely or incorporate them somehow in to the haunt.
Right. Guess I should provide that...

Lets see, last year (chairs around the fire pit are there for the party on the 30th, but moved for halloween night):

I did have the 4 pathway lights along the tripping hazard at the far end of the patio.

Without chairs, but cell phone camera...

I will say, we spent some considerable effort in improving the fire pit from last year. It was always trying to do blue flame last year. Fixed that problem, so it provides more light these days.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Right. Guess I should provide that...

Lets see, last year (chairs around the fire pit are there for the party on the 30th, but moved for halloween night):

I did have the 4 pathway lights along the tripping hazard at the far end of the patio.

Without chairs, but cell phone camera...

I will say, we spent some considerable effort in improving the fire pit from last year. It was always trying to do blue flame last year. Fixed that problem, so it provides more light these days.
Your pathways seem to have been well lit last year so you really don't need the pathway lights. You could always go and put some faux Jack-O-lanterns over them in case you wanted to leave them on.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your pathways seem to have been well lit last year so you really don't need the pathway lights. You could always go and put some faux Jack-O-lanterns over them in case you wanted to leave them on.
Faux...heck, I could cut a hole in some of the jacks the kids make and just use them as lights...I like that idea!

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front will be the graveyard. Depending on what I have time for, the 'return of the living mounds bars' concept from last year will return, with coconut either forming a walking path or breathing graves (time permitting) or both.
So, Uno and the breathing graves.

I originally built 3 several years ago. At the time there was a group buy on reindeer motors. However, prior to halloween a neighbor who was just getting into haunting come over and we were looking at everything and talking, and their kids were running around and tripped on the wiring, yanking the wires right out of the motors. So, they never worked on Halloween.

I stuffed them away until this weekend. Removing the motors, wiring new ones (as I still had some from the group buy) I plugged them in and they looked pretty darn good in the afternoon.

Can't see them at all at night. Playing with the flood lights, I'm unwilling to put them high enough to get the graves more visible as it kills my shadows. I'm going to try one accent light option I thought of in the night this evening, but if that doesn't work, I'm likely scrapping that idea for the year.

The only other option would be to use leaves instead of the coconut. Bright leaves are more easily visible.

None of the trees are dropping yet. Hell my trees havent even started TURNING, and usually don't drop till snowfall.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I probably play with lighting way too much.

However, I figured it might be fun to walk through my thoughts with some of you folks.

Little bit of a change from the above lighting, we're circling in on a final base setup. You can see I've set up Trevor's base. What you can't really see is that it's surrounded by 3 breathing graves. The path will walk people by this, and I did a lighting test (my son and I walking around with things and looking at the breathing graves, so no pic), and I'll have a pair of gas lanterns lighting the graves and face of the tomb.

(lanterns from last year to give you an idea.)

What I'm seeing here, however is a need to light the sidewalk better. Especiall back and to the right. I'll make a couple of my bifurcated pumpkins poking out of the fence to accomplish this.

Bifurcated pumpkins used as lighting:

Sliding down the yard, there's a noticeable black hole to the right of Trevor.

A tombstone or two there will start to fill that in, but it's a great area to try out those new spirits.

Finally, the gate...

I'm handicapped here as I haven't rebuilt the fence yet. I usually liked to use this as a fairly hard visual separation between 'zones' (see pumpkin shot above)

The garden to the right will be our corn field, there's straw bales to the left of the path for pumpkins at the party. Preliminary plan is a couple torches for lighting, but I'm a little worried that won't get the ground good enough.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It's all starting to come together and looking good. I'm sure that you will figure out the right lighting in some of the areas you have concerns.

I noticed that you have a window well close to the path. I have one as well right next to the sidewalk that goes from the top of my driveway to my front door. The sucker is 6 feet deep by almost 6 long and 4 feet wide. I try to keep the TOTs from walking past it and have them use a path through my yard from the main sidewalk near the road. But TOTs still manage to go past it. I worry about one of them falling into it. So I plank it with either deck boards, or 2"x4"s or 2'x6"s and I either put props on top of it, or set a bunch of JOLs on top of the planks. Last year I put my large spider on it, this year I have my little red devil sitting on it and I will put some JOLs on there as well. If and when I get my covered front porch built I will be re-doing my sidewalk from the driveway to the door and move it away from the window well. Then I plan on using the window well to look like a cellar door and do sort of a monster in the box effect that gets triggered to look like something is trying to get out of the cellar.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're into day 2 of vacation now.

Return of the living mounds bars has expressed itself as the pathway this year.

Graveyards really aren't "my thing", and this is about as main stream as I get, so I'll likely have a lot of people telling me this is their favorite year.

Cornfield around the side, if you look close, that's Father at the back, he'll get a freshly carved pumpkin head as will the scarecrows. And, by the children's demand, Cropper has come out of retirement as well.

Oh, and Talia on the way to the dance last night in a little thing I've been working on.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
So, looking for opinions here. Something I didn't have to worry about last year, but we added pathway lights through the back yard in the spring.

Would you disable/remove them for Halloween? Try to get some gels to color them?
Plonk pumpkins over them.,

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where to start...

Wind. COLD. Snow. COOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDD!!!!!

This is how the morning of the party began.

Between the wind and snow, I'd scrapped plans on the spirit skulls after the first few blew over and/or away.

Fun fact, breathing graves don't work when they are basically a chunk of ice either.

Party temps were going to start around 28 and go down from there. A lot of local events were cancelling...

Images from the party. Temps were cold enough the pumpkin pieces were freezing almost as soon as they were pulled out of the pumpkins (pumpkins kept in the garage to keep from freezing prior)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts