Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of a product called a flasher button?
It's a round disc that fits at the bottom of a standard light socket that when a bulb is screwed onto it; makes the light bulb flash at varied rates.

My local Home improvement store has these for 5 dollars; but Im not sure how well they work. Im trying to replicate the flickering lights effect on my outdoor recessed lighting. Has anyone used these?

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Walgreens used to carry these at Christmas for about $3. If you are trying to get incandescent bulbs (with standard sockets) to blink independently then these should do the trick.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
If that works, I may have to go get some of those... that is an interesting little gadget.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Eyegor,
I've seen those before! My older brother used to use those back in the '70's when he was dating, they worked great back then, I didn't know that they still made those. Be careful that you put them in the socket the right way around, he caught one of his lamps on fire by putting it in the wrong way!:eek:
Now that I see that they still make them, I'll have to look for some, just think of the effect that you'd get by using this in a flicker circuit (florecent starter wired into a standard circuit) Instant lightning!!:D:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Eyegor,
I've seen those before! My older brother used to use those back in the '70's when he was dating, they worked great back then, I didn't know that they still made those. Be careful that you put them in the socket the right way around, he caught one of his lamps on fire by putting it in the wrong way!:eek:
Now that I see that they still make them, I'll have to look for some, just think of the effect that you'd get by using this in a flicker circuit (florecent starter wired into a standard circuit) Instant lightning!!:D:rolleyes:
I didn't know that it had been around since the 70s. it must be good if it has stood the test of time. I plan on using them in 5 of my recessed lights outside. But $30 bucks for a light effect...Im not quite sold yet.

I wish there was a video of it. I'll buy one to test it, and post the video here if no one else does. I think the effect will be really neat, and a lot better than flipping the lights on and off!

Does anyone have a video of this in action?

I have a couple of these. I am not sure what type of effect you are looking for, but these are going to give you a very steady blinking pattern rather than a "flicker" . :)
Wait, so the blink?:( How fast? I was going for a flicker effect...I guess the flasher buttons won't do the trick, Bummer!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
mine probably blinks about once a second ? I also have a half a dozen starter type flicker circuits I use and there is definitely no comparison between the 2. :rolleyes:

If you have room in your recessed light fixture, you might be able to make a screw in flicker circuit that you can use. Maybe using one of those light socket to plug screw in adapters ? :D

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
EASY way to get a flickering is with "The QuickNEasy Flickerer" Located about midway down the page here: Gaslight on a Budget

It's SIMPLE, and effective.

My experience with these is that both the wattage of the bulb and the starter can effect flicker brightness and speed. So, play around with the two to get the effect you want before finishing the connection.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine probably blinks about once a second ? I also have a half a dozen starter type flicker circuits I use and there is definitely no comparison between the 2. :rolleyes:

If you have room in your recessed light fixture, you might be able to make a screw in flicker circuit that you can use. Maybe using one of those light socket to plug screw in adapters ? :D
I don't have enough room in my light fixtures for a florescent starter or any other type of adapters. I barely have finger room to unscrew the bulb from socket. I was hoping the flash buttons would do the trick.

Is there anyway to add/hide a florescent starter inside of the bulb itself?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
what if you just made something to accomodate a smaller bulb socket/bulb ? You could make something using a C9 or appliance type bulb ? That way you would have roomin the fixture for your starter and bulb in there.

I was thinking something along the lines of a screw in "light socket to plug adapter". Come out of that with the end of a cheap extension cord into your starter/smaller light socket assembly.

just a thought...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
We messed around with these back in high school science. The rubber heats up, expands and breaks contact with the socket. When it cools, the contact comes back and the light is back on and the process keeps repeating...or something like that. I was more interested in the carbide and water lecture!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts