Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Trying to remember that but I usually just use the bendable ruler, not wire.

I've used wire to make a hook in the back of the haunt gate and wire to make a decorative frame in the middle of one of the stones. But, I don't remember saying using wire to make angles. But, I post a lot so I could have...:p

·
Registered
334 Posts
im using wire for my barbie stone (Abigail LeFey is the name on mine for those of you who know that scary story,,) if you bend the wire (i used a left over copper wire from some house electrical work) around an object that is roughly the size you want,, it comes out pretty smooth,, i used a ice cream tub to get my wire to the shape i needed.

Terra - where did you get your bendable ruler? i looked around but couldnt find one..

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great videos. I get my stone shapes by simply going to a cemetary with some crdboard and a sharpie and just trace them. I then just cut them out and can use them over and over again. I have also always used 1/2" pvc pipe in my stones. however I use 2" pink foam and just use a long drill bit to drill a hole in the bottom of the stone. I then pump some liquid nail adhesive in the hole, shove in the pvc and then add adhesive around the bottom of the pipe. Just another way to accomplish the same end result, although you have to be very carefull to drill a long straight hole or out the side of the stone the bit comes.

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
Awsome work Terra, The videos were great. Where do you purchase your foam from ? Also is there a difference in the pink or blue?

·
Registered
805 Posts
For the most part blue and pink are the same. You will find a darker blue, almost purple, that is used below the ground against foundations. That foam is extremely dense and more expensive. I have never used it, only the blue stuff. I do not know where you live but remember that stores like Home Depot have the ole “match competitors price and beat it by 10%”. This program was advertised much more years ago but I asked just Sunday about it and it is still in effect. I am fortunate to have a Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards all within a 20 mile radius. The 2” blue foam runs 18-19 bucks a sheet here in Michigan. On sale you can find it 16-17 bucks. Wait until someone has it on sale and take the ad to the local depot and they will match it and beat it by 10%. I bought 12 sheets (re-doing all my tombstones thanks to Terra :confused: ) and saved about 65 bucks. Just a thought.

·
Registered
459 Posts
In this photo, where you have raised letters how did you make them? did you put acetone or something on the area around the letters to eat away at it?
Good question! Normally I don't use an existing tombstone shape. What I do is search around other designs of stones and try to emulate the particular shape I liked. For example, take a look at the picture of a real stone. I loved the way the aging, shape and shadows made it look like there was a real monster in this stone. Do you see it?

So, I come up with approximate measurements that I think I would like and then start to build it.

Here's the completed stone but, be easy on me. This was my very first stone I ever built. I got better :)

It is difficult to get a symmetrical shape to a stone. Here's what I do. Mark the dead center at the top of the stone and bend a flexible ruler to the design you like. Then place it on one side and trace it out. Flip it over and repeat for the other side:

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Spookilicious Mama bows down to the great Terra!! "Im not worthy, I'm not worthy" ! Seriously Terra thanks so much for this, I love the pvc inbetween the two stones, I always put them on the back but this is so so much better. Also love the look of the stone in the tutorial, stealing that!:D If thats ok with you that is:eek:

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,623 Posts
Thanks a lot for the video terra, I don't think I will get around to making my own this year but it's really good for future reference

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you, Terra! This tutorial makes my life sooooooo much easier. Now I know exactly what foam, tools, paint supplies I need to make it sturdy and look more like real stone. Most helpful was definitely the PVC in between boards. I had a hell of a time with the wind last year and the ground in my yard is very hard. I'm so grateful my landlord likes my weird obsession with Halloween!

41 - 60 of 126 Posts