Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
that attachment is the Multi cutting attachment,, comes with 2 or 3 bits even,,,,, usually around 16 to 20 bux at your local store,, or mine at least. :)

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone and thanks for answering the questions for me TheReapersWs6. I have been driving to Transworld and settling in and haven't had a chance to get online very much.

That jigsaw ripping question: I haven't had that happen to me but I had a thought. I have the guide for the jigsaw blade butted up to the blade. I was thinking that perhaps your saw blade is moving around too much?

Here's a direct link to that cutter attachment I use for the Dremel:

·
Registered
334 Posts
You're welcome Terra! Hope i didnt step on toes answering those. I just like to lend a hand when i can.

Dont feel bad halloween71,, i only used mine to port and polish throttle bodies for LS1 F-body cars (there are actually a few camaro police cars in florida that utilize my Throttle bodies for law enforcement!! is that cool or what!!) until finding this site, its nver been used for anything else,, until now!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
My question is, what do you start out with to trace if you don't already have a tombstone? Do you just go buy those cheap ones at the store, and trace those on the styrofoam or what?

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My question is, what do you start out with to trace if you don't already have a tombstone? Do you just go buy those cheap ones at the store, and trace those on the styrofoam or what?
Good question! Normally I don't use an existing tombstone shape. What I do is search around other designs of stones and try to emulate the particular shape I liked. For example, take a look at the picture of a real stone. I loved the way the aging, shape and shadows made it look like there was a real monster in this stone. Do you see it?

So, I come up with approximate measurements that I think I would like and then start to build it.

Here's the completed stone but, be easy on me. This was my very first stone I ever built. I got better :)

It is difficult to get a symmetrical shape to a stone. Here's what I do. Mark the dead center at the top of the stone and bend a flexible ruler to the design you like. Then place it on one side and trace it out. Flip it over and repeat for the other side:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Terra; You should honestly just sell your designs or something so I could trace them. Yes I'm lazy, lol. I've seen your work and you truly are amazing. I'd hope my tombstones look half as good as yours. I just don't have as much time to invest, so I'm looking for some quick workarounds, etc, so I can have a graveyard this upcoming halloween.

Anyways, thanks again!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I just watched them again. Great videos, Terra! Very informative.
One question--where do you get the scraping tool you showed? Also is that what it's called-scraping tool?
Thanks for taking the time to make the vids!

·
Registered
334 Posts
i also found that tool, under a different name, at Sears,, was 4 bux,, exact same set up though,, lets you get into tight places that a long flat rasp would not let you get too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I do a lot of research on Google images and especially at my local cemeteries. I usually combine my favorite design elements that I find into one stone instead of trying to emulate just the whole design. There is a myriad of ways to just get the name on the tombstone such as low relief or raised letters. Check out the tombstone font thread for ideas on all the different fonts.

The diversity of this prop build is what draws me to it. It's my blank canvas. That probably creates a roadblock for some people, but you can always come up with something that makes everyone smack their forehead and say, "I wish I had thought of that!". Look at Uruk-Hai's latest Lovecraft creation or how Terra keeps putting out such creative renderings.

Unfortunately, really quality stones actually take some time to produce. It's very rewarding though. I've lost track of all my new stonework this year as they are all whisked out of the garage to the storage unit. I'm not really sure what it's going to look like once they're all assembled together. I'm lucky that my neighbors let us take over their yard as our lawns are connected. Once my tombstones improve, I move the sillier versions a little East onto their lawn and it ties everything together.

PS, Terra, great idea to achieve symmetry in your stones. I had forgotten about that trick and did way too much work on a Gothic tombstone recently trying to make it dead-on even.

·
Registered
334 Posts
man, me too,, and both my kidz always ask me,, "did you learn anything new from Terra today?" "What ideas did you get from Terra that we will build this weekend!" They think she's the best thing about Halloween,, and i have to agree.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the most awesome home made tombstone I have ever seen! Great tutorial! I hope I can find the time to make a few for Halloween this year. Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

T

·
0 Posts
terra, i noticed that in one of your posts you mention using wire to help you with some of your angles etc.. do you mind saying what gauge of wire you are using?? i have tried two different gauges and just can't get it to bend properly for me.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts