Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you remember, I made a video tutorial of how I paint my tombstones to give it that aged, realistic look. Since then I have gotten a few requests to make a 'prequel' video: How to build Halloween tombstones. Well, TaDa!

And, for no extra charge, I stepped in front of the camera. (Found it easier to film this way). So, <gulp> Here I am :D

Painting Halloween Tombstones vid:

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
You even did the backside. Now that is dedication.

On another note, it's great seeing some spider insperation on a tombstone. I've got a sweet spot for them and I've never seen a spider themed thomb stone, which, was a really good idea.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GREAT VIDEO..! Stay infront of the camera it great how you can see every step and how you do it..! More please :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great vid Terra! Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us.

Job well done!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Terra, Thank you so much for putting this together! I am making my first tombstones this year and this really gives me all the basics on how to do this project!! You're the best!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Terra, you've done it once again. If I die tomorrow and go to heaven, will I get to make props in your workshop?

Your passion and devotion show through in every tutorial you present.
Thank you for taking the time to share with the Halloween community.

PS, I am looking forward to the Hauntcast antics.

G

·
0 Posts
thank you Terra, for making this!! Great tutorial! :)
btw- love the spider web design! gonna have to steal that! lol

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone. I was thinking that spiders were a new take on tombstones but I HATE spiders... <shiver>

I forgot to mention in the video but you may have noticed that I drilled two holes in opposite corners of the plywood base. After I set the stone over the rebar pounded into the ground, I use twine and tie off the stone to tree stakes. I do that for thievery protection. Once the grass grows up around the stakes, you don't see it and I figure that after pulling and pulling, the little rascals would give up. I don't think it adds anymore wind protection but If the wind is super crazy...they still aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My foam is sitting in the basement...I am still sheepish to attempt my first tombstone!! However, this tutorial has given me the proverbial " kick in the patootie", so I am going to tackle it this weekend. What type of glue is in your glue gun? I assume dry lock is purchased at home improvement stores, and monster mud is found online? Once I finally take a crack at this I have a feeling it will come easier. Wish you were my neighbor. I too, am a cul de sac chick.

·
Registered
334 Posts
monster mud is made from paint mixed with drywall joint compound,, get a big paint mixer (around 5 bux) to get it mixed good..

the glue she uses is foam board adhesive,, can be found at your local home inprovment store,, be sure to get the exterior kind

Drylok is found in the home improvment stores as well,, maybe even walmart

·
Registered
612 Posts
Terra, I have a question.

I've normally use a handsaw to cut the basic shape of the foam to start and just tried using a jigsaw for the first time on foam. It was randomnly sized scraps so that might have something to do with my problem. Whenever I got near the edge of the foam, instead of being able to cut all the way to the edge, my foam cosistently snapped right off.

Any tips on, uh, not breaking the foam apart with a jigsaw so that I can actually get two matching pieces?:eek:

Worst case scenario, I find my lost lucky handsaw and step away from the power tools on foam.

·
Registered
334 Posts
are you pushing the saw through the foam, or letting the saw cut through the foam?

Another thing you can try is to "butt" up another piece of scrap to the edge of where your cut will stop,, let the saw go into that scrap a bit,, which is after your project piece,,,i do that with wood when drilling to keep the other edge (the edge the tool is comin out of) from splintering.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts