Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought the unstable bridges were a little corny but I like the one they have at Spirit this year. Anyone have any tips for making one? It doesn't have to be springy, just with some movement as a distraction.

I read a tutorial about using half a rubber ball screwed onto the bottom of each upright but am looking for other ideas. Maybe something a little sturdier. I can see that breaking at some point during the night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I will have to check that one out as I want to build one. I have a friend that uses a chain bridge which would probably give the same effect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is pretty easy to recreate that bridge at Spirit. I built one using 2" Elasbelt webbing that is used in upholstery and it took about 2 hours. It is a 2 person job to stretch the material and screw it in but it works just like the Spirit Hallowbridge on display this year. Could easily be built with a pallet or a couple 2x4s and 6 or so 1x1x3. Just make certain you butt the slats tightly together when you screw the webbing to them as it stretches out. My 1x1x3s were 3' and the side rails 2x4s were 38" in length. Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Any pics during construction or possibly a tutorial?

It is pretty easy to recreate that bridge at Spirit. I built one using 2" Elasbelt webbing that is used in upholstery and it took about 2 hours. It is a 2 person job to stretch the material and screw it in but it works just like the Spirit Hallowbridge on display this year. Could easily be built with a pallet or a couple 2x4s and 6 or so 1x1x3. Just make certain you butt the slats tightly together when you screw the webbing to them as it stretches out. My 1x1x3s were 3' and the side rails 2x4s were 38" in length. Good luck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I actually got a flashlight from my car and went and looked closely at the one at spirit this weekend and all it is, is a couple belting straps, almost like seat belt strapping, fairly easy to build I would think and wouldn't cost near what others want for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was a quick build so I didn't take any pics but I will snap a couple and send over so you can see what it looks like. It is super easy and the Elasbelt is a cheap material that gives you the perfect "spring effect" while still keeping it firm. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same material Spirit uses for it's prop.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It was a quick build so I didn't take any pics but I will snap a couple and send over so you can see what it looks like. It is super easy and the Elasbelt is a cheap material that gives you the perfect "spring effect" while still keeping it firm. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same material Spirit uses for it's prop.
Please post your pics here. You guys have me very curious about this project. Especially if it does not require much of a skill set.:D

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I am also interested in building one. Thanks for the info-looking forward to the pics!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am definitely interested in this build and would love to make one also. The ones at Spirit go for $500 and it is a call list to try to see if you can get one. Other places want $1500 for just the bare bones bridge itself with no frame.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here are a few pictures that show the finished project. Sorry I did not take any build pics. Our plan is to distress it and add ramps at the end. You can easily add (8) 2x4s on the side and a cover to create an enclosure.

If it is of interest I can put together a more detailed tut but is really is super easy. The one item I forgot to mention in my other posts is I added washers on the frame to allow for a little gap on the sides so the slats easily go up and down. That may not be needed if you do better measurements when you cut your wood. I am just lazy, measure once, cut once and jerry-rig any issues.

Adults walking across will force the slats to touch the ground below just like the Spirit Hallowbridge, but kids can run across with that not happening. Just have to pull hard to get the material stretched. You can see on one pic that I did not pull hard enough on the left and the gap is a little wider than the right. Easy fix but... (see previous lazy comment).

The nice thing about these is you unscrew the side rails after Halloween and you can roll it up and store pretty easy.

- Stereo

IMG_1076.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my question is given what you have and what you did. What would you say was your total cost for this project? And it looks great BTW.
What you see in the pics cost me around $50.

Roughly $30 for the wood which I both purchased and used what I had laying around . Low grade wood is best since you will want a distressed look anyway and it is cheap(er). You could easily get by with pallets for certain and that would reduce expense to below $25.

The Elasbelt is $20 on amazon (link) Maybe cheaper on ebay, don't know.

Plus screws and washers but I just used what I had, but you can estimate around $5-$10 for that.

You can go high end and add a roof, etc and I would expect that to up your price by $20-$100 depending upon the look you are going after (e.g. tarp, trusses, metal, etc)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just ordered the webbing for the bridge. Should be able to knock this out before Halloween. Thanks for the webbing info, just what I was looking for. I learn something new here every day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and info. I ordered some webbing as well and might have to see if I can tackle the project this weekend. I would like to have it in combination with an infinity mirror affect on either side....great inspiration! Thanks so much for the pics on how the webbing goes. Our neighbor just uncovered a weathered pallet and I might have to see if I can get it from them. I like free very much.

So, do you create the frame first, stretch the webbing and then add the slats?

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the first one, I built the slats first and determined that was not a good way to go, so on the second one I built the frame first and then added the slats and it worked much better. Just make certain you butt all the slats tightly together and screw the webbing down.

I keep remembering little tricks I forgot to mention earlier. You will not want to stretch the middle first because it will be virtually impossible, you will need to pick a side and stretch it like crazy then screw it in. Then stretch the opposite side like crazy (I put my feet on the frame and pulled it back like rowing a boat). The middle is last and easiest.

Thanks for the great pics and info. I ordered some webbing as well and might have to see if I can tackle the project this weekend. I would like to have it in combination with an infinity mirror affect on either side....great inspiration! Thanks so much for the pics on how the webbing goes. Our neighbor just uncovered a weathered pallet and I might have to see if I can get it from them. I like free very much.

So, do you create the frame first, stretch the webbing and then add the slats?

·
Registered
70 Posts
On the first one, I built the slats first and determined that was not a good way to go, so on the second one I built the frame first and then added the slats and it worked much better. Just make certain you butt all the slats tightly together and screw the webbing down.

I keep remembering little tricks I forgot to mention earlier. You will not want to stretch the middle first because it will be virtually impossible, you will need to pick a side and stretch it like crazy then screw it in. Then stretch the opposite side like crazy (I put my feet on the frame and pulled it back like rowing a boat). The middle is last and easiest.
Sweet! Thanks for the insight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts