Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first new build for 2014 (all new).
This is the Spectre, influenced by other props I've seen for sale (Please let me know what you think this is influenced from)

Not quite finished, still needs some additional paint to give more depth, more 'dangling bits, more hair needs to be laid, etc.

firstlayer.jpg secondlayer.jpg

Also here a real quick look at the build steps:
Building-sm.jpg

You can see that the body shape is a paper mache base on an inflatable mannequin (photo 1)
Then the base is removed and filled with expanding foam, celluclay for a rough shape, ribs added and another layer of paper mache & latex (photo's 2 -4).
Clay details are added (photo 5)
Paint and more details (photos 6 - 7)

All comments welcome

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that the ribs are 1/2" & 1" round foam insulation used for insulating doors & windows. Lower arms are the foam insulating pipe wraps.
The Hands are coat hanger frame with 1/2" foam used to bulk the fingers.

Coat hanger wire was laid in the paper mache "cast" to run from the head to stomach and down both arms to add strength. The expanding foam was then added and bonded the wire to the cast, as well as fill out the body.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Very smart building him from such light-weight materials as foam insulation, ex ceta. If it swung and hit someone they shouldn't get hurt. But the prop might need repairs.
I would build this from sheet metal or Heavy steel.. I don't like "Fixing". If they punch it, they won't punch it a second time! hahahah!
Steel makes it much more difficult to walk out, hiding it under their jacket too!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh I like this ! were you working after "Midnight in your Studio" on this one ?;)
So how did the inflatable form hold up ? Will you be able to use it again ? I have always thought that would be a good idea for a P/m form..
Fantastic - I have been wanting to build something similar - you got the jump on this one :)

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very smart building him from such light-weight materials as foam insulation, ex ceta. If it swung and hit someone they shouldn't get hurt. But the prop might need repairs.
I would build this from sheet metal or Heavy steel.. I don't like "Fixing". If they punch it, they won't punch it a second time! hahahah!
Steel makes it much more difficult to walk out, hiding it under their jacket too!
I don't know about smart, but it's all I have available, only things I can work with.
Thanks!

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I like this ! were you working after "Midnight in your Studio" on this one ?;)
So how did the inflatable form hold up ? Will you be able to use it again ? I have always thought that would be a good idea for a P/m form..
Fantastic - I have been wanting to build something similar - you got the jump on this one :)
Yes, Yes I was working close to Midnight in my Studio!
The inflatable is fine, it can be used again & again. I'm looking at real mannequins for sale as well (as cheap as possible).

Many of the things I make are based on an 'influence'. With my limited talents & abilities though, they rarely look like the original. I guess that's good in one way, by the time I'm done it looks like an original idea as it looks nothing like the source.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is really fantastic! I like the fact that you were able to build it up from mache and use the foam to fill out and stiffen it up. Nice job on the detailing too. I would love to make a few of those for next year's haunt. Thanks for the details.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the expanding foam - are you using the Stuff in a can or the two part chemical reaction type ?
I have both & I prefer the 2 part as it expands evenly, but I had a can of Great Stuff that was open, used slightly for Halloween, and I didn't want to waste it. Also it's hidden on the back, so it was OK to use (I hope).

·
Registered
854 Posts
As always Doc it's a pleasure to see what you're up to. I like your work - it has grown more talented over the years. proven in your reworked props.
I do have one question though - how do you save a can of Great Stuff to use later? I've always had to throw away the unused portion.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have "saved" a can of foam by screwing screw into the nozzle end (Not too far!) after I removed the nozzle, of course.
when you need to use it again, unscrew the screw replace nozzle. The nozzle might have ti have a screw put into it also, then removed.
Your results may vary.
They have been selling that stuff so cheap it is hardly worth saving a part of a can.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As always Doc it's a pleasure to see what you're up to. I like your work - it has grown more talented over the years. proven in your reworked props.
I do have one question though - how do you save a can of Great Stuff to use later? I've always had to throw away the unused portion.
First off, thank you for the kind words.

As GM says, a screw in the nozzle will keep it usable for awhile. I try to use as much over a short period as possible.
I hate throwing out anything (which explains my clutter problems ;))

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For comparison, here's my second favorite version.

Yeah that's the general look I was hoping for, I was aiming between this one and the 'Spell Casting Spectre'. The folks at MS are real artists and their stuff is 1000x better with detail etc. so you know aim high and hopefully land somewhere decent.

However, my version is around $15 - $20 in materials (effort is a different story)

Thanks

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Looks great Doc! The M/S prop is a thing of beauty but yours is an excellent rendition, at what I'm sure will be less than a fraction of the cost.Looking forward to the progress.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts