Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start building a mausoleum for my yard haunt. I want to build something about 4x6. Currently looking for styles. Please provide any advice and/or pics you can.

Thanks!

This is what I've collected so far.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,087 Posts
Nice pics!

My best advice is to measure everything carefully... for big stuff like this, the materials tend to add up, and it really is a huge pain to accidentally cut something too short or mess it up by going too fast. :rolleyes::eek: (speaking from experience)

Also, unless you're experienced doing the elaborate props, simple is better. You can always add on later down the road if you get a basic design that you like. But trying to do a really fancy/intricate design when you aren't really confident in how it will turn out might result in you getting frustrated. (again, been there, done that :eek: )

Good luck and post pics of your build!

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scareisburg,

Your pics are great! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Something light weight that breaks apart and stacks neatly.

Here's my design for my mausoleum. I'm building it all out of 1 inch dense styrofoam. The infrastructure will be 2x2s. My hope is to put 3 or 4 skeletons on stone beds within the mausoleum.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is one I like from Raven Monaor. Simple to build and it breaks down into very managable and stackable pieces.

Raven Manor : Projects : Mausoleum
That's an impressive build, and I like that he included the dimensions. I'm building something similar, but I will be using 1 inch styrofoam.

Thanks for the link - it's really helpful!

·
Registered
916 Posts
My concern with 1'' foam would be the ability to withstand wind. I dont know what it is like around you in October but here we frequently see winds in the 40-50mph range. I have to keep that in mind with everything I build. My haunts sits out for a month and that makes a difference as well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I glued the 1" foam to 4X8 sheets of 1/8" sheets of hard board(Masonite) I put mine up in an
Ohio State Park on Lake Erie where the wind never stops and have never had a problem.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not too concerned about wind. The area I'm putting the mausoleum in is protected from the wind by trees and houses. My main concern is making something that looks good, and is light and easy to store.

I think the 1 inch styro will give me the thinkness I need for detail, but will stoll be prety light. The 2x2 sub-structure should proved enough strengt and support.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I put a couple of concrete blocks on the inside to hold it down and some pavers on the roof, but we didn't have winds that strong. I used 1/2" foam to keep it cheap but if I were to do it over again I'd use thicker foam and/or the backer shilo mentioned. Mine was not finished inside just painted flat black for the FCG. You could put foam on the outside and the masonite on the inside for a finished look. I also use door hinges to fasten the corners together

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
TK421, I used foam board glue it comes in a tube for use with a caulking gun, I ran out and also used adhesive caulk, I also use some roofing nails to tack it to the 2x2's and some cement blocks to weigh it down until the glue cured. Make sure to put the blocks over the 2x2's so as to not break the foam.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are you planning to let people walk in? I ask because of the layout of your skeletons. If so, is there concern of people punching holes through the foam? Im no expert on foam, but I guess I would give wood at least a one time look. Its going to be heavier but I would imagine more durable. You could be a bit more flexible with where you put your lighting as well.

On the other side of the spectrum. How about corrugated plastic? Would be light weight and possibly more durable than foam. I believe the larger sheets are a bit of a specialty item so not as easily available at hardware stores. However I am pretty sure they make 4 x 8 sheets of it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice...I'm also building one of these...
Where is the best place to get 1" styro in that quantity...are the stryo sheets smaller pieces? Or large sheets?
I'd like to get locally, if possible...Does Home Depot or Lowes carry this material?

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you planning to let people walk in? I ask because of the layout of your skeletons. If so, is there concern of people punching holes through the foam?
My plan is to build the mausoleum as a prop to be displayed beyond a graveyard fence. No one will be allowed in or out. I'm going to put a few skeletons inside, and some lighting.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice...I'm also building one of these...
Where is the best place to get 1" styro in that quantity...are the stryo sheets smaller pieces? Or large sheets?
I'd like to get locally, if possible...Does Home Depot or Lowes carry this material?
I've been reading another thread that says 1" foam is hit or miss in California. Usually, you can find it at Home Depot or Lowes. That would definitely be my first place to check.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you can should take you drawing with you when you go to depot or lowe's and walk around the store and look at stuff that you could use that would look like what you want to do.like sonet tubes for colums, colum caps for the base of your colums,premade styro trim pieces,etc.what could I make with this ...Also You can use contact cement to glue the foam to mansonite with a roller the place dowels on the wood and place the foam on the dowels line up the foam excatly where you want it(this is a one shot deal)then remove the dowels one at a time starting in the middle and work your way out removing dowels then press down on all of it and you done with that part.just make sure the glue isn't solvent based or it will eat the foam.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I've only ever found the pink foam (Foamular by Owens Corning) at Home Depots. I would check the Owens Corning website because only certain Home Depots carry it. The largest thickness I've ever found is 1". They just don't use that type of insulation here, which is certainly a bummer!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts