Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this? When are you supposed to spray on the activator? I put some on my fence last night and then sprayed it after about 15 - 20 minutes. I looked this morning but it doesn't look very rusty. Maybe I didn't mix the paint enough. Any tips?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
o_O

You people are paying $240 a gallon for this fancy crap?

Here's how to do it cheaper:

Buy:
1 gallon latex primer
1 bag of sand
1 bag of cat litter
2 1 quart paint cans with lids
2 gallons of paint according to the patina you want (brown and a dark red or rust for iron/steel, green and yellow for copper). Feel free to use more than two colors to get the effect you want.

paint the surface to be rusted with primer.
to make a pitted rusty surface - Take one of the quart cans and fill 2/3 with primer and stir in sand slowly until full. Apply this as a second coat over the surface to be rusted.
to make severely rusted areas - Take the other quart can and fill 1/2 to 2/3 with primer and stir in cat litter slowly until full. Apply as a third coat in the areas you want to be extra rusty and decomposed.
For the patina, thin out the darker color and apply as a wash. After that is dry, drybrush the lighter color to highlight the sand and cat litter textures.

Takes a minor bit of extra work between mixing some paints and applying a couple extra coats of paint, but you can get done the job done for about 1/4 the price with very similar results.

There are other additives you can add to a quart of primer for different effects too, like sawdust or wood or plastic shavings, drill bit turnings, etc.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pumpkinhead, I was close but was off of the instructions a little bit. When I looked closer there was some rust forming.

Blarghity, no I paid like 6 bucks for the sample kit at MHC this summer. It is plenty for what I want to do which is add some rust spots to my fence. If I were doing something large scale I would do faux painting like you suggested but for what i am doing I think this is fine. The sample will cover a lot more than what I want to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts