Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know about you guys, but in here in San Antonio we have a brush pick up a few times a year. This is for people who need to throw things away that you can't usually throw away in the trash (couches, brush, T.V's, etc.) Well it just so happens one is going on right now and the thing that I'm seein alot of being dumped are wooden panels to old fences, which in my head I see toepincher coffins. I could seriously make 10 coffins at the LEAST with the wood that people are throwing away. I've picked up great things before like some vases. I was wondering if anyone one else has this in their city or town and if you ever go treasure hunting?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but in here in San Antonio we have a brush pick up a few times a year. This is for people who need to throw things away that you can't usually throw away in the trash (couches, brush, T.V's, etc.) Well it just so happens one is going on right now and the thing that I'm seein alot of being dumped are wooden panels to old fences, which in my head I see toepincher coffins. I could seriously make 10 coffins at the LEAST with the wood that people are throwing away. I've picked up great things before like some vases. I was wondering if anyone one else has this in their city or town and if you ever go treasure hunting?
I go "treasure" hunting for Halloween on a daily basis. I am always on the look out. I try not to spend any money on Halloween. It is amazing the stuff you can find. I got a Christmas reindeer for free from a "for free" pile on the . I used the motor and the lights from it. I am constantly snag pallets and use them for crates for monster in a box. I also am getting more pallets for a dog house and a coffin. Lots of house hold appliances hold little gems if you tear them apart. I got a rotisserie motor for free from Craigslist(ironically from a prop department at a theater because they didn't know what to do with it). I think it is so much more fun to find and reuse stuff then going out and buying props. Happy hunting!!!!!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
I'm in Houston, and I lost all of our 6 foot high board fencing in the hurricane. I thought about keeping some of the sections for builds, but even my fencing guy said that the wood was so messed up that it just split when you drive a nail into it (it was old wood, he was going to try to salvage some boards to save $$$). :(

So if the wood is REALLY old and dry, it may not be optimal for using in a toe-pincher.

In my neighborhood, they do the heavy trash pickup every Saturday. I have mentioned to my hubby about doing a wee-hours-of-the-morning dash around the neighborhood to grab goodies off the curb! :D

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Ours is once a month and you can put stuff outside and by the time you reach the door to go inside your stuff is already gone. Down here people snatch things up the night they go out then they take it to the flea market and sell it for a profit. i do keep an eye out but usually all the good stuff is gone:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts