Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, every year the street outside my restaurant in downtown Toronto is closed down for a big out door Halloween party, and I decorate the front of the store.

This year, I'm planning on having a big witch from the Spirit Store standing out front with a big chilled fogging cauldron, a black picket rickety old fence and lots of lights. (there isnt a lot of space...I have about 4 feet by 4 feet to work.)

So since I dont have a lot of space I wanted to create a sort of broomstick archway around the frame of the store front to make it that much cooler. Along with spiders, webs and skeletons chained to the witches brooms.

I took a pic of the store front and sketched all over it to get an idea of what it would look like. It's a pretty horrible creation (and not in a good way!), but I just got a new Macbook pro and havn't purchased any good image editors yet! So, forgive the lack of good design!

Note: In the pic, the patio wall has been moved back (the big pink frame). In October the wall will be brought forward and all of that outdoor space will be gone. All but 4 feet of it.

Let me know what you think, what you pro's think would be better!!

Here are 3 pics.
1. Sketched up store front (so u can get an idea of what i mean)
2. Blanc store front.
3. Stuff I bought today that I plan on using in the store front. (I have much more stuff left at the restaurant)

I also provided a blanc canvas, incase you felt the need to draw me up some cool plans! HAHA.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy194/xandonx/brooms.jpg
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy194/xandonx/IlFornello_500.jpg
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy194/xandonx/DSCN0520.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah sorry, I'm working on a better draft. the original was just embarrassingly awful...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, it's back up...check it out.

I'm off to the Spirit Store and Dollarama tonight to buy some more stuff...

If I get ambitious enough and can find a DC Motor, I hope to make the witch stir her cauldron...

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I also do store window displays. Is there way to use the whole front window?
Lets start at the red wall. There I would take a few big planters and paint them black or wrap them in black plastic. Fill with sand and from here stick a broom in the center. Now using wire, I would start laying out my brooms in an arch design, wiring them together. Do this right in the middle of the opening. Now take the 3m tape and run lengths of it all over the red wall. Take your spider web and stretch from red wall to the broom archway. This will be used as a filler to enclose the opening.

Now your witch. I would take cardboard boxes (large ones like refrigerator boxes. Cut and duct tape together, then spray paint to create a Witches shack. You could do this on one wall and put a huge mirror on the other, so passer by's from either direction will be able to see inside the shack. Or you could even put it in one side of the opening. Inside the witches shack you could use a black light and a lot of potion bottles, or even part of your merchandise, for instance if you were a shoe store, display shoes and sell them as witches even love Nikes. Ok

Your front window, moving forward into your room. Create another spiderweb around the whole window, moving into the center. If you were to do it thick enough, then you could draw the customers attention to pere into the window. Or you could leave it thinned out and possible create a cemetery scene right up to the window.

Don't be scared to create fake trees out of cardboard. Or if you are able, go ahead and bring in dead tree branches. I would lay black painters tarp all over the floor, no matter what you do, just to hide the white shiny floor.

Depending on what type of ceiling you have, lets say you have a drop ceiling, then you could easily hang bats and spiders from the cross sections.

Call your local newspaper, there you can get free pallets, newspaper, cardboard and barrels.

Good luck and let me know if I can help or elaborate any more. Remember to keep posting pictures as you add stuff, I am interested to see what you do with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for taking the time and giving me ideas Gothic Princess!!

One problem, is that it is a restaurant store front...what you are seeing is the patio space where people dine in an outdoor but inclosed space. In the winter, the wall moves toward the street so that it is transformed into an indoor space (you can see the runners on either side of the pink frame).

So, that being said...I can't cover the windows, create a shack or make something that would be obstructive...especially on Halloween when everyone wants to sit by the window and watch the events going on out in the street.

I planned on putting a big black tree wrapped in orange or purple lights, behind the witch.

I'll try to hang bats and spiders from the roof... even tho I have yet to find any rubber bats!

I'll think about your broomstick idea Gothic Princess...It could work minus the tunnel of spider webs.....would u do that instead of what I have drafted around the frame of the store front?

Also, I know in the pic it looks very WHITE...everything is really bright...but when the sun goes down this place is very dark and lit up with candles and up-lights coming out of the floor.

I'll post pics when I get back from the Spirit Store!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts