Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,304 Posts
november 1 is always a bit depressing for me. halloween is over, there's typically cleanup work to do, i realize winter is right around the corner, and the excitement of thanksgiving and christmas haven't set in yet. and while we had a good party saturday night, actual halloween was pretty mundane--no trick or treaters at our house, though my wife and i did watch halloween and carve pumpkins.

life goes on. next year will be here before we know it. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sniff..sniff... Goodbye Halloween 20-Six-Scream...

Before you know it Halloween and a Half will be here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,855 Posts
We need a Halloween Eve celebration.

On Christmas Eve I can sit back & look at all the stuff, the decorations, the tree, the presents, etc. & just enjoy it before the frenzy of Christmas morning & day.

We don't have that for Halloween mostly because most of us are too busy getting set up or getting ready to set up. And then on the day of we're crazy people too. We need just that one day to sit back & look at all the stuff & just enjoy it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most years by November first I'm ready to be done. It was fun, but it's time to pack it up and start getting ready for Christmas. I'm a Canuck - Thanksgiving was last month. This year I built some of my very first handmade stuff, and I was so excited to put them out that my mind keeps running over more tombstones to make. All the compliments I got on my display have just poured gasoline on the fire. So yes, withdrawls for sure this year. I've got some Christmas projects to work on, but it's not the same.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
One positive about SoCal is that Halloween ushers in fall, rather than being the middle/end of it. So the trees we have that change color are only really changing color now. The leaves won't all be on the ground until Christmas. That buoys me and keeps me going because I really do have a leaning toward feeling a bit depressed once Halloween is over. It stinks because that starts Halloween morning when I realize that after 364 days of anticipation, it's all about to be over.

Here, at least "fall," such as it is, continues. Typically no matter where I've lived I've parlayed my Halloween fix into a Thanksgiving fix (still autumnal, still with candles, nice smells, colors and so on) and after that, the blow is lessened, LOL, and Christmas is coming.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,122 Posts
We need a Halloween Eve celebration.

On Christmas Eve I can sit back & look at all the stuff, the decorations, the tree, the presents, etc. & just enjoy it before the frenzy of Christmas morning & day.

We don't have that for Halloween mostly because most of us are too busy getting set up or getting ready to set up. And then on the day of we're crazy people too. We need just that one day to sit back & look at all the stuff & just enjoy it.
This is 100% correct.....I began instituting this type of 'observance' in our annual activities a few years ago, and it's been a wonderful enhancement.

Our experience has been that building the haunt setup schedule to include down time the day / night before allows the same amount to get completed, but an enhanced opportunity to enjoy what you've created, built, and displayed.

The 'Halloween Eve' activities now include multiple themed movies, popcorn consumption, turning all lights off in the house except for candles, baking some easy autumnal treats, and similar. We're basically just pressing 'pause' on the chaos, and it really seems to help quite a bit.

By the time the yard goes 'live' on The Big Day, we're 24 full hours into the actual enjoyment....barring any unforeseen / uncontrollable circumstances (I'm looking at you Super-Storm Sandy), we'll keep doing it that way from now on.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
As I'm removing the many batteries from my props, I sigh, "I don't wanna put my toys away; I won't get to play with them again for a whole year". Yes, I am a child, but the adult in me wants it all gone and my house back to normal.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
For me, rather than depression, it's closer to something like a Halloween hangover. Too much of a good thing and now I must "detox" for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I usually go into a bit of a funk after Halloween is over, even with my other favorite thing - hockey season - in full swing. This year is a little better as I got a beautiful skeleton doll as a gift that I am going to design my Christmas tree around - it will be Halloween till New Year's!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm so damn tired today that I can't even comprehend next year's Halloween. Give me a few days of recovery!
Same here. It will take 2 more days to completely take my yard down and put away. In another week or 2 I will think of upgrades and so on
for next year...... I spend all year planning and building props.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had the wind knocked out of my sails on Halloween. I had been looking forward to it all year, not only because I love to decorate for Halloween, but I also love giving candy to the trick or treaters. Well, the church down the street from my house had a trunk or treat and there was way too much traffic coming down my street, and it scared away most of the trick or treaters.

I have a feeling this is going to happen every year, since the church simply doesn't care about the community that surrounds it. Long story with traffic problems. Anyway, if you knew you were not going to get many trick or treaters, would that discourage you from decorating outside or inside your home. Would you still love your Boney Bunch collection just as much, or would it just dampen your spirits so much that you didn't care to decorate?

·
Registered
703 Posts
After 16years of Halloweens, my daughter had enough. It made me very sad. (I am still having a hard time with it.)

16 years ago I started decorating for my beautiful little bay girl, each year I would add to it making it better and better. Now, it has come to an end.
This year she did even come out side. She when right up to her room and avoided the whole night.
It's hard when your kids don't have an interest in the things you love.:(

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had the wind knocked out of my sails on Halloween. I had been looking forward to it all year, not only because I love to decorate for Halloween, but I also love giving candy to the trick or treaters. Well, the church down the street from my house had a trunk or treat and there was way too much traffic coming down my street, and it scared away most of the trick or treaters.

I have a feeling this is going to happen every year, since the church simply doesn't care about the community that surrounds it. Long story with traffic problems. Anyway, if you knew you were not going to get many trick or treaters, would that discourage you from decorating outside or inside your home. Would you still love your Boney Bunch collection just as much, or would it just dampen your spirits so much that you didn't care to decorate?
From 2006 to 2012 I lived on a highway. We never got trick or treaters, and after my daughter was born in 2007, we took her into this neighborhood (my current house I bought from my parents) to trick or treat. I still decorated at home and left the lights on, and put a bowl out. The bowl was always untouched when we got home, and the years we were home we didn't get anyone. I decorate for ME. Because I like to do it. Most people think I'm nuts, and the ones who know me well know I am.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts