Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I go "again". DOD is preparing to kick her smoking Addiction "again"! so much mental preparation, but off I ago starting first thing in the morning. So if you feel like it, I could use as many good thoughts, prayer, positive energies, whatever it is you do to send out supportive vibes would be greatly apprecaited:)

I will try to get to all the pm's that have come in asap, I've just been a bit scatter brained cutting down so & preparing, so bare with me, I'm sure the next while will be a tad crazy ~but I really need to do the dirty deed again.

^v^ Big Batty Hugz^v^
DOD

·
Banned
535 Posts
I started back after quiting for over a year and started back few months ago i smoked my last one yesterday. I hope i can quit for good this time though. Funny must be a Monday thing :) Good luck! get through the first two weeks and you could give two farts about smoking first 3 days is rough though then tapers off.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good luck, Duchess!! It's so hard, but just think of how much healthier you'll be to scare the bejeesus out of little kids! Best wishes!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Just take it a little at a time. Don't be afraid to try some of the patch or gum alternatives out there, sometimes you have to take baby steps to get to realize your goal. I'll be cheering you on!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Good for you, DOD!!!! :D :D :D

You know that I will be sending good thoughts your way on a daily basis, and wishing you success. You go girl!!!

Hugs from Hooch

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good luck i stop for 15 years 10 years ago and i stop again 2 years ago i hope it will be for good
i feel better and when i see my co-worker freezing their b... outside at minus 20 trying to smoke one with there mitt ( putting fire to them most of the time lol!) i have a little smile on the side

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
Just take it a little at a time. Don't be afraid to try some of the patch or gum alternatives out there, sometimes you have to take baby steps to get to realize your goal. I'll be cheering you on!
Exactly, it's so hard to do it cold turkey. Many people in my life smoke so I decided not to ever do it. A good tip is to cut out that first cig in the morning, gradually stop smoking at times that are habit.

You know I just lost my grandpa to lung cancer so you have all my support, it's a horrible thing that no one should go through. He smoked a lot, but quit in the mid 90's and they think that's why he made it to the age of 86.

·
Doomed to walk the earth
1,062 Posts
all the best wishes in the world..I know its hard to quit.. but its worse to keep smoking. i've been a smoker for 23 years and it shows in my appearance and health. you have sooo much more willpower than me for even trying to quit. don't give up. I see that toe tag is quitting too.. you two could could lean on each other and compair notes all the best luck to both of you!!!!!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank-you so much everyone for your support I really truly apprecaite it. I have several things I'd like to comment on from what some of you have said, but I just can't do it right now, I hope you'll understand. Ever since I woke up this morning I've been breaking out in huge itchy hives and rashes, not sleeping which isn't cool for my other health issues and the damn hives up the ol anxiety scale, not to mention the expected normal withdrawl symtoms. So once things settle down, I'll post more .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Best thoughts, wishes and prayers to you.
One of my best pals died last year of lung cancer at 53...smoked UNFILTERED Camels since the 3rd grade. Looked me in the eye about a year before and said:"It's got me. I can't quit."
We had to take oxygen out to him or he would choke to death (limited to no health benefits)
Take it easy, stay safe, and keep in the neigbourhood. The forum is a better place with you in it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mr.s Attain, I'm so proud of you:)If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to pm me or if need be pm me & I'll even give you my phone number.

Ok as far as the hives go, they say it's not a known or common withdrawl symptoms, however I am prone to them under certain circumstances and this is my thinking. When you are going through withdrawl symptoms, it throws your body into stress mode, you're body is being deprived of something it is use to, something it has required to operate as it is accustomed to, so wether or not we feel stressed in the sense we are use to when we commonly say we are " I am stressed" our body is definately stressed out right now and reacting.
( An Example) if everytime a baby is crying you pick it up and it stops crying, you fullfill it's need, and so when you put it down before it's need is fullfilled it automatically starts to cry again, well if you continue to pick it up, it's need is fullfilled but the vicious cycle you've create begins to be set in stone. In order to break the cycle you must fight against the urge to pick the baby up when it is crying, to break the cycle.
Thus, our body is sending us stress symptoms to let us know it has a need that is needing to be fullfilled that we are depriving it of, and the symptoms are uncomfortable of course because our body is designed to tell us in ways that will promote it's "getting it's needs fullfilled"

"I hope that analogy made some sense" especally coming from where I'm at right now, which is sick as hell with withdrawl symptoms from hell."

I know I am prone to hives and rashes from many things, as I have multiple sensitivities "really I need to be living in a sterile bubble"lol but it's true. Allergies to almost everything. So you're rashes may or may not be related to quitting smoking (or) it could be a combo platter of both.
But I'm inclined to think that mine are being caused by stress hormones, bodly changes, etc.
When you quit something, you throw your body into a state of shock and it can affect many bodly systems. Stress hormones, metobolic and endocrine system, your feel good hormones "endorphines" those little brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters, one being dopamine " you know, the ones that we are probably low on when we've suffered through months of christmas torture and all of it's fluffy creatures and bright colours and we start to go crazy thinking about our zombies and gargoyles devouring MR&MRs Clause and those freakin green little elves"!! OOps, sorry just a little bit of Detox talk comin out there:eek:

Anyways sweetie, if you look at a pack of cigs and read all the different chemicals that are in that little bit of pleasure it makes it much easier to understand what is all of a sudden leaving our bodies "and our body is saying" Hey I'm not liking this feeling and if you don't give me what I need I'm gonna make you uncomfortable and miserable.

You know how some people "mainly women it seems" crave chocolate when they are stressed? Well it's kind of along those lines also. You see, we are messin with our endorphines which interact with the opiate receptors in our brain, similar to drugs like Morphine and Demoral. "hence the reason they say Nicotine is as hard to quit as Heroin & cocaine", well that's cause we are changing what is going on inside our brains. Its just that people have a harder time making the connection of what is happening to them cause we were programed into seeing the withdrawls of smokes, and various other legal subtances as different.

Well I really hope this helps you out a bit sweetie, I hope I didn't confuse you even more. It's just I've been through detox from a great deal of substances and so I keep trying to remind myself about whats really going on with me when I'm in a state of withdrawl, it's hell and there's no getting around it without jumping back into the fire again.

Don't withdrawl off of anything else right now OK, don't make any more changes or put your body under any other challanges or it will only make matters much worse for you.

Probably a few other evils I'd equate to being just as hard to come off of and the withdrawl affects even harsher are " Sudden and complete Caffiene & sugar abtance" so if you do eat sugery stuff or drink or eat caffiene products, don't withdrawl from them right now as well.
I just finished Total Caffeine and Sugar Detox, so my body is to say the least "not happy with me right now" Not to mention all the doctor prescribed narcotics and other Pharmasuticals I've come off of over the past year.
With 15 years of clean time behind me from a particular illicit drug, and many years battling coming off of Doctor prescribed and demanded "safe drugs" I will tell you openly and honestly that there is no easy way out . And the road to recovery is different for each and every one of us, but I can tell you and offer you this. If you need someone to talk to I'm willing to listen.
Best wishes sweetie, and I'll be sending you positive energy to help lift your spirit up. Sorry about any crappy spelling errors but I'm a tad off myself right now "and ZERO" concentration.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello my darling uncletor, it's been ages since I've seen you around these darkened parts, It's lovely to see you back. Of coure I'll never forget your loss, I'll always remember your sadness, but I hope you now have and cherish positive memories.

Thank-you for your love and support, I hold it close to my heart.;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much for your support Firedancer:) I haven't given up yet, although I must admit "I'm livin in hell" mind you it doesn't help when you have multiple issues beating you down, but fighting is all I've ever known so I have that going for me at least. I did break down and buy my ol' stand by 2mg nic gum, but I'm not permitting myself too many of them. Thanks for checking in, it really means a great deal to me:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Positive

Good going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Ihave to quit for my job. I'm a nurse and our hospital is going no smoking on 1 January.I work inthe ER so not much chance to smoke anyway.I quit for 3 years and started back for a stupid reason. Iknow you can do it.Just from what i have read you have the strength and personality for it. I will quit but I will be a nasty bastard for a fwe days I am sure. Good luck with all your health issues and all my positive thoughts will be with you always. I will send you music to help. Take Care HALO

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
awww, thanks Halo;) It's still a struggle everyday, hopefully it will get easier soon, it's been 9 days today, and although I finally broke down and got some nic gum, I'm not permitting myself to many pieces. It's a [email protected]#!
Whenever comes the right time for you, I'll be here ready to help pick up the pieces any way I can, even if it means seeing you through the "Bastard days";)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, here I go AGAIN! I managed till Dec 23rd, and it was all down hill from there. No surprise really as the holidays aren't a very positive time for me, I tend to feel a little, shall I say Psycho,lol. So I have around 5 butts left & then it's Detox time once again. I never planned on making it a New Years Resolution, but I guess it might as well be as I only have a few left and I refused to buy more while I was out, so here we go again.:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts