Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,i just joined to ask if anybody believes that this would be a great idea ! I Have been searching for a way to possibly create a petition page of some sort and a group to give Gemmy the idea to bring back the Crypt Keeper Animated prop. Anybody thinking the same ? ;)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
the prop spencers sold a while back? I don't think gemmy made him I see him on ebay once in a while.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the Crypt Keeper broke new ground for home haunters. Coming out around 93 or 94, there was not that much available that had that kind of quality for the home haunter. By saying quality I meant it looked like the Crypt Keeper, the feet and hands were quite realistic. When I bought my first one (it was stolen but my credit card refunded me the money and I bought a second), he was $400. I think it proved that home haunters were willing to ante up for quality electrical props. I remember going with our haunted house guys to Transworld at the Rosemont center back then so haunted houses had some quality items available but most were pneumatic and cost thousands. (I think Crypt Keeper came out a year or two before Distortions electric chair which sold for $5,000 and imo set the standard for haunted house animatronics at that time, although I heard some of the electric chair guy heads broke off the first year batch until reinforced).

Crypt Keeper head moved back and forth like an oscillating fan and that was the only movement, the sound was a cassette tape playing with some good wise cracks, and he was not triggered but on all the time so by today's standards he did not do a lot for the price, however Crypt Keeper had a very successful show at the time (which I am sure added to the cost to produce and it was almost like having a celebrity at your haunt). I would not mind a re-issue with a digital sound chip and everything else the same, I really did not mind that his mouth did not move nor his arms. I would be afraid that if re-issued they might make him more complicated and cheaper, but if they did the same body with a digital sound card (with the same wisecracks) I would still pay the $400 for him. It really doesn't make sense because if they came out with a new prop where only the head moved back and forth and asked $400 I would walk away, I guess I just have fond memories of this prop,

cryptkeep3.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts