Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

first I want to offer thanks to this forum for being a great place to share information and ideas. although I have not posted much I certainly have benefitted from the knowledge base this forum represents. that being said I am hoping the vast knowledge available here can answer my questions

I would like to make some props using triggerable video. haunting painting or maybe some atmosfx "hologram" type scares. the heart and sole of such a project is a triggerabel video player. I am sure there is a way to do such a thing with a raspberry pi but the learning curve is a little steep for me at the moment. (just don't have the time for the learning part and programing)

I have run across the sprite box and the brightsign box both available on fright props. the sprite box looks interesting but the brightsign player looks better because from what I have seen it allows more options for video clips and such with a little simple software work in bright author. the videos that I watched make it look not too complicated. the problem is the price of the brightsign player. so I went looking on ebay for used ones. the problem is I don't know which of the older models would work for the project. is it just ones that have a GPIO? that seems to be the common denominator between the sprite and the brightsign boxes on the frightprops website. seems like some the entry level units on the brightsign website don't include such a port.

has anybody used any of the older brightsign units? I did notice some forum posts mentioning brightsign players going back several years but no model numbers were listed.

any guidance would be appreciated...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm working with the XD1030 right now, (on loan from a friend who used Brightsign p[layers a lot) you need the GPIO port to be able to trigger your videos. I'm programming multiple portrait scares from Atmos FX and Hi-Rez. You loop a static video until a trigger event (PIR or Mat hooked up to GPIO) initiates the scare video to be played, then when that scare is done it brings up the next static video in your playlist. The sprite/hi-rez/atmosfx triggeranble players revert back to the first video in your list, in other words, one static video, one scare video as opposed to the brightsign which allows unlimited videos in your playlist. Check EBAY for used brightsign players.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response....

does that mean any of the older ones with the GPIO port will work?

I found some A915 models on ebay... just not sure if they would work.

thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Many Brightsign players can also be trigger via UDP network packets amongst other ways. For that case, one needs to wire it to an Ethernet network. Granted, this might require some software development, but it's another option, and not hard if you have that skillset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To be safe before you buy, download the brightsign "BrightAuthor" software, create a new project and select the Brightsign Model dropdown menu, it will show you a list of Brightsign models still supported by the software. I did not see the A915 on that list. I personally have used the HD 120, HD 220 and XD 232 and they have been great and $60 was the most I paid. Good Luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own 6 brightsign players all HD1010's or HD 1020's. They are heavy duty and work great. All you need to trigger with the gpio is closed contacts, no power required so a hand trigger works great. The last one I bought on ebay was a HD1010 for 55 dollars. Frightprops has a great tutorial on the haunted portrait and how to trigger a brightsign player.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an hd 912 which I have had working ONCE but only as a continuous loop . I now need to be able to trigger the 7sec sequence. The BA software is a bit of a headache to set up .Can anyone help?
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts