Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people either love or hate this theme. ?

Pretty sure it's where we are headed this year, I like to change things every couple of years. On that note .. My pirate ship would need to last like two years or so, nothing permeant. I also don't have a ton of storage, so building a big ship out of wood is not an option. What I'd like is roughly a ship coming out the front, something like my first picture. I'm sure this is someone's work here, but the picture was on pinterest and not credited. Great work though, someone will probably know who's it is.

Here's my thought .. My DH bought a wood finish vinyl flooring remnant, shown below and now it is not being used for it's intended project. If I built a frame that could be easily knocked down to be stored and used the flooring as my boat sides, trimming it out in carved foam board to give a more finished look. It's textured, so could be easily aged with stain or paint washes. I know eventually it will delaminate .. But I think I should be able to get two years out of it. We live in NC so the harshest weather it will see is rain while it's up. Thoughts ??!

Last pic is my front entrance and a doodle of what I'm talking about. I'd build the frame on the outside of the porch stair rails. We do have a side entrance to get out. Maybe disguise the porch railings and make that a warf area.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could glue strips of a sturdy material to the back of the flooring (think roll top desk), so it can be rolled up after use, attaching it to a wooden frame or one made from PVC pipe.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/icepick-albums-pirate-stuff-for-2014-a-picture201197-skinning-using-green-foam-sheets.html

Mine was done using foam sheets, but stores flat. PVC pipe is labeled for putting back together, and once taken apart, is just stored standing in a bucket.
That's awesome Icepick .. Love your boat!

I understand what you mean, I actually just repaired a rolling door wine cabinet in our boat at the coast. My foot went through it when I was on my stomach trying to hold up a cast iron exhaust manifold while my Dh bolted it in place .. Fun time. Lol That's a really neat idea and wouldn't be too hard to apply to this project.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did a pirate ship last year. It comes apart for transport and storage. I reuse all my props but never 2 years in a row. So once I make it, it has to be stored for a couple of years before reappearing. Everything has to be stored in my garage for the weeks leading up to Halloween and transported in a small Toyota Pick up.

I have detailed pics of the framing process. I used cheap plywood for the ribs, scrap wood (cut into 2x2s) for the framing and Masonite strips for the outer boards. It was constructed in 5 sections and screwed and clamped together on Halloween day. It was assembled Halloween morning and disassembled that night. It can be reconfigured to almost any shape or size. Good luck!

Just curious, Where in NC? I'm in Hendersonville.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/136115-pirate-pirates-pirates-arrrr-4.html?highlight=pirates,+pirates+pirates

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a pirate ship last year. It comes apart for transport and storage. I reuse all my props but never 2 years in a row. So once I make it, it has to be stored for a couple of years before reappearing. Everything has to be stored in my garage for the weeks leading up to Halloween and transported in a small Toyota Pick up.

I have detailed pics of the framing process. I used cheap plywood for the ribs, scrap wood (cut into 2x2s) for the framing and Masonite strips for the outer boards. It was constructed in 5 sections and screwed and clamped together on Halloween day. It was assembled Halloween morning and disassembled that night. It can be reconfigured to almost any shape or size. Good luck!

Just curious, Where in NC? I'm in Hendersonville.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/136115-pirate-pirates-pirates-arrrr-4.html?highlight=pirates,+pirates+pirates

Eblore .. I've been going through back posts and saw your amazing pirate ship, you did such a fantastic job on it. I was blown away by your whole village too .. What an awesome build. I actually showed it to my husband and he thought it was fantastic too, it's also a very doable project for him, since we own a construction company. He was hesitant about cost though, so I will either have to get inventive with framing materials or come up with cost cutting options to sell him on it. I figured up price of Masonite alone would be around $200 for half a ship. Framing materials up to another $300 .. Not sure if he'll get on board with that. We have my oldest starting college next year and her sister the year after ..I think my Halloween budget this year will be shrinking. Lol

We live more towards the central part of nc, a little below Winston salem area.

Countess .. I have seen a few ships done from burlap and other materials that were very inventive takes on the theme. There's one posted here some place by I think it's one eyed mick or something like that .. Where he uses his deck as the helm area and builds a bow out of material and wood, it's awesome and very creative.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Skeleton Crew,

I managed to keep cost down by using as much recycled/reclaimed wood as I could. I used mostly pallet wood for the village and bar. Black Bart's (the bar) is almost entirely made from pallets - walls, bar, stools, tables. I made it to fit around a 10x10 pop-up tent that I already had. All the decorations inside were from local thrift stores. I panalized the Village for convenience of storage and erection. I have also standardized everything (panels & buildings) over the years to 4'x6.5' so that they are interchangeable.

Thin Masonite is less than $9.00 per 4x8 sheet at our local Lowes and I may have used 4 sheets on the entire ship. The plywood was a little more expensive at around $18 per sheet and I have no clue how many sheets I used (maybe 8ish). With a little creativity I was able to get 8 "short ribs" or 4 long ribs out of each sheet of plywood. Where possible I tried to use left overs from different projects. My father also had a construction company so scraps were easy to come by.

I dont keep a budget so I cant really tell you how much everything was, but I'm a really cheap person. Best of luck with ship. I look forward to seing what you come up with.

I think I'm going to do a Carnival/Freak show this year, so back to the drawing board.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eblore,

Ok, that makes more sense .. When you said masonite, I thought you were using masonite weatherboard siding .. Sorta like hardi plank. So you ripped the masonite hardboard into 'planks' and then installed. That's smart and would help keep cost down a lot! You set up and take down in the same day .. The only problem I see, is we live in town .. So we set up several weeks in advance so the local kids can enjoy watching the scene go up in anticipation of Halloween. Do you know if exterior painted masonite hold up to the weather and possibly being rained on several times? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Your new plans are so cool, can't wait to see pics of the build. I bet your trick or treaters absolutely adore your house!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Skeleton crew,

I did mine with two 9x6 canvas drop cloths (Lowes) sewn together that I wood grained with some cheap latex paint. It is stretched over a cardboard (wrapped in super cheap plastic drop cloth for weather resistance) skin that is zip tied to a pvc pipe frame which is secured to a plywood bow piece. I got the idea for the frame on some forum, so I will give credit when I track it down. The frame is all numbered and arrowed for assembly / dis-assembly. It was a bit flimsy, but I used ropes inside to hold it together and to stake it down. The V-boards coming down from the bow also help a lot with keeping the shape and holding it securely. The gunwale rails are just pipe insulation tube painted brown. The only mishap happened during some freak straight-line winds. The mast is a cardboard carpet roll tube and the sail and it's spar roll up to fit into it. I looked at the wood grained vinyl when I first started the build, but in the end I am cheap and like making things. Most of my items store overhead in my garage on racks above the door area. Your idea looks good I wish I had a better front porch for that effect, I would have to do mine as a side view, though that may work, still planning for this year.

2014-10-05 07.57.55.jpg
2014-10-18 18.22.12.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also live in town. In fact, I'm only 4 blocks off Main street, which is why I get so many TOTs. Our Down Town Merchants Association have a big Halloween party on Main st. earlier in the evening, then the families filter down threw the neighborhoods.

I have always been scared of theft and vandals so I always wait till the last possible moment to put everything out. Last year I started setting up the frame for Pallet town the weekend before and installed the buildings a couple of days later. They were to big to steal and I was just hoping for the best. I erected the mast the Sunday before and just left them up all week. The ship was easy. Because it is in pieces, I can move it with a hand truck. The tail section is the heaviest but manageable.

The bar is modular also. All the corners are hinged together. I put up the Pop-up, rolled out the corner sections, opened them up, then moved them into place around the tent. Next I screwed a 2x4 around the top for stability and added the header to the front. For safety, I added diagonal 2x4s to support the header and keep it from blowing forward.

The pilings slide down over metal fence post driven into the ground. And everything else is just dropped into place. My parents usually help me put things out. I have a crew of 8-12 people who help on Halloween night and some of them stay later to help clean up.

As for weather proof, several of the Masonite wall panels got snowed on last year They were painted on the front but not the backs. I saw no major problems from the moisture. Not sure how they would do outside for weeks in soggy weather with out paint. I have lots of left over paint from the construction company, so slapping a couple of protective coats on something isn't a big deal.

I resisted doing pirates for years, but It was one of my favorite themes. It ranked up there with the Mayan Apocalypse of 2012.

PirateDex - Love the ship.

Keep on Haunting!

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pirate Dex, that's a fantastic ship. Very, very inventive use of materials and great execution. I really love how it hit the rocks and sunk, do you have anymore pics of your place all set up?

Eblore .. Your house location is just like ours. We live several blocks from Main Street, where the local business district puts on a Halloween block party uptown .. Then people filter down through our neighborhood. We get a lot of TOT also, it's a super fun time. This will be our 15th Halloween here, knock on wood I've never had a theft or any vandalism. My kids have always gone to the local school, we know most of the kids and are well liked, maybe that helps us out. ?? We have always really cranked things down and made stuff hard to detach and easily walk away with .. Most of my displays also stay up near the house and porch area too, so it would be hard to snatch something without basically being on the porch .. We have three dogs that wig out if they hear anyone in the yard too.

Your pirate town is awesome! Let me find some pics of the front of the house and I'll try to explain what I want to do here.

I've been dying to do a pirate theme. We actually keep our two boats at a marina in Beaufort, NC where Queen Anne's Revenge was found in the Inlet. Blackbeard also used to stay at The Hammock House, which was an Inn at the time .. Legend is he hung one of his wife's in the tree outside the Inn. Some nights people claim they hear a woman screaming still. We spend a lot of time up in Ocracoke too, where Blackbeard died. At Teach's hole. I've always loved pirate legend and lore .. So I've very excited to put this together this year.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay .. The three pictures just show the front of the house, porch and brick patio on the side .. So what I'm working with.

What I'm thinking is the ship will cover up the stair area and slip over the stair railings, I'd like it to project out about 12 feet onto the walk. The captain and the helm will be at the top of the stairs, slightly elevated above the ship. The ship mast will 'burst through' the porch roof and the sails will completely cover the upstairs dormer. The porch area will be wharf, so the boat is either coming into dock or getting ready to sail away. The porch on each side will be set up with barrels, bundles, sacks, loot, drunk skeletal pirates about their business .. Everything you'd see stacked up on a dock that was off loading a pirate ships. I will try to take away from the porch railing and below the gutters by hanging netting and fabric to distract from the whiteness. The patio area will be transformed into a pirate jail .. With all sorts of scallywags inside. I'm thinking carved foamboard and PVC pipe will take care of that area. All my girls are pretty artistic and can paint really well, so I might have them paint frothy waves on luan board and mount that below the porch/wharf to cover the lattice. I also have a bunch of weathered round logs that I've laid claim too .. ( We own a log home business) .. That I will be using to make pilings .. I will use those and rope to create a barrier for the scene and the ship, so people can't poke at it too much. Lol

In the yard will be the candy station ( treasure chest w/booty) and I'd like to do a few skellies maybe 'floating' in barrels or rowboats. From the maples in the yard I'd like to mount blue fire and ice type lights pointing toward the yard to give the appearance of water.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pirate Dex, that's a fantastic ship. Very, very inventive use of materials and great execution. I really love how it hit the rocks and sunk, do you have anymore pics of your place all set up?
I added some pics to my album http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/piratedex-albums-2014-pirate-yarrrrd.html. This year I think a have the neighbors convinced to do a battle, they are going to build a fort, so I will probably need a bigger ship.

Eblore, I love the pirate village, especially the bar. Maybe that could be incorporated into the scene.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts