Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing one of these (pneumatic) tools- just don't know which to get.

In what circumstances would you use a brad nailer over a pneumatic stapler?

What brand/type/size do you recommend? I'm not doing any professional carpentry- just mainly halloween projects and odds/ends.

I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh... I knew brad nailers are used for things like trim/moulding, etc too. I just didn't know about the stapler. I'm working on a cemetery fence now- and looking to throw a brad through the wood and into the PVC to hold the pvc bars in. Maybe a brad nailer would be best for that- as well as constructing the columns and various other projects.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pretty sure you can get combo nailers that will take both staples and brad nails. I don't have any experience with that however.

I have a Bostitch brad nailer, 18 ga., and it takes 5/8 inch to 2-1/8 inch brads. Works great for moulding work and small wood detail pieces, and other repairs around the house. I'm using it to put details on my pirate ship. Great tool, under $100 at Home Depot.

I don't have a pneumatic stapler, but I could see how that would be useful for fabric. I still use a normal staple gun for that.

-dgm

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, you can get these in combo or single attachments. I have a Craftsman single cylinder, oil free,5.5 HP, 25 gal. air compressor. I picked up inexpensive attachments for it, like Blacken Decker stapler-$20, cutting wheels, my Nailer is a finishing gun, it came in a kit with additional fittings. I think was on sale for $70 a couple of years ago. It is a must have for the home haunter. Plus it can provide air for props or blow them if they inflate.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you think the brad nailer is better for my use then? I don't do too much with fabrics- and when I do, I can use the hand stapler.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So you think the brad nailer is better for my use then? I don't do too much with fabrics- and when I do, I can use the hand stapler.
Yes.

You can find cheap ones, like Blacken Decker that are great and won't rack you and arm and a leg. Unless you need spare body parts or your haunt? Walmart and Kmart even carry cheap ones. I find great deals at Lowe's and always check out there sale racks. I picked up a 150pc. drill bits, disc, grinders, etc attachments for my drills. For $25 the other day. So if I lose them, break them it's no problem.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
You want an 16 guage nailer. It is meatier. Also I think you would want galvanized nails which I don't think come in 18 guage. At least not that I've noticed.

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
Our shipping department uses a stapler to build crates...they tell me it's best for wood under 1/2" thick. Over that, they get out the nail gun. Hope that helps?

I only have a brad nailer at home, and have rented heavier duty ones as the need arises before. I would not have any regrets on money spent on a nailer. IMO.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I have both an 18 gauge brad nailer and a narrow crown stapler and use both. As mentioned above the nailer is great for thinner woods and if you are doing a glue/nail application where you would otherwise use a finish nail. the stapler is great for applications were you don't want to be able to pull through and loose your fastener. I used it to build the window covers for my upper windows out of old fence pickets. if you can look around allot of times you can find a kit that has both. granted it is not going to be a Porter Cable but my Black and Decker's have been through allot and keep tanking along.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have 9 different nail/brad/staple guns at home. If I were to only have one, I would have the one that dadgonemad has and recommended, which is an 18 guage brad nailer that shoots 5/8" to 2 1/8" brads. While a 16 guage does have beefier nails, they don't come in smaller sizes and it is nearly impossible to find one that shoots as wide a variety of sizes.

If you do get a stapler/brad combo gun, look for the biggest spread of sizes that it will shoot. The drawback with the combo gun is that when you are shooting brads it still leaves a wide indent on the wood as though it is shooting staples. Some applications it doesn't matter, but many applications you're looking for as little footprint as possible for the brad, and in this case a combo gun simply won't do.

Whatever you decide, you'll be very happy with your purchase and year from now you'll wonder how you ever got along without it!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it. Thanks guys! I picked up a Hitachi 18-ga that shoots 5/8" to 2" brads. Getting ready to try it this morning, I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used to use the regular standard stapler for haunt building.
But the darn thing would jam & be a pain. Since switching over to the Powershot stapler, have no problems & it's easier to work with. The only problem now is... getting the wife to return it back to my haunt tool box. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts