Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used a old t-shirt and brown paint to make it look more like a corpse. There is a how to somewhere around here. It was real easy and looks awesome.

·
Registered
340 Posts
skullandbone has a great corpsing tutorial here:

skullandbone corpsing

I'm almost done with my first and halfway with my second. It's and easy process that really improves on a white skeleton. It took me a quart of carpet adheasive, two pair of pantyhose, a disposable brush and some stain sitting around my garage. All in all it cost about $10. Make sure to wear gloves tho as the carpet adheasive is the devil's own glue and sticks to everything!

Here's my bucky halfway done and my bargain basement barney:

·
Registered
340 Posts
The carpet glue is taking some time to cure. The first pic of the bucky is 12 hours old and has the same stickiness as putting your hand on duct tape. Things will stick to it....clothes, body parts, pets, children. The second one (a BBB) was dried for 6 days before using stain, no reason other than I didn't' have time to get to it, and it was about as tacky as cotton candy fingers. lol, it's the only thing I can think of for comparison! Right now after about 7 days of total drying, the second one is still about as tacky as cotton candy fingers from the stain drying.

Maybe a family member or friend will let you use a corner of their garage/shed for a week till it dries out a little bit. Or hang it from a tree outside with a tarp over it to keep off any rain? The glue seemed pretty weather resistant after only a day or so, it was solid but tacky.

It didn't seem very smelly but I was doing it in a shed with lots of ventilation so I'm not sure about that one.
I keep some sawdust around for when it does get on my hands or arms. I rub a little over the area and it will get rid of the stickiness.
I did have some problems with the first one....putting pantyhose on a skeleton seems so wrong lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
If i were you i would just use latex. Carpet glue takes far too long to dry.
Agreed, I have some I bluckies I corpsed with carpet latex like 3 or 4 years ago and they're still sticky. Regular latex loses its tack within a couple hours

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
ok...I'm gonna sound really dumb here...BUT....

Some one please tell me in exact terms...There is CARPET LATEX GLUE and there is LATEX GLUE? I see these 3 terms used interchangebly and it's hard for me to understand what exactly takes to long to dry, and what doesnt.

Sorry....Im probably just having a blonde moment, but people keeping using different terms and I'm confused now!! LOL

:D Help a brain dead prop builder out!

·
Registered
340 Posts
tough question BevAnn but I'll give it a try. Latex glue is a polymer based adhesive that retains some elasticity when cured. The carpet latex glue is the same as above but most likely contains additives for it's specific use such as a mildew and mold inhibitor. Both have additional ingredients to maximize adhesion to both porous and non porous surfaces.

I believe the reference to using latex by Toetag is a latex based sealant which is not an adhesive. It's basically a polymer and a liquid (ie water) mixed together. While it does have some adhesive qualities, I wouldn't use it where a strong bond between two surface is needed. It comes in quarts/gallons/caulk tubes and I know the caulk tubes of latex caulk can be found at HD or Lowes.

Whew! I certainly hope someone can back me up on this or correct me! I did the two carpet glue corpsed buckies above and they are still tacky to the touch. I did find that rubbing sawdust on it totally removed the tackiness, ditto with a clear spray sealant I found in the spray paint isle at HD. I do think I'll try a regular latex corpse next time tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
I believe the reference to using latex by Toetag is a latex based sealant which is not an adhesive. It's basically a polymer and a liquid (ie water) mixed together. While it does have some adhesive qualities, I wouldn't use it where a strong bond between two surface is needed. It comes in quarts/gallons/caulk tubes and I know the caulk tubes of latex caulk can be found at HD or Lowes.

It's definitely NOT latex caulk, though that MIGHT work, I'ld think it to be a pain. He's referring to just plain liquid latex. Comes in various sizes. "Mold Builder" is a brand that can be found in Michaels in small quantities.

Various Halloween websites offer this latex for this kind of work. A search in google will yield you plenty of results. If you need to buy local, I have the best luck with plastics stores who sell it for molding material.

I also highly recommend it for it's ease and multitude of uses from corpsing to building molds, and I always try to have a gallon on hand.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's definitely NOT latex caulk, though that MIGHT work, I'ld think it to be a pain. He's referring to just plain liquid latex. Comes in various sizes. "Mold Builder" is a brand that can be found in Michaels in small quantities.

Various Halloween websites offer this latex for this kind of work. A search in google will yield you plenty of results. If you need to buy local, I have the best luck with plastics stores who sell it for molding material.

I also highly recommend it for it's ease and multitude of uses from corpsing to building molds, and I always try to have a gallon on hand.
Thanks UnOrthodOx. Here's a thought on a possible reason why carpet glue is sticky for so long...natural rubber is made from natural latex, natural rubber is very sticky and is one of the reasons it undergoes vulcanization. Perhaps the carpet glue is made from natural latex and is sticky not because it takes forever to dry, but because that's its natural state. It just wants to be sticky :)
I don't know...my head hurts...I'm leaving...
lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts