Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following in her brother's footsteps, Talia come home with homework that requires a costume.

Kids get to research and "become" someone from history. Write a 2 minute speech, and stand as statues, then act out their speech when parents come put a 'coin' in their bucket.

The school sent home a list of pre-approved leaders for the kids to be, but there could be no duplicates (within each class, so 4 classes = 4 Cleopatras...) but working off-list was allowed.

The females on the approved list were....I mean, I love Julie Andrews and all, but to put her up next to George Washingtons and Abe Lincolns? Plus is it really 'history' if they are still alive?

So, Talia wanted to be someone "who kicks butt". But, with her being in the Chinese immersion course, her first thought of Mulan was immediately going to be problematic with just about every girl wanting to do that, same with Joan of Arc, and the rest of the list was unappealing to her.

Being a bit of a student of history, I started throwing out suggestions from pirate queens to tribal warriors to interesting characters, and Talia narrowed it down to 2 from about a dozen.

1. Elizabeth Bathory, The Blood Countess.
2. Boudicca, Warrior Queen of the Celts.

As much as I would have supported her going for the sheer shock value of Bathory, I was a little relieved she chose Boudicca.

There was something deeply satisfying seeing her get into the attitude with the (required) quote from their character as well. "Let the MEN live as slaves if they want, I will not!"

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I wonder if when the "Brits" painted themselves Blue, if that is where the sayings come from, "I'm feeling "Blue"?

"BLUE" and I'm going to fight YOU!?" Nice to see some fun things children get to do, those "Imagination Stretchers!"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Both of my boys did something similar in 4th grade (2 years apart), but they had to be famous Arizonans. The school didn't care about duplicates and working off-list required special permission (which I nearly had to beg for). On the night of their "wax museum," in a sea of John McCains and Pat Tillmans, I was so proud to be the mother of the only "Alice Cooper" in the room, complete with make-up, costume, and stuffed snake wrapped around them. (P.S. Ex husband was horrified BOTH times! :D )

You're daughter is amazing and looks like a complete badass! I love it when kids think outside the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts