Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and make a bottomless pit idea, indoors. Has that been done? I would like to make it look like a hole in the floor. Like maybe a science experiment exploded. I would like to put carpet, and burnt debris around edge. and make it look like it is a hole down to the basement. Then use a caution barricade across the top or caution cones around it. Can anybody that has made one of these, let me know if this would work. I can put something similar in the basement, as that is getting decorated also.

·
Registered
591 Posts
you could make a regular BP and put wood flooring or carpet whatever around it.it would look like the boards blew up into the room,and that's what underneath.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
First, are you putting this "bottomless pit" on carpet or a hardwood floor? I think a hardwood floor would be easier, because you're starting out with a smoother surface. Flooring also makes a difference as to what materials you can use for the "broken edge" of the pit.

The element that will make or break a bottomless pit is the perspective element of the pit itself. You really want to make sure you're using something that shows the dark depth of the pit.

Something like this (if you're doing a shaft) is a good example.

If you have a good perspective image as your pit, building a slight burm of broken materials around the pit is all you need. When painting a perspective pit, use flat paints for your background colors, especially the deep hole. Some satin or eggshell gloss can be used for highlights near the top of the pit.

If I were building a "blasted throught the floor" pit on my hardwood floor, I would get a section of MDF or particle board, and take time to paint the pit. I would paint several layers to give a good sense of depth. Then I would take some scraps of wood flooring, bust them up, and have some ends sticking up from the floor (mounted to the particle board). I would put enough material around the board to mask the height difference, and I would also paint in a few pieces of flooring that appear to be bent down, dangling into the pit.

Here's a quick little sketch:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bottom less pit

That is what I want to do. The biggest room was carpet. It was right when you walk in. I wanted to do on carpet, but I can do it on the wood or tile. I will start and see which looks best. I want it to look real. I think I can get original carpet to put up on sides, if I use that. I like the wood pictures, I like the way they overhang . Thank You for all the great ideas.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
You can do the same thing on carpet. The important thing to to get a flat, smooth board to paint your pit on. 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch particle board would work, or 3/16 inch masonite would all work great. The debris will cover the edges and make it look really good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just do an endless hallway effect. i'm doing the same thing. you can do it as people do in drawings. make a box and connect the corners. then make it look like it gets dark on the way down. make sure it looks realistic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts