Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build a bottomless pit. I generally have a good idea on how I'm going to construct everything except I need some help with the electrical wiring. I'm going for a startle effect on my pit, so I need to have one light on and then I need that light to turn off at the same time a second light turns on. You can see an example that I'm trying to replicate here (built by Bentrod):

The problem I'm having is I know I need one light on all the time, and the other light off, and I need them to switch places when the prop is activated, but how do I achieve this? I was hoping to use a hand trigger on the prop that when you push the button 110v power is applied. I figure some sort of relays will be used but I'm an idiot when it comes to this type of thing. HELP!

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Use a relay with NC and NO contacts to control the prop. NC = normally closed, NO = normally closed. That way only one of the lights can be on at one time. The light that controls the "scare side" should be on the NO side.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if there is already power to the prop (hence the light is on) how is the prop triggered? Do you by any chance have a link to a relay tha would work for me?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I like it..... I like it a lot! You are giving me some new ideas.

Could you simply use a three way switch? Divert the power from one lead to the other.

·
Registered
392 Posts
tekcor1, As suggested, a relay would be your best bet. On the contact side of the relay are, as stated and NC and a NO set of contacts, there are also a set call C for common. wire your incoming power (hot leg) into the common connection, then run your main light power (again the hot leg, black wire) to the NC contact and the scare light to the NO contact. You will also need a switch to the second part of the relay, the coil. When the switch is closed it will turn on the coil causing the contacts to change from NC energized to NO energized thus turning on your scare light. Any relay with contacts rated 3 amps or better will do, just pay close attention to the coil voltage needed. Go for a 110V coil and jumper your hot leg from C to one side of the switch and take the other side of the switch to one side of the coil and tie the other side of the coil to the white (neutral) side. PM me if you have questions and I would be happy to talk you through it. Keith

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks soundman! That's the info I was looking for! Now whether I can put together what you described is another matter! I'm sure when I sit down and start doing it it'll come together. I do appreciate that you took the time to help me out. I hope to get going on this next week. I'll post updates when I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts