Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are taking a vacation to Boston the 1st week/weekend of October , I'm so super excited about this trip, I can't stand it!!!!

So,....any recommendations on Halloween events or spooky type things to do? I'm sure there are tons! I'm hoping we can make a quick daytrip to Salem, if we have the time. I also want to make sure I get in lots of time to enjoy the fall foliage! (Especially since we don't get that much, here in Texas)

This will be my first visit to this part of the country. I can't wait!! :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
sonja,

i lived in dallas for 30 years and just moved up here to the boston area 5 years ago. First thing, you will LOVE the foliage and it's EVERYWHERE... I just cannot describe it! Salem is so much fun.

IF you are renting a car, you can also run down to Fall River, MA (about an hour's drive south of Boston) and tour the LIzzie Borden B&B/Museum. One of the forum members, Hacksaw the Clown, worked there last year...maybe he still does.

Rgoer Williams Park Zoo in Providence (another hour away from Boston) does a huge jack-o-lantern display every year. http://www.rwpzoo.org/178/jack-o-lantern-spectacular And the Edaville Railroad in Carver, MA (about 30 min south of Boston) is beginning a new Pumpkins Aglow ( http://www.edaville.com/edaville_events.html )- the site says Oct 9-27 but Ray Villafane's site says he will be there Oct 3 --I'm gonna call and get a definitive answer.

There is also amazing foliage a few hours north of Boston in the White Mountains (I think) of New Hampshire in the area of the Silver Cascades. Beautiful and breathtaking. And if you're really eager to see Halloween stuff, Sleepy Hollow NY is only about three (maybe less) hours from here also.

I'm sure there are others who will have more info as I am a newcomer in the area. I do hope you enjoy your visit. I will warn you, tho, you may never want to go back to Big D. :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
i realize I just glossed over Salem but I would like to recommend you attend a performance of 'Cry Innocent' while there. It begins with Brigid Bishop - the first accused witch (and ancestor of my former boyfriend) in Salem- creates a ruckus while running down the street trying to escape. From there she is taken to the court and tried. You, as an audience member, follow her thru the streets and then to the courtroom to listen to the evidence and vote on her guilt or innocence. Ironically, I voted her guilty (based on the evidence I heard) and thereby made the 'ex' never exist. LOL. The actor playing Brigid the day we were there told us guilty v innocent runs about 50/50 depending on the day. It's a very interesting play. http://cryinnocentsalem.com/

There are lots of wonderful shops in Salem, one of my faves is Trolley Depot-cute Halloween items all the time. The gift shop at the House of Seven Gables has lovely halloween items, as well. On the cobblestone street next to the Peabody Essex is a wonderful chocolate shop called 'Turtle Alley' and Oprah's favorite chocolate shop is Ye Olde Pepper Companie, across the street from House of Seven Gables.

A day is salem, especially in October, is amazing, wonderful and fun.
Can't wait to hear about your trip!

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
Please post pics of Salem when you get there! :)

My husband and I are taking a vacation to Boston the 1st week/weekend of October , I'm so super excited about this trip, I can't stand it!!!!

So,....any recommendations on Halloween events or spooky type things to do? I'm sure there are tons! I'm hoping we can make a quick daytrip to Salem, if we have the time. I also want to make sure I get in lots of time to enjoy the fall foliage! (Especially since we don't get that much, here in Texas)

This will be my first visit to this part of the country. I can't wait!! :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is so exciting. I've been to Boston and I've been to Salem. As long as you go to Salem you will for sure be satisfied! Oh, and take lots of money to spend!!! It was the most amazing time there when I went, you'll love it!

·
Queen of Halloween
4,246 Posts
I actually heard Nightmare New England was coming to Providence this year. Not sure if they were moving it to Providence or just adding a second location though. If you do come to Fall River to check out Lizzie Borden's house (which you could also visit the cemetery where she and the entire family is buried) , we also have 2 haunted attractions here: Factory of Terror and Asylum of Horror. And, I'm in Fall River :D lol

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! Thanks so much for all the info, guys! Now, it makes me wish I could stay there longer! We' re only there for 4 days. But I'm pretty good at planning itineraries so I think we'll get to work in some good stuff.

And, Wicked, you are so right! I bet I won't want to come back! Getting to see the fall foliage is something I've been wanting to do for so many years. And going to Salem is certainly a must do. Now,...I'm wondering how I can fit in a visit to Sleepy Hollow too....didn't realize it was so close!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
WOW! Thanks so much for all the info, guys! Now, it makes me wish I could stay there longer! We' re only there for 4 days. But I'm pretty good at planning itineraries so I think we'll get to work in some good stuff.

And, Wicked, you are so right! I bet I won't want to come back! Getting to see the fall foliage is something I've been wanting to do for so many years. And going to Salem is certainly a must do. Now,...I'm wondering how I can fit in a visit to Sleepy Hollow too....didn't realize it was so close!
sonja, you'll just have to come back next year. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
We've been to Boston a few times and it's a wonderful city. Everyone walks, and it's a perfect place for just taking in all the sights, dining, and shopping. Check out Faneuil Hall marketplace for a great variety of food. Copley Square, the old historic district, Newbury Street for chic stores, plus the 2 malls which cross over the streets. Too many things to mention. We went to the Imax, visited Chinatown, saw the Boston Pops Holiday concert, and if you get a chance for the best view in town, there's a restaurant at the top of the Prudential Building with windows on every side. It's the tallest skyscraper in Massachusetts. We went there for the view and a few martinis which were excellent but be warned, the place is very pricey. We visited in November and December, and it's a great city for the holidays. We attended the tree lighting ceremony in the Park when we stayed. I can't speak much for earlier fall, but one thing they have is the Halloween chocolate buffet at the Langham Hotel but you must call for reservations. Have a great time. We plan to visit again soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts