Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of projecting from my yard onto a white tarp put up across the front of my porch 13x7 feet. I've been trying to find a high res picture of a spooky, broken picture window that I will superimpose in front of my video loops. I'm thinking of like a facade image with the video inside of it.

Any one think they might have any images that could work? I've included a pic of the front porch. As you can see the window on the porch isn't really ideal for rear projecting onto it. The center support between the windows is too wide (in my opinion).

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm thinking of projecting from my yard onto a white tarp put up across the front of my porch 13x7 feet. I've been trying to find a high res picture of a spooky, broken picture window that I will superimpose in front of my video loops. I'm thinking of like a facade image with the video inside of it.

Any one think they might have any images that could work? I've included a pic of the front porch. As you can see the window on the porch isn't really ideal for rear projecting onto it. The center support between the windows is too wide (in my opinion).
I don't have any images that fit the bill, but another approach you could try if you strike out is the "monster house" following eyes. This one is super simple to do, and freaks people out. When I last did this one I used to have people drive by my house about 10 times, stop, and then walk up to my house till they figured out how it worked... a couple of people even knocked to ask about it. To do it you don't want to serve up candy from the front porch if you can help it (if people get too close they figure it out), or at least distribute it from the end and don't let them walk up on the porch.

This is a play on Disney's "Haunted Mansion" busts that follow you. It is just a couple of clear salad bowls with UV reactive eyes painted on the outside of the bowl, turned open side out the window, and then backlit with black lights. I usually make a cardboard cutout to shape the eyes, and provide a shadowy face around the eyes (also backlit by the blacklight). I don't have good pictures of the illusion at night (hard to take in low light), but I've attached a couple in dusk type light levels without the backlighting. Basically what happens is no matter where you go in the yard the eyes follow you (and everyone else no matter where they are in the yard... I had a couple standing in opposite corners of the yard yelling back and forth "is he looking at you?"... "yeah... is he looking at you?"). The one you see in the pictures has a sort of narrow face, because I took it from an install I did where it had a wider split between the windows (a little narrower than yours but wider than mine), and I was too lazy to do anything but tape the two pieces of cardboard together.

IMG_2255.jpg IMG_2254.jpg

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
I really want to do monster eyes like this, but for what I have in mind, they'd need to be located in the upper half of my windows. Don't think the effect will work quite as well when obscured by the mullions (which are, unfortunately, not removable.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure you need a tarp at all! My brother-in-law made a stand that attached to a tree and projected onto the front of the house - it's light blue/gray. He covered the windows with white plastic table cloths from the dollar store and we, using Powerpoint and all its animation capabilities (along with hi-res images and animated gifs), created this:
Projected Image 1.jpg
Here you can see what the house looks like without the fake facade:
Projected Image 2.jpg
Try projecting first before you get too far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts