Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you all enjoy reading books in your down time too. I'd like a place to share book reviews, new releases by favorite authors, and anything else you have to share about books. Edgar Allen Poe, Stephan King, and everything in between.
I'll start with a short story I recieved for my secret reaper gift. It's called " Mischief Night" By Paul Melniczek. My book was signed by Paul as well! Either my reaper went to a book signing, or my reaper IS Paul melniczek. How cool is that? This young adult short story is about a group of boys who go raiding on halloween night. They decide to go into an old house that is rumored to be haunted .For the next year, Rusty and his friends are haunted by a dwarf. The next Halloween, they try to avoid the old house and the scary things in it, only to be sucked back in. They find items in the house that had been lost/stolen, and without giving away details, find a way to break the curse. Life returns to normal, and the boys consider not raiding next year. Will they? Boys will be boys! This book is appropriate for young children/ young adult.
The next book I plan to read is the sequel to Stephen King's Shinning. It's called Sleep Doctor. A loose idea of the plot: Danny is all grown up and is a psycologist to sensatives like himself. He draws from his experience at the hotel to help others deal with their newfound situation.
What do you plan to read? Or what is your favorite?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Glad you liked my book. Yes, it was me. ;) The book was a lot of fun to write, and I'm continuing the series. The sequel, called THE WITCHING HOUR, has just been released by Bad Moon Books. Check out my link below. And on a really cool note, Rick Polizzi, former producer of none other than the Simpsons, multi-Grammy Award winner, along with being the creator and owner of Boney Island, has been reading my books and enjoying them. He even displayed them on a table at the Boney Island display this year. Hoping to get some interest form Hollywood agents and people in the industry. How cool is that. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halloween-Books-by-Paul-Melniczek/183492025033039?ref=hl

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
oh what a fun thread.

ive read strictly stephen king in the last year started with salems lot, then i moved on to the gunslinger series. im still working on that... i only read a chapter or so a night before bed since i have horrible daytime ADD lol.

salems lot was great! hated finishing that one because i enjoyed it so much.

the gunslinger sucked. was so slow moving and just plain boring, it almost turned me off of the whole series but after a quick amazon review search, im not the only one that feels that way but everyone else who didnt enjoy the first book really liked the rest.. so i kept on.

everything after the gunslinger has been great so far. im only a few chapters into wolves of the calla and im enjoying it pretty thoroughly.

next up after i read the gunslinger books i'll read the final sookie stackhouse novel, then doctor sleep (heard great things about that one! and the shining is my favorite non harry potter book) and then after that, back into the classic king novels, probably get some carrie, the stand, misery, christine... etc. ive got a lot of reading to do and i need to get started on all of it!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been interested in getting some of Paul's books but whenever I think about it I can't find a thread with the titles in it! So I'm subscribing to this thread!

I'll dig out some "horror" like books that I read so I have the correct title and then start recommending and taking recommendations!

(oh and mariposa... a friend of mine just got me a DA keychain from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in florida... I'm just assuming you're a galleon carrying member of DA also! haha )

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a very large pile of TBR books, to be honest, going back to numerous titles from many of my writer friends, and CCs of magazines and anthologies over the years from work I've sold. I actually read (and enjoy) more short stories than novels. Unfortunately, I've tried a number of mass market paperbacks and haven't been able to get through them. There are so many great books in the small press, and I usually buy and read these. Recently, I was reading "13 Horrors of Halloween," my favorite anthology. I've also been reading through the "Ghost Stories of Berks County" series, and we saw the author Charlie Adams the other week at a local library. Very interesting tales and local folklore. Charlie has also been on an episode of GHOST ADVENTURES when they staked out Eastern State Penitentery. I was recently browsing stories from Allen K's INHUMAN magazine, which is filled with some quality, old school type of monster tales.

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have anything to review or suggest really. I am spending a lot of my free time writing my own stories rather than reading. I've got three things in the works. 1 is a novel series, 1 is a short story "mini series", and the other is just a short story... Um to the point, and I'm sure if I looked a bit I would find an answer but what about posting some of my work on here? It would only be short stories and snippets. I'm not technically published, and I only know a small handful of people. I have multiple back up copies and dated/time stamped copies of all of my work... So... um... Should I post anything? In a separate thread of course.

Thanks
-LD

·
Registered
11 Posts
recommendation

Just wanted to drop in and recommend the ocean at the end of the lane by Neil gaiman. One of the best supernatural/creepy books I've read in a while. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
king

Also, as a devoted Stephen king fan, I highly recommend duma key. It doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves imho...

·
Registered
881 Posts
doctor sleep is EXCELLENT i will not spoil any thing but very good just like the shinning and salems lot.
would like to see a movie made for doctor sleep!
am reading the walking dead the road to woodbury.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Liliths Demon, yes of course you should post your work! You should open it up for feedback too, since some of the members have expirience in that field. I recently finished Doctor Sleep. Stephen King's newest and the sequel to the Shining. I loved it!! It kept me hooked all the way to the end. I won't give anything away, I promise, but heres what it's about.
Danny Torrence is all grown up now, and a bit of a train wreck. Drug and alcohol problems, still has his gift though, and is willing to use it when a young child reaches out to him telepathically. Her name is Abra, and she also has the shining. Her power is strong, and it catches the attention of a group of people that call themselves the True Knot. Cleverly disguised as elderly people, they seek out children with the shining, and kill them to absorb the "steam" they release when they die. Dan developes a friendship with Abra, and tries to protect her from the True Knot. There were twists I was not expecting, and and just the right amount of suspense to keep me up half the night to see how it ends. It was Great!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My kids got me Zombie Fallout a year ago and a couple more in the series this year. they a pretty good books. Some intense moments mixed in with a little bit of humor.

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
Liliths Demon, yes of course you should post your work! You should open it up for feedback too, since some of the members have expirience in that field.
Thanks, Lady Arsnic! :D I posted one of my shorts.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
I've tried to start this thread a couple times before.
I'm always looking for suggestions. I am also on GoodReads.

I just finished Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. It is a classic bad house book. There isn't really a ghost. The house itself is bad. I loved that it was creepy but it left a lot to the readers discression. I normally like things with a clear intent. I would suggest it because it's a classic but it wasn't my absolute favorite.

Right now I'm reading The Shining.
Would love to get your book Paul. Think I'll go check that out.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
While I'm at it let me put in a little plug for goodreads.com. if you are a reader and do not belong to this site you are missing out.

It is so helpful. I have the app on my phone. When I'm in a bookstore browsing if I find something interesting I have the reviews in a couple of clicks. It's also handy when I see books that I want to remember to get. I can add them to my to reads list immediately.
Your friends can also reccomend books to you.

You rate the books that you have read and judging by your ratings the site matches you up with others that you would like.

I just can't say enough about it. I love it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I go back and forth reading supernatural material and fantasy. I recently reread some of Terry Brooks' series THE SWORD OF SHANNARA. If you like Tolkien, it's something up your alley. Novellas are a better read for me, as some of the novels I picked up really dragged. I prefer short stories, to be honest. One book that comes to mind is GHOSTS AND MORE GHOSTS by Robert Arthur. An excellent collection of shorts, originally penned for a YA audience, but it packs a punch. Out of print, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy on E-bay or Amazon for cheap.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,484 Posts
This isn't horror but a fascinating book nonetheless & I recommend it to practically everyone, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Intersting discussions can be had too about medical ethics.

One more that's not quite horror but about a horrible person, it's the latest bio of Charles Manson, Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn. Most Manson bios deal the murders, the trial, the usual stuff, but this one goes into his personal history as a child in McMechen, WV & his connections to Dennis Wilson which put Sharon Tate in the crosshairs unintentionally. When I finished I felt sorry for the child that became the murderer. Can't feel sorry for the adult but you will see how he ended up being "Charlie."

As for "real" horror, Guillermo Del Toro did The Strain Trilogy, they're all out now & soon to be movies. The books read like movies but they're good nonetheless & an interesting twist on the vampire genre.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts