Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow Halloween nuts! And I mean "nuts" in the most wonderful way possible. Anywho, I'm Jami aka KimberHollow. I just joined HalloweenForum even though I've been lurking in the shadows for years, I haven't posted. I finally bit the proverbial bullet.

I've been creating Halloween scenes in my various yards since I was 8 years old. When I was young, my goal was to scare the snizzlebiscuits out of the older kids. Now, erm.. 25+ years later, my goal is to have kids who visit our "set" remember it years down the road and hopefully inspire them to create their own magical Halloween displays.

When I was 7, my parents took me and my baby sister trick or treating in our just-moved-to-a-new-town neighborhood. It was full dark and I heard spooky music and sound effects coming from somewhere close. I towed my parents down streets until my search landed me in front of a darkened house with a few jack o'lanterns on the porch. As I approached the front door, the lady of the house jumped out of the window just beside the door (they'd removed the screen of course), fully costumed as a witch and cackling! Then the man (a vampire) popped open the door - "BOO!!"

I jumped.

And grinned.

And laughed.

And then I peppered the both of them insisting that their house was truly haunted since I'd heard the sound effects. They actually let me inside to walk around and show me the decorations were just on the porch. The rest of that night is a blur. But the impact that couple left on me was immense. The very next Halloween I made my first cardboard tombstones. My Dad strung a line so we could zing a pillowcase ghost from a tree to the front door. Every year we did something a bit different: jump scares from a refrigerator box coffin, and a spookified Teddy Ruxpin & Grubby were two of the highlights.

88mph to now... I married the man of my dreams two years ago and this will be our third Halloween together. Our haunt, Kimber Hollow, features a haunted graveyard, an ever-expanding patch of “Apocalypse Pumpkins”, the work area of a slightly geeky witch, and an incredibly resonant farm bell. We keep the design geared to all ages and just add some jump scares, by us, for the older kids and adults.

Outside of Halloween, I'm a professional blogger, a graphic designer, and a website/code developer. My husband is also a designer in architecture/drafting and woodworking.

Now that I've written a novella, I'll let your eyes rest. Thank you for all the inspiration over the past years! Happy prop building and many boos to you.

Jami (and Mark)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey KimberHollow! You are about an hour away from where I am at in Florida!! We are an entertainment park in Wildwood, FL and we are throwing the biggest haunted trails in the state this year!! We'd love to have you come out!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts