Halloween Forum banner

861 - 880 of 921 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I collect antique Halloween signs. it is difficult to see but the images are carved, not just painted (see the first photo). The pictures don’t do them justice. Here are a few that I have up now. I will pull more out as I continue to decorate.

View attachment 737228

View attachment 737223

View attachment 737225 View attachment 737226
I don't know where you are in your BB Collecting, but if you go on ebay and look up YC BB, hit sort, lowest price...there are some good deals to be had. A lot are auctions, but it's possible that no one else will bid. There is a slaying alive that has one bidder at $9 with low shipping...that is a steal.
Another steal is on Mercari. If you don't mind a mended neck, you can get the 2009 coffin boney for $12

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Forgive me for asking what is probably a question already answered, but what is the one thing you really wanted from Target? And that Ferris wheel tempted me so much but I know my nephew would run away with it, never to be seen in working order again, so I look forward to your pics of it.
Impy, it's made of plastic. I likely will build a custom box for it. Just carrying it from the car into the house made me nervous.

I'm hesitant to fill it with candy.

That said, I think it will serve as an excellent backdrop for a Boney Bunch display. Lit, unlit, playing music, or not, moving, not moving...it looks great. Last night I put it next to some of the vintage style signage that I picked up at Michaels this year, and they looked good together, so happy about that too.

I can't decide how to decorate this year. I have so many, actually too many ideas. I really like the Boney Bunch collection this year. And I've picked up a few things elsewhere that I really like too. If I was smarter, I'd NOT decorate and pay more attention to going through my collection. As I've added to it, I've not kept things properly labeled and stored. Finding what I want is becoming increasingly challenging.

Curious about that nephew. Is he young or an overly exuberant teen or adult? Does he help you with decorating? :)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thank you! I forgot this one. It is a favorite, especially because I like ghosts so much.

View attachment 737236
Reaper20?? I'd really like to begin collecting art pieces like this in the future. How did you get started? Where do you find it? Looking at the art you've collected and shared with us, I can see why you're drawn to the Boney Bunch. I think, as you've shown, they'll display well together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Reaper20?? I'd really like to begin collecting art pieces like this in the future. How did you get started? Where do you find it? Looking at the art you've collected and shared with us, I can see why you're drawn to the Boney Bunch. I think, as you've shown, they'll display well together.
I’m not sure how it started. Predilection, chance, luck and circumstances I suppose. I discovered a new way to display them with the boneys.

I have a question about your light-up ghosts that you discovered in thrift shops. There is a larger one holding a pumpkin and a smaller one holding a pumpkin. I think you said the smaller one is porcelain? Which of the two do you like better? Are there any other insights you can share about collecting those? I am thinking that they would make a nice backdrop for a boney display. Maybe ghosts in the background, perhaps on a hill with trees, with the boneys in the front. I haven’t wotked it all out yet but it is an idea I want to play with.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Reaper20?? where do you find the carved wood artwork?

To answer your question, I like both ceramic and porcelain ghosts. The latter glows with a battery tea light! And you're right, the smaller one is porcelain. It's from the 1980's. I've searched for a second one for years, for a friend who wants one too. No luck so far. Bought it for $4.95 at a thrift store. It was wrapped inside it's box. So glad I took the time unwrap it!

Like most collecting, I find a ghost or two each year. Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The ghost was a gift from a sweet friend a few years ago. The witch with pumpkins was purchased at an antique shop in Chicago. Both the cat and the three witches came from an auction in New Jersey. I have more that I will pull out as I have the time. I have some that aren’t related to Halloween, mostly tavern or dry goods signs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone needs to fill a hole in their collection, these are still up for grabs:

Yankee Candle Halloween Bat Tree tealight holder
Boney Illumi-lid jar topper
Boney head tart burner
Boney & Clyde SOLD
Booze Hound
Bonesy the dog w/pumpkin
2016 Pet Cemetery
2015 Spine Tingling Electric Chair
2014 Dig In candy coffin
2014 Taxi SOLD
2013 Crossbones Top Hat jar topper
2013 Bone White & 7 Dwarves

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Apologies...just now seeing this.

@Boneybunchlove15 I consider both to be different collections even though some of us collected both.

But I believe both the Pumpkin Head People and the Ghoul Band - (which were not sold through YC stores or catalog) - were designed by Mark Cook so I often include them in my Boney Bunch displays.

They were sold at places like Bed Bath & Beyond, some Hallmark stores, and elsewhere that sold YC candles.

I like the Steampunk collection and am slowly back collecting them. I don't know who the artist is though.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Well, its beginning to look like my package, which was scheduled for delivery yesterday, is pending delivery due to the wildfires in Oregon. Our two older son's family in Portland are still okay. There are no fires near us, just smoke, thankfully. Am reading accounts now from people who survived the wildfires. It's horrifying. This is the fifth day or so that I've woken up with a headache. Hoping it's just the smoke. I feel a bit sluggish but fine otherwise. We're expecting rain beginning tomorrow and on through the weekend, so that will greatly help. Hoping Oregon gets rain too.

There's quite a few well written accounts of the wildfires online today. This one ends well... A Desperate Bid for Survival as Fire Closed In on an Oregon Mountain Town

On a happier topic... Is anybody here also chasing that elusive Target ghost mug? This one is so cute and it's smaller, 9.7 oz, which I prefer... 9.7oz Stoneware Ghost Mug White - Threshold™

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Here's one more story, also with a happy ending. I'm amazed by this man's, resilience, smarts, and good luck, combined with, as strange as this sounds, downed trees over the road in both directions that forced him to make choices that ultimately saved his life... He survived an Oregon wildfire by perching on a rock in a river, fending off embers with a chair

One of our older son's is a firefighter in the Seattle area. One of their childhood best friends worked as a fire jumper for years in California. Thankfully, he now works in Washington, D.C. These stories, while hard to read, or so informative and instructive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, since I pretty much have all the pieces I want and some I didn't think I wanted, except some unicorn pieces from 2008-9. I have decided that from this day forward the only money I will be spending on back collecting is for those coveted pieces, and only if the seller isn't wanting an outrageous price for them. I honestly do not understand why some of these sellers think people are going to buy a piece of porcelain for $1,000-$2,000.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone ordered the Headless Horseman and it actually survived shipping? I don't know why I thought it would, but I found one for a good deal and of course, the head broke off. I got a refund, but was told to keep it. I tried superglue and that was a fail. Any recommendations for Broken Boney's?

861 - 880 of 921 Posts