Halloween Forum banner

541 - 560 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Oh my, I watched the video, read all the comments under the video, and am shocked. I have no opinion on the candles because I just don't tolerate them well. When I first started burning candles again, I did it so much, I developed a cough, so the following fall I burned them less frequently. Then after a few years of burning Yankee Candle's scented candles, I began reacting to them. Got a sore throat every time I burned them. So that was the end of that. Today, I mostly burn unscented bees wax candles, votive, and tea lights intermixed with traditionally made candles.

Greatly saddened to learn so many employees lost their jobs. My thoughts are with them. Sounds like their transition to off shore customer service got off to a very bad start. I remember when forum members here identified customer service representatives by name for their helpfulness. I cannot imagine waiting more than 15 minutes on hold for customer service. 6 hours is outrageous, but then the commenter did mention falling asleep during the call. Perhaps customer service tried to assist multiple times but only heard snoring in response ;)

I'm old enough to remember when a brand name meant something, which is why I began making more and more of my purchases from thrift stores over 10 years ago. Anyone else noticing how hard it is to find items made from cotton lately? This is not going to be good for the environment. This is a short-term profit scheme.

I've seen the cycle so many times. Great brand name built by a family, then sold, then ever so slowly destroyed by a succession of shareholder driven CEO's. It's a lose/lose/lose for the company, employees, and the customers. Only the shareholders seem to benefit, though only briefly, then they move on to the next company. Sounds like the end of Yankee Candle.

Sad. I'm going to miss the Boney Bunch, and the anticipation of seeing each year's new Halloween collection. I love this year's collection so much. Liked the Halloween Friends collection too.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Oh my, I watched the video, read all the comments under the video, and am shocked. I have no opinion on the candles because I just don't tolerate them well. When I first started burning candles again, I did it so much, I developed a cough, so the following fall I burned them less frequently. Then after a few years of burning Yankee Candle's scented candles, I began reacting to them. Got a sore throat every time I burned them. So that was the end of that. Today, I mostly burn unscented bees wax candles, votive, and tea lights intermixed with traditionally made candles.

Greatly saddened to learn so many employees lost their jobs. My thoughts are with them. Sounds like their transition to off shore customer service got off to a very bad start. I remember when forum members here identified customer service representatives by name for their helpfulness. I cannot imagine waiting more than 15 minutes on hold for customer service. 6 hours is outrageous, but then the commenter did mention falling asleep during the call. Perhaps customer service tried to assist multiple times but only heard snoring in response ;)

I'm old enough to remember when a brand name meant something, which is why I began making more and more of my purchases from thrift stores over 10 years ago. Anyone else noticing how hard it is to find items made from cotton lately? This is not going to be good for the environment. This is a short-term profit scheme.

I've seen the cycle so many times. Great brand name built by a family, then sold, then ever so slowly destroyed by a succession of shareholder driven CEO's. It's a lose/lose/lose for the company, employees, and the customers. Only the shareholders seem to benefit, though only briefly, then they move on to the next company. Sounds like the end of Yankee Candle.

Sad. I'm going to miss the Boney Bunch, and the anticipation of seeing each year's new Halloween collection. I love this year's collection so much. Liked the Halloween Friends collection too.
It is sad to see the decline of Yankee Candle. Truthfully, the only candle that is a "must have" for me is Witch's Brew. If they continue to sell that, then I will buy it. Otherwise, there are so many other candle companies that I enjoy buying from. Case in point, Goose Creek candle company. Love their candles and customer service is outstanding.

As far as the Boney Bunch, I would miss them too. Although I have to say that now I am finding so much joy in "back collecting" from Ebay. I find those original pieces so well made and very unique.

I really haven't paid mind to items made of cotton. Now that you've brought it to my attention as well as others, I will take notice. Cotton is a natural product and I know that it is better to wear as t-shirts, undergarments, etc. I suppose companies find using synthetics is cheaper in the long run, but not necessarily better for the consumer.
As consumers we really have to be aware of what we eat, use, wear, etc. 👕

·
Registered
228 Posts
I figured out that I buy candles, not necessarily to burn, but because I love the label.
I do the same thing. I loved the label on Trick or Treat. I absolutely hate the actual scent. It is ... awful. I am flirting with the idea of exchanging it but have been too lazy to drag it to the mall LOL. I will probably do it in a couple of weeks when I'm on vacation.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I do the same thing. I loved the label on Trick or Treat. I absolutely hate the actual scent. It is ... awful. I am flirting with the idea of exchanging it but have been too lazy to drag it to the mall LOL. I will probably do it in a couple of weeks when I'm on vacation.
Yankee's 2 new Halloween scents leave a lot to be desired. I smelled them at the store during the Halloween preview weekend and immediately put the jars down. Some people might like them....I'm just not one of them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was just on the Yankee Candle website and it said: "SAVE up to $75 — use code FALLDL19 at checkout!". "$20 off $45 or more, $50 off $100 or more, or $75 off $150 or more." Don't know when the sale ends. I think I'm done though...
Yes, even with those discounts, I'm done too. I went to our local YC store to exchange some more disappointing candles and the store was empty, and they even had quite a few Boneys left. I used to LOVE their Buttercream scent, but now they've transformed it into more of a maple concoction, and not in a good way. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but after this 2nd return even the clerk told me they DID change it from a yummy vanilla buttery frosting to maple and have had quite a few returns. I know you loved this year's Circus theme, but in the future (if there even IS a future for Boneys) I am going to be very discerning in purchasing any more, and I'm seriously considering trying candles from Goose Creek or Village Candles. I just don't know if the YC accesories like the Hurricanes and other large jar ornamental holders will work with them. Does anyone reading this know? I also notice those candle makers use 2 wicks, so I guess all my illuma-lids would be useless? I just really hate supporting YC knowing they're laying off Americans, raising prices, changing formulas, etc. etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa... I’m traveling and haven’t had a chance to watch the video, but... Yankee is closing and the Boneys are over???
Evidently, according to the YouTuber, YC is laying off their US customer service Reps, outsourcing it to overseas, and slowly closing down retail stores and putting more product in big retailers like Walmart. YC's candle prices are going up, quality going down and a whole new market strategy differing from the man who successfully launched and grew YC. At least that's what I got from watching it :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Yes, even with those discounts, I'm done too. I went to our local YC store to exchange some more disappointing candles and the store was empty, and they even had quite a few Boneys left. I used to LOVE their Buttercream scent, but now they've transformed it into more of a maple concoction, and not in a good way. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but after this 2nd return even the clerk told me they DID change it from a yummy vanilla buttery frosting to maple and have had quite a few returns. I know you loved this year's Circus theme, but in the future (if there even IS a future for Boneys) I am going to be very discerning in purchasing any more, and I'm seriously considering trying candles from Goose Creek or Village Candles. I just don't know if the YC accesories like the Hurricanes and other large jar ornamental holders will work with them. Does anyone reading this know? I also notice those candle makers use 2 wicks, so I guess all my illuma-lids would be useless? I just really hate supporting YC knowing they're laying off Americans, raising prices, changing formulas, etc. etc.
I can't burn scented candles anymore, but if I could, I'd feel every bit as frustrated. I hadn't considered that the illuma-lids only fit the Yankee Candle jar candles.

That is disappointing but I still use them, I just don't light my collection of jar candles anymore. I instead stack an empty tea light cup and tea light on top of the jar's candle and burn the unscented tea light (so I can still enjoy my Halloween themed jar candle accessories).

And yes, this year is one of my favorite Boney Bunch collections! I hope Yankee Candle continues selling Halloween themed jar accessories. I've collected them since 2008, and I love them. I will never sell my Boney Bunch collection.

Yankee Candle listened to customer input on the Boney Bunch collection this year. Perhaps now they'll begin listening to customer complaints and input regarding the candle scents and throw. I hope so...

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa... I’m traveling and haven’t had a chance to watch the video, but... Yankee is closing and the Boneys are over???
Yankee Candle closed two of their four candle making facilities, in addition to laying off many of their US based customer service representatives as RavenLily mentioned. I was really shocked.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Evidently, according to the YouTuber, YC is laying off their US customer service Reps, outsourcing it to overseas, and slowly closing down retail stores and putting more product in big retailers like Walmart. YC's candle prices are going up, quality going down and a whole new market strategy differing from the man who successfully launched and grew YC. At least that's what I got from watching it :)
If you call Yankee's customer service you will be talking to someone out of the country.......it is now outsourced. Gone are the days when you would call customer service and talk to someone reminiscent of an "Aunt Bea" type. Goose Creek customer service is just that, someone here in this country, who doesn't have to send e-mails back and forth to the states to find an answer for you.

I know many companies are outsourcing, but it is just so sad to see such an iconic American company doing so.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you venture out and try Goose Creek candles, the large jars are the same size as Yankee's, therefore I believe you would still be able to use your hurricanes, etc. Because they are 2 wicked candles, I do not use the illumia-lid with them, but, when I am finished burning the candle for the day or evening, I will put the illuma-lid on it for decoration.

I feel the same as you, it is hard to support a company that is laying off Americans and changing formulas that everyone once loved. Also, they took away Candy Corn and replaced it with the 2 terrible halloween candles that they offered this year.....Haunted Hayride and Trick or Treat. If you like the scent of Candy Corn in a candle, try Goose Creek's. I just received mine a couple of days ago and it smells wonderful.

541 - 560 of 632 Posts