Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm thinking of doing this for the plastic cauldron I use to keep my candy in. Currently I have it on top of a fire pit made with the great stuff foam and orange christmas lights. The kids then have to reach in to the "cooking" pot to get their candy. It looks pretty good but the kids are definitely not hesitant as I had hoped they would be. I would have to have some type of mesh screen above the dry ice and water for the candy to sit on. A couple of people are always sitting around the fire so they could easily run the bubble mixture over the top whenever they see a kid approaching. My question is how much dry ice do you think I would need to last 3-4 hours. I've used a lot of fog machines but never dry ice. The cost and convenience has always kept me away.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do not know how much dry ice you'd need, but I want to know! This looks awesome. I'd love to incorporate this into the haunt. Dressing up like a witch and using dark fabric to cause the ice to bubble over while muttering a spell would be spectacular.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That looks awesome and would be fun to play with. You might want to do some research into dry ice, i have never worked with it but I know dry ice itself can "burn" you if you touch it with your bare hands but not sure if the fog/mist it creates would burn your skin. Wouldn't want little hands being hurt while grabbing candy. I hope your idea works though I think it would look awesome. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is no danger in the fog created unless you are in a tiny unventilated space.
Thanks for the tip. :) As I said I've never worked with dry ice before so I wasn't sure. I do have a project or two for this season that I was thinking of using dry ice with and plan on doing a little research on it, just haven't gotten that far yet. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've used dry ice for cauldron fog effects in the past. Plan on about 30 lbs to last you about 4 hours. Get it right before you need it, or it will sublimate very quickly.

Eric

Reactions: Grey Lady

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I had actually gotten it from a fuel oil company. Not sure why, but they sell it. 30 lbs. ran me about $45, but that was 7 years ago.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm having trouble locating some in my area. Do you know what the approximate cost of 30lbs would be?
I have to double check and I am almost positive that our grocery store (Krogers) sells dry ice. I remember seeing a sign for it. I have no idea what the price was (that's one of the reasons I was considering trying dry ice this year, our Krogers is about 5 minutes from my house).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts