Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to build my own DMX to BOC connector cables and connect the Nichia LED's I have purchased to the BOC board. Does anyone know the pinouts of these connectors on the BOC board? Maybe you have the BOC DMX cable already and can tell me which pins on BOC connector goes to Pins 1, 2, and 3 on the DMX connector.

Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
The DMX cables that ship with it are the following...

XLR pin 1 = Left pin on BoC DMX
XLR pin 2 = Middle pin on BoC DMX
XLR pin 3 = Right pin on BoC DMX

According to what I could find on the website, the two connectors are identical, electrically. Note, the DMX standard is for 5-pin XLR, not 3-pin. So, while this gets you what pinout they chose for their 3-pin XLR, the pinout may be different from other DMX devices. Make sure to check the datasheets / instruction manuals.

I'm not sure about the LED pinout. You should ask mark_mco. I think he uses this board with his skulls.

- Hook

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DMX cable was really the mystery, so thanks Hooked on Scares for that info. I figured out the LED's by tracking down the common pin which is pin one. Pin one is positive. The resistors will put out the negitive power. Pin one is the right pin marked by a triangle symbol and Kennyw76 is correct in saying that the resistors do connect to the individual LED colors. I will post the pinout of the LED connector once I hookup the BOC board to test it out.

Thanks again everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here's the pinout info of the DMX and LED connectors on the BOC board. Pin 1 on the BOC connectors are marked with a triangle symbol close to the edge of the board. If you can't see this symbol look at the bottom of the circuit board and pin 1 is the square solder pad. The other pins are circle looking solder pads.

DMX ------------ BOC
Pin 1------------ Pin 3
Pin 2------------ Pin 2
Pin 3------------ Pin 1

LED ------------- BOC
Anode----------- Pin 1
Red Pin--------- Pin 2
Blue Pin-------- Pin 3
Green Pin------ Pin 4

I purchased a regular 10 foot DMX cable for DMX lighting and cut it in half. I installed a connector on the cut end that fit the BOC three pin connector. I insalled a connector on the other DMX half so I can daisy chain BOC boards or install a terminator which is easy too make as well.

I purchased the Nichia LED's as indicated on the SkullTronix website. The longest Pin on the LED is the Anode. There will be one pin on one side of the long Anode pin and two on the other side. The single pin on the one side is the Red pin. The pin next to the long pin on the two pin side is blue and the pin on the other side of the blue is green.

If your familiar with PC building the power connector that usually goes to the floppy drive fits the BOC LED connector. It has a four pin connector that you can use to connect the LED to the BOC. I just cut the wires about four inches up from the PC power connector and solder them to the LED as per the pinout described above. The connector will fit perfectly into the BOC LED connector.

I tested all these cables with the BOC board and they worked perfectly. I'll connect the servos in my Lindberg skull to the BOC board and see how this works out.

Here's a picture of the LED cable I made:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Im looking to buy the BOC but i guess Ill need to make my own DMX cable because I dont need the leds and 90 for the board is not bad but 250 for everything I think is too much. So [email protected] you say just cut a normal 3pin dmx cable in half (easy enough) but were did you get the BOC three pin connector to put on the cut end of the cable so it would plug right in to the BOC?

Anyone know what this 3pin connector is or where to find it (guess I need two)?

Also any suggestions on the power supply? I know the 5 volt 3 amp was mentioned some where? I have three lindberg skulls (no eyes, so just the standard 3 axis and jaw). Last year I was using the ss32 board and now im moving to DMX so time to switch to the BOC

·
Registered
490 Posts
indeva,

If you only need 8 servos, I know of at least 2 other DMX options that don't require special connectors. ;-) Northlight board is servos-only ($50), and Medusa ($90) will also give you the relay control you were looking for a while ago.

If you decide on the BoC, they look like Molex 0.1" style. You can pick these up from any online electronics distributor like mouser, digikey, or jameco.

- Hook

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeva,

Yes, the connectors I used came from fry's electronics. I believe there's one in Arizona close to the airport. They're made by Waldom part number WMLX-102 . You get three in the package. They're Molex type .100. Although I purchased the four pin connectors I just cut one pin hole off and sanded it flat to make a three pin connector. It comes with the pins that cirmp onto the wire so get a crimper if you don't have one. Also get some heat shrink tubing to cover the DMX wire. This will keep the DMX wire from shorting.

Waldom has a website Welcome to Waldom Electronics.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hanale thank you! I'll be pickin a few up. Do they only make 4 pin or can you find 3 pin so you don't have to modify it?

What's your thoughts on power supply? 5volt 3000ma ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The power supply that comes with the Boc board is a regulated 5 volts and 3.7 amps. It is made by YHI and is model YC-1018-B05-U

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeva,

While shopping at my local Fry's I just noticed the four pin connectors. Look around at your local Fry's store they may have other connectors to choose from.

As for the power supply I removed one from an old lunch box type PC. It powered three skulls with the SSC32 board last year. I used the same power supply to run the BOC board with one skull with no problems. This PC power supply is rated at 20A. Skulltronics indicated a 5v 3A (3000ma) power supply is fine for this board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts