Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who do this, how do you board up your windows. I've read somewhere that you're supposed to build like a frame that sits around your window, and the nail the boards to that frame. Are there other methods to glue/stick/etc the boards without building the frame.

What about wood, any recommendations on where to get old looking wood?

Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If I were going to do this, I would do this.

1 Go get a sheet of 48 x 96 x 1 foam from home depot.
2 Cut off strips to the correct size (of fake boards).
3 Cut out strips to make a frame to support the strips.
4 Paint the strips with a white roof coating to uncase them in a rubber like film.
5 Paint them with a cheap light brown paint & high light with some black spray paint to age.
6 Let dry
7 Put it all together; with dry wall screws (long enough to go into both sections of foam) attach the fake boards to the frame.
8 Install onto your windows.

Now if you have ever tried to take apart a pallet than you know how hard it is. If not you are in for a very long day, those thing are built to stay together and the do.

Now this project will take a day or two. The roof coating is key for strength and durability. It will take paint very well and you can play around with texture by wiping and brushing. The black is just for age.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Hauntless
8,351 Posts
I was trying to solve the same issue you have. I wasn't too keen on building a frame for the illusion of a boarded-up window. Then I was at Spirit Halloween store and saw this:

So, that got me thinking. I could make the wood using the faux wood made out of foamboard (Spookywood) found at Spookyblue's site: Fake Wood From Foam Boards - SpookyBlue.com

Then attach it together with a string on each side. Finish by attaching some fabric backing (burlap, cheesecloth or jute netting). Hang by nailing in two nails at the top of your window frame and hang up. I think that this would be good enough to give a decent impression of a boarded up window with a minimal amount of work.

Ran out of time this year but I'll do it next year.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
My friend Tim used pallet wood. He put 2 hooks above the windows [like for Xmas lights] spaced at roughly the 1/3 1n3 2/3 points. He put matching hooks beneath the windows. He took pieces of wood that were longer than the width of the window and stapled them to black nylon cords. He may have tied knots below the staples--I don't recall. The cords are long enough to reach from top hook to bottom hook with some extra for attaching rings. He tied 1/2" interior diameter welded rings to the ends of the cords. Place the rings on the top hooks first and then attach to the lower hooks. The nylon cord should have a little stretchiness [is that a real word?] and you want the cords to have a little tension so the boards don't swing when the wind hits them--it sort of kills the 'nailed up' illusion when that happens. He leaves the hooks on the house year round and stores his window treatments by just rolling them up . He likes the pallet wood because it's pretty distressed to begin with and it just gets worse looking when you rip it off the pallet. He puts an inch, sometimes a little more between the boards and puts a few on at angles. He made one for the storm door, too, but I don't know how he attaches it. I like this method because it does take a ton of work and it doesn't hurt the exterior of the house anymore than my wife's Xmas crap. There's probably a 3M removable hook out there somewhere that won't even leave a hole or mark.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm boarding up my windows for the first time this year. I got one out of five done so far. First I picked up a free pallet and after measuring it, I realized the wood was not long enough. Since I can't paint, I went to Home Depot to get a very large 1/2" foam board and a roll of wood grain contact paper. I stuck the contact paper onto the foam board and used a knife to cut long "boards." Since my window ledge was at a slant, I couldn't make a frame so I just use velcro to stick it onto the frame of the window. It holds pretty well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did this a few years ago at my old house. Just cut a bunch of strips of pink foam insulation (1/2" i think). Painted them black then highlighted with white. Then glued them all together. A little flimsy though as it needed some sort of backing, although they never broke and i still have them in garage somewhere.

By jrzmac at 2007-03-06

By jrzmac at 2007-03-06

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I'm new, so here's my 2 cents:

I built a frame out of thin pink sheets of foam to fit just inside my window. I used a pencil to score wood grain and then added the cross-piece "boards" and painted it.

To attach the frame to the windows, I bought small round velcro stickers in white to match my vinyl window color and stuck the "male" dots onto the back of the frame at the 4 corners, then the "female" dots onto the window. They are practically invisible the rest of the year (I leave the dots on year round). Then each year I just have to press the boarded-up frames into place and occasionally need to replace a dot here and there.

The velcro is waterproof and stands up to a pretty good wind.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thats what I was thinking about doing this year, using velcro to attach the foam boards to my windows. I dont have anywhere to hang boards from or a frame to hang them to and I dont want to screw into the house. Hopefully I can get the velcro to do the job, at least the foam is pretty light.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have any pics.. will be sure to take some this Halloween...

As far as fitting the frames... what I meant was that the windows themselves are set into the vinyl frame a bit. I will upload a drawing to show you what I mean when I'm on my Mac tomorrow at work. It'll be much clearer that way than me trying to describe it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Finally have a pic to share of my boarded up windows for this year's haunt. Styrofoam strips hot-glued together and painted, then velcro-ed to the windows. Held up with no problem for 2 weeks.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Mine are 2x4 framed to fit the window opening from sill to header. I have 3/8 lag screws into the bottom and I back them to wedge them into the opening. I have had strong winds and lots of rain and they don't budge.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
I used 1/4" luan plywood that I stuck to the aluminum storm windows with some heavy duty double sided tape. It's made by 3M. It was around $5 at Lowes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts