Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other day my wife says, "Hey, I think it would be really cool if we could board up those extra windows on the house that are too small to really put props in! That would look awesome for Halloween!) and of course, I agreed. So I started looking around and I haven't found too much in the way of tutorials on how people do this. I found one about making boards out of foam, but I'm worried about the Kansas winds tearing those down really easily.

I also read about making them out of fence pickets, and making a frame for it and hanging the frame in front of the actual window, but I assume that would get really heavy.

So I know a lot of you out there do this...so what are your methods for attaching the boards to the windows? Do you make frames to just cover the windows? Do you just screw pallet wood to the window frames and actually board them up? Just looking for some creative options out there from people who've done this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi eanderso13, I think it's a great idea and it really adds a good look to the house for Halloween. I use old fence pickets for my windows. What I did was use 2 furniture furring strips (1") and spaced them as wide as my windows, then beat up the pickets for a little extra character. I made the furring strips long enough so that I could lean them against the window and used adhesive velcro to keep them from tipping over if it got windy.

You can also 'age' wood quickly if you want to use new cedar/pine from the local hardware store. Take vinegar and add a couple of pieces of steel wool and wait a day or two. Then brush the liquid onto the wood and it will turn gray almost immediately. The longer the steel wool soaks the more potent the graying. You can use more while brushing on to get a grayer look also.

Here's my boarded windows:

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
My lower windows are boarded with faux foam boards. We attach them with Velcro and they stand up to north Texas straight line winds.

The new boards I have for the upper windows are made of old fence pickets mainly because they were free. (just replaced a fence)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used pallet boards for my windows. I just disassembled the pallets then cut up a wire hanger into 5" pieces bending them into an "s" shape, then stuck one end into an old nail hole on the pallet and hooked the other end into my shutter slates. I only needed a few boards on each window as there were props in them but this year I'll do most of my porch window that way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All excellent ideas! Thanks, everyone! It seems the foam boards are more prevalent than I expected.

Dariusobells, did you use the big "industrial" velcro? How did you attach it so the Texas winds didn't destroy the foam boards? I was thinking staple gun to the wood window frames, but does the peel-and-stick stuff on the velcro stick to the foam alright?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the process of making these myself out of pink foam. I used a wood grain tool. I am making 30" wide panels to fit my windows. Putting 2 on the double and 3 on the triple windows. cut, paint, glue together, attach to 1"x2"'s. put hooks in board and hang on windows - putting mini bungies at the bottom board to attach to window so wont' fly off in New England winds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life.... I used foam and will post pictures ASAP. I just had a quick question really anyone who uses foam in their props could answer.... I painted my foam to simulate wood with acrylic paint. How does one seal foam?

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,924 Posts
I have not had any issues with any of my foam boards in the weather. I use a latex exterior base, a dry brushing with exterior latex, then detail with acrylics. Here are my boards and mounting method. I glued mine to vinyl lathe strips and stapled webbing strap to the ends that get closed up in the storm windows.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Inf or more answers. I did mine for the first time last year and it ewas great but i did not use velco, glue or anything like that. I simply tapped them to the side paneling which came off fine. However, they did fall when it rained so i am thinking about taking fishing wire and wrapping it around each baord to have for four for each window.
but we shall see. The pics of from last year:
photo 1.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since no one else has mentioned it yet, I'll throw in my technique.

I thought of this idea very late in the season last year and wanted to get it done quick and dirty, so I just cut strips about 4 inches wide from long cardboard boxes I had laying around - at least one side was plain brown. I used a sharpie to draw wood grain and knots on them, then hot glued lengths of fishing line to the backs of the "boards", making them into one piece that could be hanged from small screws in the frame of my windows.

It certainly wasn't the most durable or the most realistic approach but at night time and from the typical viewing distance, it looked like the real deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts