Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it might be nice to list available board games that can still be purchased that are great and thematic for October. I'll kick off the list. Some descriptions taken or revised from Boardgamegeek.com.
  1. Betrayal Legacy (players 3-5, age 12+, 45-90 minutes): marries the concept of Betrayal at House on the Hill — exploring a haunted mansion — with the permanency and multi-game storytelling exhibited by Daviau's Risk Legacy and other legacy games that followed. Betrayal Legacy consists of a prologue and a thirteen-chapter story that takes place over decades. Players represent families, with specific members of a family participating in one story, then perhaps an older version of those characters (assuming they lived) or their descendants showing up in later stories.Why would people keep exploring a haunted mansion for decade after decade, especially when horrible things happen there? Curiosity, I suppose, or perhaps an ignorant boldness that comes from the belief that we know better than those who have come before. Look at all that we've learned, marvel at the tools we have at hand! Surely we'll all exit safely this time...
    As with other Betrayal titles, the game is narratively-driven, with elements that record the history of your specific games. The tools mentioned earlier, for example, become attached to specific families. This isn't just a bucket; it's my bucket, the one my grandpappy used to feed his family's pigs when he was a boy, and while you can certainly use that bucket, I know how to wield it best from the time he spent teaching me how to slop. Yes, it's an heirloom bucket, and when kept in the family, I get a bonus for using it. After playing the 13 episodes, you have way more haunts than were in the structured game still to explore and your own customized game!
  2. Betrayal at House on the Hill (players 3-6, age 12+, 60 minutes): As above, but not episodic/customized and no heirlooms. Layout of house is different every time as you build it as you explore and 50 possible Haunts can be triggered, many where one of you is revealed to be a traitor working against the others. Think of the game as the ultimate scary (or campy) movie story generator! Widow's Walk expansion adds 50 more haunts for a total of 100 possible every time you play! Be aware, many in the expansion might drift from the classic horror movie narrative as were written by many different people.
  3. Horrified (1-5 players, age 10+, 60 minutes): The stakes have been raised. Imagine living in a place so wretched that it's not plagued by one, two, or even three monsters — but seven of the most horrifying fiends! In this game, you'll come face to face with them all as you work together to rid the town of the maniacal or misunderstood creatures…before it's too late.
    Horrified includes high-quality sculpted miniatures (Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Dracula, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon). Its innovative, easy-to-learn, cooperative gameplay has players working together against the monsters with varying levels of difficulty. Just as each monster is unique, they require different strategies and tactics to be defeated.
  4. Fury of Dracula fourth edition (2-5 players, 14+, 120-180 minutes): This is a hidden movement game where the vampire hunters are trying to locate and kill Dracula as he moves across Europe. Rounds are broken into day and night, with hunters taking actions during both, while Dracula can act only at night. Combat is streamlined and decisive, and rumor tokens allow Dracula to mislead hunters and extend the terrible reach of his influence. Count Dracula triumphs if he advances his influence track to thirteen; if the hunters can defeat him before then, they save the continent of Europe and win the game.
  5. One Night Ultimate Werewolf (3-10 players, age 8+, 10 minutes): No moderator, no elimination, ten-minute games. A fast game for 3-10 players in which everyone gets a role: One of the dastardly Werewolves, the tricky Troublemaker, the helpful Seer, or one of a dozen different characters, each with a special ability. In the course of a single morning, your village will decide who is a werewolf...because all it takes is lynching one werewolf to win!
    Because One Night Ultimate Werewolf is so fast, fun, and engaging, you'll want to play it again and again, and no two games are ever the same.
    This game can be combined with One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak.
  6. Mansions of Madness Second Edition (1-5 players, age 14+, 120-180 minutes): A fully co-operative, app-driven board game of horror and mystery that takes place in the same universe as Eldritch Horror and Elder Sign. Let the immersive app guide you through the veiled streets of Innsmouth and the haunted corridors of Arkham's cursed mansions as you search for answers and respite. Eight brave investigators stand ready to confront four scenarios of fear and mystery, collecting weapons, tools, and information, solving complex puzzles, and fighting monsters, insanity, and death. Open the door and step inside these hair-raising Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. It will take more than just survival to conquer the evils terrorizing this town. Numerous expansions add new locations, investigators, monsters, and mysteries.
  7. Disney Hocus Pocus: The Game (2-6 players, age 8+, 30 minutes): Based on the 1993 movie "Hocus Pocus", players must work together to ruin the Sanderson Witches’ potion three times before the sun rises. Players hold a hand of ingredients of different types and colors and attempt to match all ingredient types or colors in the cauldron.
    Each turn, players ask a question about other players’ hands, referring to the ingredient type or color (but not both). (For example, “Who has blue ingredients?” or “Who has newt saliva?”) They then play a card from their hand into the cauldron and draw back up to three cards, ending their turn.
    Some ingredient cards have Binx the cat or a spell book on them. When an ingredient with Binx is played into the cauldron, the active player puts the Binx mover in front of any player. That player then lays their cards down so everyone can see them and keeps them there until Binx is moved. If a spell book is played, the active player draws a card from the Spell deck and resolves the card. Spells generally do something to ruin players’ plans.
    If you have cards showing all of one color or all of one object in the cauldron, then you've stunned one of the witches — and you need to stun the witches three times before time runs out! When stunned, a witch cannot cast spells from the deck.
    Players also have four “Tricks” to use based on scenes from the movie; each Trick can be used once per game. For example, "Burning Rain of Death" allows you to discard three potion ingredients and draw three new potion ingredients.
  8. Eldritch Horror (1-8 players, age 14+, 120-240 minutes):
    Across the globe, ancient evil is stirring. Now, you and your trusted circle of colleagues must travel around the world, working against all odds to hold back the approaching horror. Foul monsters, brutal encounters, and obscure mysteries will take you to your limit and beyond. All the while, you and your fellow investigators must unravel the otherworldy mysteries scattered around the globe in order to push back the gathering mayhem that threatens to overwhelm humanity. The end draws near! Do you have the courage to prevent global destruction?
    Eldritch Horror is a co-operative game of terror and adventure in which one to eight players take the roles of globetrotting investigators working to solve mysteries, gather clues, and protect the world from an Ancient One – that is, an elder being intent on destroying our world. Numerous expansions available.
  9. Mysterium (2-7 players, age 10+, 42 minutes): In the 1920s, Mr. MacDowell, a gifted astrologer, immediately detected a supernatural being upon entering his new house in Scotland. He gathered eminent mediums of his time for an extraordinary séance, and they have seven hours to make contact with the ghost and investigate any clues that it can provide to unlock an old mystery.
    Unable to talk, the amnesiac ghost communicates with the mediums through visions, which are represented in the game by illustrated cards. The mediums must decipher the images to help the ghost remember how he was murdered: Who did the crime? Where did it take place? Which weapon caused the death? The more the mediums cooperate and guess well, the easier it is to catch the right culprit. Expansions add new visions, suspects, places, and murder weapons. Co-operative with one person taking the ghost role.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Anyone have Horrified? Sounds neat and since I only have one other person to play with...my options are pretty limited with board games. How does it play with two people if anyone has it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
For Halloween/Horror themed board games we have Betrayal at House on the Hill and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game at home and we love playing both with friends.

I know a description of Betrayal at House on the Hill is listed in the original post here so I'll just share info on Last Night on Earth. It's a survival horror board game when some players are the "hereos" who are some cliche horror movie characters and other players are the zombies, the game is for 2–6 Players. The game has different scenarios that can alter the goal of the game for the heroes and zombies. Would recommend for any board game fans who love cheesy zombie movies.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,299 Posts
It's not a board game, but cards - Gloom.

2+ players, some decent expansion packs, lovely graphics, the one with the best/most deaths wins. :)

Reactions: kristinms8

·
Gramzie
993 Posts
Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein
Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein is a competitive game of strategic monster building for 2-4 players, inspired by Mary Shelley's classic novel of gothic horror. In the game, the creature demands your help to accomplish what his own creator would not: to bring to life an abomination like itself, a companion to end its miserable solitude .

Terror Below is a game of government experiments gone wild in the Nevada desert. The faster you move, the more vibrations you make, attracting the attention of the vicious worms underground. Navigate the difficult terrain to collect valuable worm eggs and deliver them to locations around town to claim bounties. If you're feeling lucky, collect items and weapons to go hunt 'em.
Based off of Tremors
The goal of Terror Below is to be the first player to score 20 victory points (VP) by collecting worm eggs and delivering them to locations around town — or alternatively, by hunting down and killing those vicious worms.

My family's all time favorite is
1995 Mattel ATMOSFEAR The Harbingers Nightmare VCR Board Game Horror
The aim of Atmosfear is to collect a key from each of the six regions of the board before heading to the "Well of Fears" in the center and attempting to draw your fear from among those of your opponents in order to win the game. This must be done before 49 minutes pass, or all players lose automatically. we play it when we can every time all my kids are together in the dark.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Board Game.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game is a board game based on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise. It was developed by Terry Miller Associates and published by Susan Prescot Games. Synopsis Edit. Take your role in either a human or vampire in the battle for control of Sunnydale.You must be vigilant and find your allies before your enemies can unite against them or against you.

Last Friday Board Game
is a hidden movement, hunting and deduction board game, inspired by the popular "slasher" horror movie genre. In the role of young campers, the players are challenged to survive a long weekend of terror – while one of them takes the role of the undying psychopath hiding in the shadows of the forest

I have many more Love Board Games Anyone ever play
Bring Out Yer Dead is a morbid game of family fun.

The head of your family is dead. The will has been read, and you’re last on the list. The only way for you to get your share is for your family to find their final resting places in the most exclusive cemetery in the city. Lightly based off Monty Python

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Board Games. Yeah, I love them..... So much so that I married a goth geek who shares my my passion. Midnight Party & Dracula are lots of fun with young children. Both Dark Shadows are excellent to play with young 10yr - 12yr olds. Munchkin Cthulhu - great for everyone. Can't leave out Zombies. Even tho my kids are teenagers now, they still love HP Lovecraft & board games.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Anyone have Horrified? Sounds neat and since I only have one other person to play with...my options are pretty limited with board games. How does it play with two people if anyone has it?
I just got it! So far I've only gotten as far as opening it, punching the pieces out, and reading the directions, but I'm a little bit intimidated, it seems involved. I'm sure it won't seem so hard once I'm playing, but I read you can even do a single player game.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Not sure if it's quite Halloween-y, but I'll be giving out a few Clue and Yeti, Set, Go! games this year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been looking about for a long time but doesn anyone know of any simple, Halloween board games? Like the roll the dice/take a card/do what the square says, easy type of games? All I ever find is the more complicated ones but my older sis has a learning disability and can only play games like Trouble and Sorry - nothing more complicated than that. (We used to have a Christmas board game that was a lot of fun and had little tokens (presents) that did different things and a Santa's bag and little things like that and you did whatever was on the square you landed on. It was a great little board game! I'd love to find a nice Halloween equivalent!)

·
Gramzie
993 Posts
I've been looking about for a long time but doesn anyone know of any simple, Halloween board games? Like the roll the dice/take a card/do what the square says, easy type of games? All I ever find is the more complicated ones but my older sis has a learning disability and can only play games like Trouble and Sorry - nothing more complicated than that. (We used to have a Christmas board game that was a lot of fun and had little tokens (presents) that did different things and a Santa's bag and little things like that and you did whatever was on the square you landed on. It was a great little board game! I'd love to find a nice Halloween equivalent!)
Ghost Chase Board Game. Kill Dr Lucky are a couple of easy ones

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
We bought Midnight Party & Dracula game a few years ago when our kids were little.
They are very simple yet charming games that you might be able to find online.
Also saw oogie boogie at Spirit Halloween

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
We bought Midnight Party & Dracula game a few years ago when our kids were little.
They are very simple yet charming games that you might be able to find online.
Also saw oogie boogie at Spirit Halloween
The Midnight Party game looks interesting! (Though a little pricey.) Which Dracula game are you referring to? I found quite a few different ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts