Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my holiday travels, I saw an expensive ($200) blue laser dot unit for Christmas use in the SkyMall catalog. Can anyone recommend a cheaper (sub-$50) blue laser unit that will create a similar effect, say from eBay or Amazon? I have several of the ~$15 red and green stage lighting units many of us bought this year for Halloween. Would be nice to have a blue one to light the front of my house for simulating snow. Or just for a neat post-Halloween ambiance.

Here is the Firefly unit I saw in the catalog:
Firefly Landscape Laser Light:
http://www.skymall.com/firefly-landscape-laser-light/T0T682.html#q=laser&start=1

There was another Christmas laser unit in the same catalog for $150 that I wasn't sure I liked as much, but here it is--too Christmas-specific for my tastes:
Indoor / Outdoor Christmas Laser Lightshow Projector:
http://www.skymall.com/indoor-%2F-outdoor-christmas-laser-lightshow-projector/482404.html

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like this comes from Solutions - CyberMonday sale of 35% off + free shipping

Looks like the blue laser unit in SkyMall comes from Solutions:

http://solutions.blair.com/e/firefly-landscape-laser-lights/9188.uts#

And I see they're having a 35% off + free shipping sale for CyberMonday using code TW2344. They also seem to offer a 15% off coupon to sign-up for emails. Don't know if discounts are stackable--probably not; never ordered from this company.

Considering the blue laser is an indoor / outdoor unit, and I'd want to use it this Christmas unattended, wonder if it's worth the (in my opinion) high cost of ~$200 list. Seems to be the same price whether you choose red, green, or blue.

Searching around eBay and Amazon.com, I'm not seeing much in the way of less expensive options for any sort of blue laser dot light projector; not the unweatherized cheapies or outdoor ones either. Maybe this is as good as it gets for now price-wise?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction. I do see a Sparkle Magic Indigo Twilight (Blue) Illuminator Laser Light being sold on Amazon and eBay for $129 + shipping. The reviews aren't great--but then again, Amazon reviews can often be taken with a grain of salt. I haven't done a quick side-by-side feature comparison.

Anyone have experience with either unit?

Looks like the blue laser unit in SkyMall comes from Solutions:

http://solutions.blair.com/e/firefly-landscape-laser-lights/9188.uts#

And I see they're having a 35% off + free shipping sale for CyberMonday using code TW2344. They also seem to offer a 15% off coupon to sign-up for emails. Don't know if discounts are stackable--probably not; never ordered from this company.

Considering the blue laser is an indoor / outdoor unit, and I'd want to use it this Christmas unattended, wonder if it's worth the (in my opinion) high cost of ~$200 list. Seems to be the same price whether you choose red, green, or blue.

Searching around eBay and Amazon.com, I'm not seeing much in the way of less expensive options for any sort of blue laser dot light projector; not the unweatherized cheapies or outdoor ones either. Maybe this is as good as it gets for now price-wise?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QVC also seems to have their own model for around $160. BlissLights seems to be the manufacturer here for many of these units) for around $160. Doesn't look like the same model and housing as the Solutions / SkyMall version. And the QVC model doesn't seem available for immediate shipping--they list it as being on a Waitlist:

http://www.qvc.com/BlissLights-Outdoor-Indoor-Firefly-Light-Projector-with-Timer.product.H203173.html

And here's a link to the PDF manual QVC lists for the above unit. It is a "BlissLights Spright Lite":

http://www.qvc.com/footers/fth/pdf/H203173_Manual.pdf

Would like to see more detailed specs on the one sold by Solutions that I might go for. But don't want to Choose Unwisely; often a pain to return things, and I have no idea how good or bad Solutions' customer service is.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Improvements Catalog is offering a similar item too, but the colors seem to be red and/or green: http://m.improvementscatalog.com/pr...ctor~christmas~outdoor-christmas-decorations~

If interested, check RetailMeNot for any applicable discount code. Think there's one for 20% of a single item right now.
Thanks Saruman. Yep, I do see that it's only red and/or green. And don't think it's from BlissLights as a manufacturer. Thanks for the RetailMeNot link--seems to be a reliable source for discount codes. Often forget to check there, but I've used their codes before successfully. Thanks again for the heads up on that.

So, it seems like there's an older, metal housing Blisslights model without a timer that Solutions, and some others, may sell. While the QVC model looks like a newer, resin-based housing model having a timer and, if I'm reading things correctly, a larger throw area. Not entirely sure. Going to watch some of the "pitch" QVC videos for the newer Blisslights unit on YouTube to see what I can discover.

Hoping someone other than QVC sells that particular model--and at a large discount come tomorrow (Cyber Monday).

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hope you don't get us kicked off the forum using the "C" word but I got a little excited when I saw this post. I might spend forever on Halloween but I spend all of 5 minutes on Christmas (find Spright Light, plug in Spright Light, done). I bought my green Spright Light in 2012 and was so blown away I bought another as a back up in case they quit making them. It was a little over $200 - so expensive I chained it to the tree so nobody would make off with it. At that time the blue one was close to $500 so when I saw this post I checked to make sure that the price has come down and it has but I did notice something. Mine (pictured) appears larger and all its components are metal. It don't know if they are skimping on quality now to lower the price or if the newer design is an advance in technology. Anyway - I hope you end up getting a blue one and let us know how it turns out.

Camera accessory Technology Electronic device Cameras & optics Gadget

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope so too. But this is potentially for use in both holidays. :)

QVC claims that their model of Blisslight, while plastic, is resin and military grade--something like that. Evidently pretty sturdy. They also claim their unit provides approximately 4X times the coverage than the older metal units. The "original" or older unit evidently provides around 600 sq feet of coverage, while they claim theirs provides over 2000 feet of coverage--that would be important to me. With the cheap $15 green laser dot unit from Amazon and eBay, I had to purchase around 3 of them to get the coverage I wanted for my backyard. Does yours have a plug-in timer unit? The QVC model does. Not a big deal for me--I have my own timers.

Will have to wait and see, since the blue laser model from QVC is on "waitlist" status. And the Solutions one seems to be the older model with a lot less coverage.

Thanks for contributing to the thread and posting the photo of your Blisslight. If and when I get one, I'll post photos / results as I have time. But if anyone sees one similar to the QVC model as a Cyber Monday sale, or anywhere other than QVC--the blue laser model specifically, please post.

I hope you don't get us kicked off the forum using the "C" word but I got a little excited when I saw this post. I might spend forever on Halloween but I spend all of 5 minutes on Christmas (find Spright Light, plug in Spright Light, done). I bought my green Spright Light in 2012 and was so blown away I bought another as a back up in case they quit making them. It was a little over $200 - so expensive I chained it to the tree so nobody would make off with it. At that time the blue one was close to $500 so when I saw this post I checked to make sure that the price has come down and it has but I did notice something. Mine (pictured) appears larger and all its components are metal. It don't know if they are skimping on quality now to lower the price or if the newer design is an advance in technology. Anyway - I hope you end up getting a blue one and let us know how it turns out.

View attachment 232160

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QVC Cyber Monday Sale

I found a blue laser dot model on QVC under a different SKU for $100 + shipping. Blue was literally the only color choice available. I quickly jumped on it, figuring I could return it if it's not what I want. Not enough time to research but posting link:

http://www.qvc.com/Ships-125-BlissLights-Outdoor-Indoor-Spright-Smart-Firefly-Light.product.H205108.html?sc=H205108-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-H205108&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/h/08/h205108.001?$uslarge$

You can go to QVC.com and search on: firefly
... to bring up the two models. They still have the $160 model, all 3 colors, but marked as on Waitlist.

EDIT: After I placed my order and revisited the link, it said these were no longer available. Not sure if this is a gimmick, or if stock will show-up later in the day. It's 6:13am Eastern time for jeep's sake! Hoping my order is processed. Or that they'll at least honor the price if it's backordered. Also hope the coverage is the same as the other unit.

Here's a PDF of the manual of this new unit that appeared this morning. It's a Blisslights Spright *Smart*--and so does sound like a new model and/or re-branded. I'd have to check both PDFs in further detail, or read-up on specs to be sure. At this price, and not a huge size, I probably would attempt to return it if I don't like it. We'll see what happens:

http://www.qvc.com/footers/fth/pdf/H204953_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the unit I purchased this morning is still showing as "not available at this time." I may have gotten incredibly lucky. Will have to spend more time looking at the two PDFs to see what differences there may be, if any, between the one I bought and the higher priced one QVC sells.

I found a blue laser dot model on QVC under a different SKU for $100 + shipping. Blue was literally the only color choice available. I quickly jumped on it, figuring I could return it if it's not what I want. Not enough time to research but posting link:

http://www.qvc.com/Ships-125-BlissLights-Outdoor-Indoor-Spright-Smart-Firefly-Light.product.H205108.html?sc=H205108-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-H205108&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/h/08/h205108.001?$uslarge$

You can go to QVC.com and search on: firefly
... to bring up the two models. They still have the $160 model, all 3 colors, but marked as on Waitlist.

EDIT: After I placed my order and revisited the link, it said these were no longer available. Not sure if this is a gimmick, or if stock will show-up later in the day. It's 6:13am Eastern time for jeep's sake! Hoping my order is processed. Or that they'll at least honor the price if it's backordered. Also hope the coverage is the same as the other unit.

Here's a PDF of the manual of this new unit that appeared this morning. It's a Blisslights Spright *Smart*--and so does sound like a new model and/or re-branded. I'd have to check both PDFs in further detail, or read-up on specs to be sure. At this price, and not a huge size, I probably would attempt to return it if I don't like it. We'll see what happens:

http://www.qvc.com/footers/fth/pdf/H204953_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does yours have a plug-in timer unit? ...... 4X times the coverage .........
No timer on mine. RE:4X times the coverage ---- I am NOT going to waste anymore money on Christmas stuff. I'm trying to repeat that to myself over and over. I would like a blue one though. I couldn't find a pic or video my Spright Light in action but did find a Cyclops Laser Light Projector video. It goes well with the Spright Light. Sorry - no blue just green and red. Pre Spright Light, I used to just throw in some green lights with my red Halloween Lighting. I use the Cyclops for everyday use too. I throw on some Techo music on the outdoor speakers and entertain the neighbors. Note: tilt your head to watch the video. Rookie mistake with the cell phone. http://www.snydercentral.com/LaserShow.mp4

Light Lighting Christmas lights Darkness Christmas decoration

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not familiar with what the others are using, but I bought this one off E-bay last year and I plan to use it for Christmas this year. It's a pretty cool device and the price is right!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Red-Gre...age_Lighting_Single_Units&hash=item19f0b6a4ed
I've got three of these. Used them to create a Haunted Forest this Halloween. From the distance I projected them from (inside from a 2nd story window down onto trees that had to be 10 to 20 feet away), don't recall the red dots showing at all--with green being one of the better wavelengths of laser light that the human eye can see. I'm not sure where blue falls into that spectrum--I had my blue Gemmy Lightshow Kaleidoscope unit outside aimed at trees--gave a sort of Avatar / Pandora look. Like you said, sure can't beat the price. I'd originally intended to disable the red laser, just wanting green dots. But again, the red were so faint at the distance I projected that I didn't bother.

That's one huge complaint I've seen on reviews of Blisslights--people buying the Red and being disappointed. Well duh! We home haunted know about red vs. green lasers, green being so much more visible.

Dave, I hadn't thought about using my 3 eBay red / green laser units for Christmas. Mostly because my Christmas display can be seasonal vs. One Night Only. And without them being made for outdoor use... have you created a weather proof / weather resistant housing for your laser unit? May deploy mine if I could come up with something.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No timer on mine. RE:4X times the coverage ---- I am NOT going to waste anymore money on Christmas stuff. I'm trying to repeat that to myself over and over. I would like a blue one though. I couldn't find a pic or video my Spright Light in action but did find a Cyclops Laser Light Projector video. It goes well with the Spright Light. Sorry - no blue just green and red. Pre Spright Light, I used to just throw in some green lights with my red Halloween Lighting. I use the Cyclops for everyday use too. I throw on some Techo music on the outdoor speakers and entertain the neighbors. Note: tilt your head to watch the video. Rookie mistake with the cell phone. [/URL]

I understand Russell. I like buying things I can use for both holidays--blue is completely justifiable. But then green is pretty killer for Halloween too... If I see the green Blisslight on sale again, and I end up being happy with the coverage my blue gives me, I may go for it. Not so much for Christmas, but for my Haunted Forest. I was blown away by the green Blisslights pointed at trees; Disney uses these at it's Aulani resort on Oahu--where I got to stay with friends at a 70% off discount, since they are cast members at Walt Disney World in Orlando. That's the first time I ever saw such a thing. I'd photographed the units I saw--they point them up into trees and all along their lazy river--researched, and found the price too rich for my tastes. So I was excited this season to see the $15 eBay / Amazon "red and green stage laser projector" -- the ones in the blue housing like Dave posted. But they're not weather proof or weather resistant.

Thanks for posting a pic of your lights in use.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Were is everyone finding these laser lights? i can't find them anywhere.
I bought three of these from Amazon for Halloween. $14.59 plus free non-Amazon Prime shipping. Didn't take too terribly wrong to arrive. Forget which Amazon.com marketplace vendor I used, but pretty sure it shipped from the U.S. vs. China.

You can just go to Amazon.com and type in something like: red green stage projector or red green stage lighting
Also on eBay. Just take a close look at the patterns in any photos in sales listings, because there are some variations in the units.
I only wanted one that could do green dots.

http://www.amazon.com/FORESTORE-Projector-Spotlight-Equipment-Party-Blue/dp/B00HB3MZD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417601338&sr=8-1&keywords=red+green+stage+projector

If you check Other Sellers on this unit from Amazon, you'll see some Amazon Prime eligible ones, but at around $17.49 per unit. I may actually have spent a little more and gone with an Amazon Prime qualified vendor, actually. Was worth it to pay a little more to get these units shipped quickly. Something to think about. I don't think I'll get my blue Blisslight Sprite Smart from QVC until 12/11... doesn't ship any earlier than 12/5 as I recall.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts