Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm gathering information for a segment I'll be doing on Hauntopic called "blue foam, pink foam, what's the deal??" I want your input. Let me know what your thoughts are. Do you prefer one over the other? Price? Uses? For our West Coasters, I understand that only white foam is available? Tell me all about it.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know anything about the pink foam. They only sell the blue foam here in North Carolina and it works great for my purposes.

Anyway, I always thought it was pink foam for girl haunters and blue foam for boy haunters...........:)
Haha, you might be onto something here. Pink foam is the same blue I do believe. Home Depot sells pink here in Omaha. Lowes sells the blue.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Haha, you might be onto something here. Pink foam is the same blue I do believe. Home Depot sells pink here in Omaha. Lowes sells the blue.
That is also my understanding, and my experience here in Colorado.
Further, I've not seen the blue foam in 4'x8' sheets at Lowe's. The largest size I've seen is 2'x8'.
The pink foam at Home Depot does come in 4'x8' sheets.
I prefer Lowe's, overall, as a home improvement store. But a lot of staples of haunt-prop creation can only be found at Home Depot.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Aren't they different colors to represent their manufacturer? The pink is DOW(Pink Panther)...I can't remember what company the blue is.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
To me they both work the same. Pink is Owens-Corning (pink panther) and the blue is Dow.

The pink got changed a few years ago and the color changed to a pink/lavender color. It is slightly more dense than the old pink used to be. But, generally they both carved the same.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen the blue here. Home Depot sells pink and Lowe's sells green. Both stores carry 3/4, 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch. The 1/2 inch is the dirty yellow gold and has the foil like backing. The pink does have the pink panther printed on it and here it's still pink. (Older stock maybe? Though living in NY you'd think they sell a lot). Not sure about who makes the green. I've used both and haven't noticed much of a difference either other than the edges where it's meant to connect together.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ummmmm--Blue foam is made by Dow--Dow diamond--I know this for sure because I use to live in Midland, MI --North American headquarters of Dow Chemical and once made a pair of blue foam "diamond" earrings for the president of Dow--long story...

Anyway I believe it does have to do with manufacturers and properties of the foam--I could give you more detail if my hubby was home--he use to work for Dow and we had this discussion--but it was a long time ago and not something I needed to keep in the old memory banks...

After I posted I noticed Terra's post---sorry Terra.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To the best of my knowlege there is no difference between the blue and the pink foam, just who makes it. They are both "extruded polystyrene foam" not to be confused with the white foam that is "expanded polystyrene foam" ( blue and pink are smooth where the white foam looks like "pebbles" stuck together) that is not to say that there is not white extruded foam available somewhere.

I have used both the blue and pink for projects with no noticable difference. In some areas it may just boil down to price between the two colors/brands.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Decided to do a little research for my own curiosity as I mentioned in an earlier post "blue foam" isn't available in either Home Depot or Lowe's here. The green foam board sold here at Lowes is made by Pactiv and is promoted as "Green" (environmentally friendly) It does have it's advantages depending on use since it doesn't have the tongue and groove edge. It has the overlap hang which gives the edge more of a finished look like you would find on most tables and furniture. I never really gave it a lot of thought till I started reading this post but using both the green and pink frequently it seems like the green is a little tougher to cut through by hand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts