Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I did these in less than a week. We used regular mold rubber latex instead of carpet adhesive and it dries soooo much quicker without the sticky mess. We used this with unrolled cotton balls.

Here are the skulls:

Here they are completed with the stain (and an eye in each) completed:

Then we took a cheap Blucky skeleton and did the same thing. Those things are a lot smaller and more flimsy than they used to be. I used a method that I saw online about inserting PVC into the body in order to get it to stand. I don't have pics of the PVC process...I was cussing too much to take pictures! :D

Anyway, here is my daughter working on the skull:

The body itself:

A little drying time and some stain later and he's pretty cool looking for a cheap Blucky!

I don't think I'll ever go back to carpet adhesive after using this. It's quicker and doesn't stick to itself.

I have some LED lights on the way to go in his eye sockets.

Sandy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Training the kids at a young age. Good idea :)
Turned out great!

MsM
Oh yes! She loves Halloween. She's ready to start in July! She didn't have much of a choice though. She's being raised with a love for the feeling that Halloween inspires, and of course, good horror movies!

Thank you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you get the mold latex?
I think I got if off of ebay last year. I was going to try to make some molds, but decided to try it on the Blucky. I think some online Halloween vendors have it. It was just a small container, but try looking on this site's list of vendors. I'm on my way home, but I'll check tomorrow and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
post a how-to, im going to corpse a few in a few days and i like how yours looks
Here is the site I used, well sorta, for the PVC. I don't have a drill and the electric screwdriver I had just wouldn't make it through the brackets, so I superglued him. Well, he's still adjustable is all I can say! A drill is my investment next year.

The corpsing is just rubbing a little latex rubber on the plastic and sticking some unrolled cotton balls on and then rubbing more latex over the cotton. My daughter liked to put a bunch in one place and dipped the cotton in the rubber and this turned out well because, like on his chest, I went back and stretched the cotton in stings to where I wanted it. Then I took some water based stain (several hours later...the latex dries pretty quick) and rubbed it on with a paper towel. I can't recall the color, but I can look tonight.

Hope this helps!

And, thank you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frightprops

Where did you get the mold latex?
I found where you can get latex and it is a vendor that is listed on this site.

Frightprops has all sizes it looks like from 55 gal drums to 16 oz. The 16 oz size is only 9.00. Look here

I used a small tub for the blucky. I think it was less than 16 ozs.

Oh, the stain was min-wax water based in rosewood color.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! - I found the same stuff at Michaels. Thanks for the how-to as well.
You're welcome.

I went to Spirit last night (it finally opened!) and I saw they actually have the better made Bluckys. The skull is actually life-size and not the little cheap, glow in the dark ones from Big Lots like I used. I think they were 19.99 though which is about 5.00 higher than the cheap ones, but if Spirit would have opened last week, that is the one I would have used. I hadn't seen the well made Bluckys in awhile. Actually, the one I got had 2 of the same legs, so on one side the kneecap is in the back! Talk about two left feet! :D

Have fun! I think you'll be pleased with how your latex works!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I would update my thread to show him in the graveyard at night and with the LED lights I got from Monster Guts.

From the house side:

I need to make him some eyes or something so the lights will be in the center. I'm pretty pleased with him even though his foot keeps falling off. Dang bones, just can't keep 'em together. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks REALLY good! It is much more "fleshy" than some of the other corping examples I have seen. I plan on doing some myself this weekend so I will post some pics afterwards. Thanks for all the help!
Thanks and you're welcome!

I have to credit the fleshyness to my 9 year old daughter. She stuck clumps of cotton soaked latex all over his chest and head. She thought it looked bad, but actually it make it look great. I just grabbed part of those clumps on his chest while holding it in place and stretched it over a few ribs here and there. I did the arms and hips and if you can see, it's not near as good as the chest she did. So...clump it on there and stretch away! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts