Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Metamora Michigan there is a two mile long stretch of dirt road in a dark wooded area know as Blood Road. I read about it in Weird Michigan. A few friends took a ride out there a few days before Halloween. The thing was the road was supposed to turn red behind you as you drove on. I was a great time and we were attached by a crazy dog (while in the car, of course) but we had to put the brake on so as not to run over the crazy canine...and do you know what...the road behind us had turned red, like blood. Hahahaha...it was really just the brake lights coming on and making the ground look red every time we stopped so as not to hit the dog. We had a good time, and with a full moon it really added atmosphere.

So, do you have a creepy tale to share?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do you live close to Metamora, Michigan?? i have never heard of it. I am originally from just north of Bay City area Standish to be exact.LOL SOunds liek a fun ride anyway.LOL

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am outside of Detroit so it was about 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
not to far away from all my family. I live in Northern Indiana now. Welcome to the forum . Lots of great ideas here. :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm from Connecticut, supposedly the most haunted state in the US, so I've been to quite a few creepy places. There is a story that in a nearby town a couple of kids were killed at an intersection at the bottom of a highway off ramp. Legend has it that if you put your car in neutral at the bottom of the hill on the off ramp, it will be pushed uphill by ghosts of the killed kids to prevent you from getting hurt at the intersection. I've tried it twice and it happened twice; both times there was a period of about 10-30 seconds before the car started moving back up the hill.

There is also a street called Dracula Drive where a family of supposedly inbred "melon heads" live. They are rarely (if ever) seen. I've been on the street and it was creepy but nothing abnormal happened. A town away from where I grew up has Union Cemetery, the location of the famous "Lady in White" ghost that Ed & Lorraine Warren used to talk about. Union Cemetery is located on a street that had multiple residences engaging in satanic worship and it is thought that the rituals brought bad things to the area. Although the lady in white appears to be dressed in Victorian garb and "normal" (not evil), she has been seen crying and being followed by a red orb. She has also been known to stand in the street and, after getting hit by a car, be found sitting in the car's passenger seat or back seat. I have been to Union Cemetery many times and have never had anything paranormal happen. More "paranormal activity" happens in my house than outside of it. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm from Connecticut, supposedly the most haunted state in the US, so I've been to quite a few creepy places. There is a story that in a nearby town a couple of kids were killed at an intersection at the bottom of a highway off ramp. Legend has it that if you put your car in neutral at the bottom of the hill on the off ramp, it will be pushed uphill by ghosts of the killed kids to prevent you from getting hurt at the intersection. I've tried it twice and it happened twice; both times there was a period of about 10-30 seconds before the car started moving back up the hill.

There is also a street called Dracula Drive where a family of supposedly inbred "melon heads" live. They are rarely (if ever) seen. I've been on the street and it was creepy but nothing abnormal happened. A town away from where I grew up has Union Cemetery, the location of the famous "Lady in White" ghost that Ed & Lorraine Warren used to talk about. Union Cemetery is located on a street that had multiple residences engaging in satanic worship and it is thought that the rituals brought bad things to the area. Although the lady in white appears to be dressed in Victorian garb and "normal" (not evil), she has been seen crying and being followed by a red orb. She has also been known to stand in the street and, after getting hit by a car, be found sitting in the car's passenger seat or back seat. I have been to Union Cemetery many times and have never had anything paranormal happen. More "paranormal activity" happens in my house than outside of it. :)
Now that is freaky!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What other strange tales you guys got?? Come on, share with us!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Locally, we have a road named Breakneck Road. I can't say it's haunted or not, but I can tell you how it got its name.

The road runs through some fairly dense but hilly woods. The hills weren't high, but they were steep. For decades, teenagers would race down the road in their cars as fast as they could to basically experience a free rollercoaster ride. And once you got past 60 MPH on that road, most cars were easily capable of uncontrolled flight. Near one end, there was a sharp curve. If you didn't count the hills properly as you drover over them, you'd literally go over the hill immediately before the left hand curve and end up impacting a tree while your car was still as much as 15 feet off the ground.

At some point before I moved down here in 1980, they changed the name of the road to Breakneck Road. For years, I thought it was just a local legend and nobody would really name a road something like that. Then a week after I got my license, I discovered it really existed. Probably would have killed myself that day had I started at the other end. Dozens of kids died on that road. Some summers, it was so bad, there were several kids dying on it each week. Just this past spring, they finished a major roadway reconstruction project that reduced all the roller coaster hills down to the point that the road isn't worth speeding on anymore.

Anyway, it was silly of me to think nobody would ever name a street something like Breakneck Road. This is the state with such colorful street names like Shades of Death Road and Unexpected Road (which runs right by Unexpected Wildlife Refuge :D ) .

·
The Greatest Pumpkin
752 Posts
I think i've heard of this one being debunked. Apparently, the "hill" isn't really a hill. Rather than an incline, it goes downward. But the landscape of the area makes it appear up-hill rather than downhill. I'll see if I can find the article on it! (I might be talking about a completely different place :eek:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah It was debunked on a SYFY TV show called Fact or Faked paranormal something or another. They go out there and test it out and even do a land survey to see what the actual incline/decline is.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The road that got debunked was called Gravity Hill in Pennsylvania. http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2006/0609-the_mysterious_gravity_hill.htm The road I mentioned this happening on was in Trumbull, CT. To my knowledge the rumor about ghosts pushing the car uphill in Connecticut was never debunked because the legend hasn't been discussed too often. I'm sure the car goes uphill in the same way as the PA gravity hill, but it sure LOOKS like your car is pointing downhill towards an intersection when it happens.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Locally, we have a road named Breakneck Road. I can't say it's haunted or not, but I can tell you how it got its name.

The road runs through some fairly dense but hilly woods. The hills weren't high, but they were steep. For decades, teenagers would race down the road in their cars as fast as they could to basically experience a free rollercoaster ride. And once you got past 60 MPH on that road, most cars were easily capable of uncontrolled flight. Near one end, there was a sharp curve. If you didn't count the hills properly as you drover over them, you'd literally go over the hill immediately before the left hand curve and end up impacting a tree while your car was still as much as 15 feet off the ground.

At some point before I moved down here in 1980, they changed the name of the road to Breakneck Road. For years, I thought it was just a local legend and nobody would really name a road something like that. Then a week after I got my license, I discovered it really existed. Probably would have killed myself that day had I started at the other end. Dozens of kids died on that road. Some summers, it was so bad, there were several kids dying on it each week. Just this past spring, they finished a major roadway reconstruction project that reduced all the roller coaster hills down to the point that the road isn't worth speeding on anymore.

Anyway, it was silly of me to think nobody would ever name a street something like Breakneck Road. This is the state with such colorful street names like Shades of Death Road and Unexpected Road (which runs right by Unexpected Wildlife Refuge :D ) .
I'm surprised by how many states allow heavily traveled roads to remain dangerous after years and years of deaths.

In Wilton, CT there was an off ramp from a highway that was long and straight. At the end where cars had to turn left or right there was a huge rock formation. It was known as the local suicide road because kids would get off the ramp, gun their engines, pick up speed, and drive head on into the rock. It became such a problem that a few years ago the town put in a grassy sloped lawn in front of the rock so that if anyone else tried to commit suicide then the car would drive up on an angle and only injure instead of kill the driver. http://wilton.dailyvoice.com/news/wilton-suicide-rates-rise

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are all very interesting indeed! I always thought being a ghost hunter would be an awesome career. Instead I fell in love with writing and create horror stories, ghosts and other scary stuff.

What other scary stories do you guys have to share?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I grew up in Md. near the Catoctin Mountains and the Appalactian Trail. Near a military fort, (cant remember the name) there was a dead end road that supposed to have houses only for cult members. At the dead end there was a small stone church and near it looked like a sacrificial stone. It was dark, we the headlights shined on the whole place and is so creepy!! So we were getting freaked out and turned to leave the road. There were probably about 3 or 4 big houses. As soon as we were close to the main road to get out, we saw headlights quickly come up behind us. Once we gone, we flew home. Omg, I still remember that night like it was yesterday.

edit it was Ft. Detrick!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I grew up in Md. near the Catoctin Mountains and the Appalactian Trail. Near a military fort, (cant remember the name) there was a dead end road that supposed to have houses only for cult members. At the dead end there was a small stone church and near it looked like a sacrificial stone. It was dark, we the headlights shined on the whole place and is so creepy!! So we were getting freaked out and turned to leave the road. There were probably about 3 or 4 big houses. As soon as we were close to the main road to get out, we saw headlights quickly come up behind us. Once we gone, we flew home. Omg, I still remember that night like it was yesterday.
We also used to hang out in Gettysburg on some rocks and at night you saw these white things that people said we ghosts. The times I went there I left before it got dark

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, in rural Pennsylvania, where I am from and every building is 200 years old and no more than a mile from a cemetery, there are lots of supposedly haunted places.

In Florida, especially in the tourist district, we don;t have too many. There are a few occasional ones. We have a grande abandoned mansion here in Clermont and until recently, had an abandoned asylum in Orlando.

A kind-of-nearby haunted "attraction" sort of thing is "Spook Hill" in Lake Wales, where your car will supposedly roll uphill for no apparent reason. This is actually an optical illusion. Still, if I am ever in the area...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think i've heard of this one being debunked. Apparently, the "hill" isn't really a hill. Rather than an incline, it goes downward. But the landscape of the area makes it appear up-hill rather than downhill. I'll see if I can find the article on it! (I might be talking about a completely different place :eek:)
I think you're right. We have an area here in Bucks County that is known for that. It really does appear that your car is rolling up the hill backwards. But it's an optical illusion. It's always interesting to me how so many different places have the same urban legends.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love everyone's post on their haunted experiences. Does anyone have a creepy story that is set during the winter, to go with the snowy time of the new year?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Any ghost story from Pennsylvania? If you're in the proper part of the state, you get snow for more than half the year. Here in Florida, I greatly miss it (funny that after ten years here, the first time I saw snow again was five minutes outside Las Vegas).

Back home, I have seen it snow in July.

Also, I like your profile image, Goremet. I actually saw that someplace else the other day, though for the life of me, I cannot recall where.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts