Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a 'blood fondue' fountain for desert at my demon's ball this year. I bought what I thought would be enough white chocolate to give it a trial run for some neighbor kids before the party, but now I have enough RSVPs to my halloween party that I don't want to use up the chocolate just in case (I live in Africa - can't order more and have it here by 31st so I have what I have).

I have a huge thing of red food color, and also have black, blue, green, yellow. Has anyone ever tried to make blood colored chocolate with white chocolate? I only have one shot, so I don't want to mess it up, but I'm thinking only red might look cheerful instead of gory. If you've done it, or are good with food dyes, I'd love any advice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I only added red and it wasn't enough. I think if you a drop of blue, it will deepen the colour

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would add some black. I've done blood red chocolate using Wilton's Candy Melts. They have a cheerful red that looks great with some of their black candy melts mixed in to deepen. I don't have pictures. The other benefit is that they don't have a strong food coloring flavor that you often associate with black or red food colors. It will be more expensive than doing the dye yourself, but they colors are fantastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for tips. It takes weeks to buy and receive things where I live in Africa, so wasn't possible to buy the chocolate melts as suggested, but I'll keep them in mind for next year. This year going to go with a touch of blue and see if I can't get a deep venous blood color. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried cherry red food color on cupcakes last vacation. I was very careful and made sure that I don't overdo it. They didn't taste like food color. I used the brand Horton Spice Mills ( Canada ). I have not tried on bigger cake. I've used that only once.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would probably use gel food color. It can color without "watering down" what you are tinting. WIltons makes a "no taste" red. We us gel colors for all of our icing and cakes and it works very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts