Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nice fountains! I've had the one in the middle (the torso) for probably 8 years and never used it because I was afraid to clog it... I'm just going to dump a bottle of fake blood in it this year. If it clogs, then I'll unclog it and deal with it later but at least I'll get some use out of it.

Have you tried just fake blood? What happens?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice fountains! I've had the one in the middle (the torso) for probably 8 years and never used it because I was afraid to clog it... I'm just going to dump a bottle of fake blood in it this year. If it clogs, then I'll unclog it and deal with it later but at least I'll get some use out of it.

Have you tried just fake blood? What happens?
I have used bottles of fake blood in the past and it was fine however several stops so far this year and couldn't find "gallons" of blood. I was hoping to avoid buying a bunch of smaller bottles and just make my own if it was easy enough.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Add just a drop of blue food coloring as well to get a more realistic color.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My brother in law just used red food coloring in his and it looked great. i was a teen back then so no clue what it was called. remember seeing it in my sisters garage years later in a gallon bottle. It was a super concentrated one. If you add a tiny drop of yellow you'll get it to look super realistic.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We also use regular water & red food coloring, but it does take a lot of dye. I'll try the tip of a little blue food coloring too, to make it a bit darker. If you can, just buy a bigger bottle of only red dye rather than buying the small boxes/bottles that are a multi-pack available at the grocery store - that's not really enough anyway, and it just wastes the other dye if you don't use it. Buy online in advance.

DSC01464.jpg

We found this fountain at a thrift store & we put it on a faux stone pedestal in our front garden for Halloween. We didn't like the lighting on it so last year my husband brought a desk lamp outside to highlight it better! We gotta come up with a better spotlight this year!

Don't forget to fill a jar or small pitcher with some extra water & put it near your fountains if you run them for a while - we have found that ours does need extra water added to it when we run it awhile. And having the water right there keeps us from getting distracted & forgetting about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought gallons of red food coloring from the local restaurant store. Can't wait to play with the color a bit,,,, I am very hopeful. Good idea to keep some extra "blood" on hand!

·
Registered
170 Posts
There was a powder a cool 3d relief vampire portrait I got from Spencer's gifts I got used. Maybe you could look for that online. I bought this thing many years ago, but the color it created from just a little bit of dissolved powder was great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts