Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hey all - I apologize if this is a second post - but I didn't see my post after I submitted it after 30 mins.. I am making a blood door for a community event - namely - the door will be a real door with some kind of tray on the bottom. a submersible pump will be on the back of the door and I will drill holes in the door so the pump pumps blood red water up to the holes and will make the door look like it is bleeding.

the thing I am missing is.. I have one pump and I wan tto have like 4 or 5 holes in the door. what do I need to get the pump to pump to 4-5 holes? what device will divide the uptake to 4 diff water lines?

thanks in advance. all knowledge appreciated.

J

Registered
hey all - I apologize if this is a second post - but I didn't see my post after I submitted it after 30 mins.. I am making a blood door for a community event - namely - the door will be a real door with some kind of tray on the bottom. a submersible pump will be on the back of the door and I will drill holes in the door so the pump pumps blood red water up to the holes and will make the door look like it is bleeding.

the thing I am missing is.. I have one pump and I wan tto have like 4 or 5 holes in the door. what do I need to get the pump to pump to 4-5 holes? what device will divide the uptake to 4 diff water lines?

thanks in advance. all knowledge appreciated.

J
I run a fairly large backyard hydroponics set up, took care of a lab of 50 or 60 aquariums in college for a research project, and I used to have a 135 gallon xtra high saltwater aquarium. I've got a bit of pump experience.

The critical thing you need to look at is height. A pump might be rated for 840 gph (gallons per hour) but that's at zero head meaning the pump is shooting sideways without interference from gravity. At 6' high, that same pump might be pushing 240 gallons per hour. If you have multiple outlets on the door, you'll need to use multiple valves out of a manifold to control the flow otherwise the bottom outlet will be pushing out all the water and the rest could end up dry. This is really only an issue if the holes are substantially different in height on the door. For example, if you have a hole at 3' and the rest are 5' and above, the 3' hole is going to get a lot of water coming out of it since gravity is working against you the rest of the way up.

To overcome all of that would be to build a system like Frankie's Girl linked to. To cover yourself, make sure your top tank has an overflow line that lets excess water drain back to your lower reservoir. The last thing you want is a flooding door rather than a bleeding door.

For that top reservoir, I'd look at the storage section of walmart and find a little plastic bin.

Registered
I would say look at the bonnie and clyde as well just make a trof at the top filling it with the pump and run lines from that , that are gravity feed

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
great feedback! thanks all! I think I will use a gravity fed system. so I get a plastic bin attach to top - what's a good way to attach the lines into the plastic bin? just plumbers putty? Also - What bin would you use fro the bottom of the door?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts