Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was unseasonably warm here for a bit. This time last week mornings were in the 50s and afternoons hit near 80. This morning....29 degrees and it wont make it into the 50s as a high. Halloween is supposed to be downright cold :( but dont you burn more calories walking in the cold? Haha! It will be an almost two hour walk in Halloween to walk the entire neighborhood. Should be interesting!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
pretty much the same here. you'd think after 31+ years in kentucky i'd be used to crazy temperature swings, but apparently i'm not. i was shocked when i saw frost on my car this morning.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was on my car too! It was already in the 30s leaving class last night and I had short sleeves on..I need new long sleeves lol.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Up here on Long Island, they are already talking of rain on Wednesday morning and Halloween appears to be a question mark. Really I am telling you, I am getting sick and tired of the bad weather for Halloween. Thusfar since 2009, we have had only ONE decent Halloween. 2009 and 2010 we had high winds, 2011 we had a morning snow storm, but this cleared up and the snow melted by the evening which turned out to be a great night...our only great night. Last year 2012, we had a friggin hurricane (Sandy) which took out the power in my area. No really, I have had enough. If there is bad weather this Halloween, I am serously going to consider packing it in for Halloween...at least for the current location. There is just too much thought and effort that goes into putting on a display and I usually start planning for this one day already in August. Then there is the the time, labor and money to building the displays. All I ask for is some decent weather in the time slot of 4:00pm to 9:00pm. Just 5 friggin hours. :mad:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Jeeze! I hope the weather cooperates with ya!
LOL! Yes, I can be a bit dramatic at times, but I DID say I probably will give up on THAT location, not Halloween entirely. That location is my parent's home of which in 2009 and 2010, I was still living there. But I moved out in 2011, but I continued to do Halloween at that location due to the TOT base I have built up. I currently live in duplex apartment house one town over, so I am not too far from my parent's home. Given that I live right next to an apartment complex that doesn't really aprove of TOT's, I figured that the TOT base is pretty low in my area. However, I do live right across from the elementary school my boys go to and my property is within eyeshot of the school. So it MIGHT be possible there could be a good TOT base here, I just don't know. For the past couple years my family goes to my parent's home with me for my display. There is no one here to see what really goes on.

The thing is that my current location is even WORSE than my parent's home. There are no coverings, no awnings, no vestibules at all. So whatever I do, MUST be totally weatherproof from the get go.

The only thing that I have facing the front of the house is a front door and a large picture window (see attached, lower floor). So you see, not much to work with. The backyard is a pretty good size, but again, it is all open, no coverings, nothing. Really the only ideas I have come up with for this location would be Hallowindows in the large picture window, and perhaps do something with the front door.

For the front door I had thought about taking the main door off it's hinges and put a 'remade' door that would be set up with the Magic Mirror in it. You see that is another issue as well...the house only has ONE door. So whatever I do with the front door, it still needs to function as a door so we can get in and out of the house!

Again, not much to work with. But even though I do have more room at my parents home, I still have the dilema of weather to deal with.

I don't know, I just have to rethink things through given that I know now that Halloweens in my area generally have bad weather.

If I were to move into a house that had a front porch or even a garage, then I could put the weather sensitive stuff in there for Halloween and only keep the weatherproof stuff out. That is why I am so envious of those that have a garage or porch to work out of. That would be a tremendous asset in weather protection.

Again, I am just crossing my fingers and hoping that Halloween turns out good weather wise.

Geo

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hallowindow is great for any weather!
I did the Hallowindows in 2011 and I have been thinking about for the large window in my new location. That is one thing that is pretty much weather proof outside of a loss in power!

I would do this at the new location (pictured above in my previous post). I think I would eventually stop doing Halloween at my parent's location IF I knew what the TOT base is like here. I think I might ask the neighbors to keep dibs on about how many TOTs come around here. Still even if the TOT count is low, living across the street from a grade school does have it's advantages in terms of visual exposure. Seeing a house decorated for Halloween by the kids at that school would most certainly bookmark my house as a stop for Halloween.

Geo

·
Registered
570 Posts
I live next door to an elementary school & while I don't get hordes, I get regulars.
I guess that is one better than me. That is surprising though that being next to a school if you are decorated before hand that you don't get a slew of kids on the big night. Then again, perhaps we should put things into perspective. What are your TOT numbers for Halloween? Generally at the location where I hold put up my Halloween display, which is a standard neighborhood with no main road,(in 2011) I think I got about 75 to 100 TOTs. This year I am expecting a bit more. I do get regulars as well...most of them let me know that too :).

The house where I actually live IS one house down from a fairly busy main road so it is within eyeshot of the entire school campus. But in terms of the road, the house is only seen from one direction (westbound). I would have faired better if the house was ON the main road, there are a couple of houses that have their yards decorated nicely. Sadly on my block, other than myself, there is one other apartment (2nd floor) that has decorations out.

I guess I will have to see for myself how things are in this neighborhood. The shame is though once I do switch over, I will be thinking about the disappointed kids over by my parent's place. I will leave a note about the display being moved if there are those that wouldn't mind taking a trip to the next town. I know that may sound far fetched to most here, but I have noticed that there were several TOTs that were being DRIVEN around by their parents. Two I know are regulars and come every year.

I don't know, right now there is just so much up in the air as to what I am going to do next year. For now I just have to think about this year. So far the only good news is that it isn't going to rain today, so I can head out and 'fine tune' my display to handle the weather a little bit better. Then I can just hope for the best and that the heavier rains will STAY late in the evening, hopefully then I will have everything pulled in by then.

Well, good luck to you and everyone else this year and hopefully we can all pull off a good Halloween despite the weather.

Geo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts