Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read this online:

"You can make your own UV-sensitive paint by mixing RIT-brand fabric whitener and brightener with just about any commercial paint, lacquer, or varnish. If the paint is water-based, you can use the liquid RIT. If the paint is solvent-based, use the powder RIT. The ratio is not critical - anywhere between 1:5 and 1:20 (RIT:paint)."

i have some green water-based acrylic paint and some powder RIT whitener that i'm using to dye my cheesecloth for black light sensitivity. i should have some of the powder left over. will it work to mix it with the paint, or should i get the liquid RIT for the paint, or should i get something else entirely for blacklight paint?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't heard of this trick before, but I like it! The powder should work since it is intended to dissolve in water and your paint is water-based. I may try it myself, with our liquid Tide laundry detergent since that is what I already have...

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried it last night and had zero success with it. it's possible i didn't use enough RIT, or didn't apply enough of the paint once i'd mixed in the RIT, but i painted a cup with the RIT/paint solution and got nothin'.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know why it would work.not saying it won't, but whitener has phosphates in it which makes it show brighter.glow in the dark has phosphorescent there's difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know why it would work.not saying it won't, but whitener has phosphates in it which makes it show brighter.glow in the dark has phosphorescent there's difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts