Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what type of blacklight bulbs are worth buying, so I need some help. I'm sure I'm in the right place to find some answers!

I'm trying to light 2 different areas of my house for our halloween party and trick or treaters.

One is indoors, I'm making a shelf of potions, that will glow under black light, I have recessed lighting above the shelf, should I try to find cfl blacklights to use in the existing lights? Or I noticed talk of led blacklights? I wasn't sure what styles of those are available.

I am also lighting a wall with a glowing web and some other decorations outside, last year I sat 2 tube blacklights on the ground behind other decorations, but it didn't light the top of the web very well.

Any product links, prices, ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Don't bother with the incandescent B/L bulbs - they're worthless. CFLs are true B/L lamps and run $8 - $10 for a 13W lamp. UV LEDs are a bit pricey, depending on where you get them, and the light is rather concentrated in a small area. Look for deals on fluorescent tube light fixtures and drop UV tubes in 'em.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you're in the states, you can get screw in florescent black light bulbs at Home Depot for $5-$8. Much cheaper than the $10 I've seen other places. Been over a month, sorry I can't remember the exact price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're in the states, you can get screw in florescent black light bulbs at Home Depot for $5-$8. Much cheaper than the $10 I've seen other places. Been over a month, sorry I can't remember the exact price.
those are incandescent B/L bulbs - they are worthless and a fire hazard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my bad - didn't see that you said fluorescent - I guess reading is fundamental - :) I wish my Home Depot did carry those but no such luck around here. :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my bad - didn't see that you said fluorescent - I guess reading is fundamental - :) I wish my Home Depot did carry those but no such luck around here. :(
I looked all over my Home Depot, they were nowhere to be found, all they had were those incandescent party bulbs, and the blacklight tubes. I guess you're not the only one with a crappy home depot.:mad:

I'll have to check out Walgreens, hopefully they have some, or I'll be ordering online.

Has anyone tried these?

* Lot of 2 * 110V AC Screw-in 38 UV LED Light Bulb - eBay (item 320274972819 end time Oct-13-08 08:51:05 PDT)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
If you have a Menards nearby, they have them too. If you can't find them, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to buy them and ship them to you at cost of course if you're willing to pay via Paypal. I've helped another member in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have a Menards nearby, they have them too. If you can't find them, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to buy them and ship them to you at cost of course if you're willing to pay via Paypal. I've helped another member in a similar fashion.
Thanks!

Do you know offhand how much they are at Menards or which ones they are?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has anyone tried these?

* Lot of 2 * 110V AC Screw-in 38 UV LED Light Bulb - eBay (item 320274972819 end time Oct-13-08 08:51:05 PDT)I bought the exact ones from ebay. They do work great, but more like a spot light. But the effect is there.
I have a similar one that emits wavelength 385 nm. This is the lower end of the spectrum of common led uv lights. I find that it shows a lot of "white" light, and it has a farily narrow spot beam. These could be good attributes. But if you want the better effect of just the uv reaction with little white light, then the flourecent tubes seem much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts